Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, December 12, 2010

Life always hands you lemons...followed by cupcakes

[Note: this is long, but I'd really appreciate it if you read it. -G]

One of the best things about the beauty community is the overwhelming love and support bloggers and readers give to each other. And sometimes, when you really could use a nice surprise or pick-me-up, it can come from unexpected places.

I've been going through some really sad personal issues in the past year. I won't bore you with the details but let's just say it hasn't exactly been a walk in the park for me lately. But with age comes wisdom, and since I'm turning the big 4-Oh tomorrow (December 13th), I feel like I'm wise enough to know this:

Life always hands you lemons...followed by cupcakes.

In other words, right after you have bad things thrown your way, small yet significant surprises still await you. Sometimes we get bogged down in the big bad things and don't even notice when the beautiful little things come our way. I'm guilty of the oh-woe-is-me attitude from time to time, but as I get older, I try to NEVER, ever be so self-consumed with the bad in life that I cannot recognize or see the beautiful little miracles and kind gestures that are right in front of my eyes.

Even if tears cloud your vision, I don't want ANY of you reading this right now to forget that goodness is out there. Sometimes you just have to wipe those tears from your eyes in order to see it.

So first and foremost I want to thank YOU, for your comments and for keeping this blog alive with your wealth of information, kindness, humor and love. As a small token of my thanks, I have added a "Top Commenters" feature on my left-hand sidebar, just as a little way to celebrate you. I tried to have it evaluate all comments from the past two years but that made my blog load very, very slowly. So it's only scanning comments made in the past few days and forward. Sorry to those of you who surely have earned top status in the history of this blog, but now everyone's on an even playing field, which I think is nice as well. I hope you agree!

Now, I'd like to thank the beautiful Miss Kelliegonzo, who, without even really knowing it, brought me joy at a time when I really needed it. I feel like KellieG. and I have always had a special little bond and I felt an instant connection with her from the moment I first visited her blog. But when she sent me a care-package for no reason at all (I mean, really, no reason) I just knew she was somethin' special. That girl's got a heart of gold, and I just want to take a minute to let her know how very much I appreciate her.

So what did she send my way? Try four nails polishes I don't already own, two of which from brands I have always wanted to try! Let's take a look at the pretty colors she sent my way:

Diamond Cosmetics Never So Evergreen
with ManGlaze Matte-Astrophe on ring finger

It's been a very long time since I owned a Diamond Cosmetics polish, and I just love love love this deep green with gold shimmer (I'd love it in an eyeshadow as well!). Kellie also sent me ManGlaze Matte-Astrophe, and I'm tickled that this is my very first ManGlaze polish! I've never been a big fan of matte polishes, but having a matte top coat is a whole different ball of wax. Now I can transform existing colors and still keep the long-wearing qualities of regular polishes intact. Yay!


Deborah Lippman Today was a Fairytale
Worn alone on pinky and ring finger
Worn over Milani Cyperspace on middle and index finger

Kellie also sent me the Deborah Lippmann polish (how generous was that?) and I LOVE it. I was curious to see what it would look like alone and also layered over another polish, so I dug out Milani Cyberspace from my own stash to play with.

Here is Today was a Fairytale worn alone--I love how the base is such clear blue--it reminds me of clean ocean water and the glitter looks like it's just softly floating in that water. Aaaaah!


I thought that layering it over Cyberspace was going to make it extra-blingy, but in fact I think it dulls it down a bit. I much prefer it alone, after looking at these pics.

Kellie also sent me my very first CND polish, but I'll reserve that for its own separate review.

Thank you so very much, Kellie, for such a lovely and random act of kindness.

And also, I want to thank each and every one of YOU for your unending support and love. I know I haven't been the best at responding to comments/tweets/facebook/email these past several months, but it's very important to me to let you know that NO comment or email goes unnoticed. I read every single one of them, and I cannot begin to explain in this post how your words and kindness have impacted my life. Without even knowing it, each one of you has gotten me through some pretty tough times. For that, I will be forever grateful and in your debt.

G. xo

PS: And while I'm at it, I want to give a special shout-out to some other fellow bloggers who are not just bloggers to me, but dear, dear friends. Please give them some love if you haven't already:


There are so many readers, bloggers, tweeters, Facebook pals and vloggers I would like to add to this list, so please know that in 2011, I WILL be mentioning all of you. 2011 is my Year of Gratitude, and I intend to shower love and thanks to all of you next year--you can count on that.
SHARE:

33 comments

  1. **hugs**

    This is such a beautiful, heartfelt post. Thank you for what you do everyday.

    Whatever is going on, know that you aren't alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww honey thank u! i hope that everything gets MUCH better for u! and I teared up a little that uve been going through difficult times but u still see the bright side. really admire u for that <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww hope everything gets better from now on G! I hope you know how much we all love and appreciate you! Happy birthday tomorrow lovely lady <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww you're so sweet and I admire you so much! It's part of why I enjoy reading your blog so much you're so dedicated and I feel like you're easy to relate too! *hug* Love the DC green on this post! Gorgeous! I wonder where I can get my hands on this as I adore green polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweetie I am glad you feel the love! You called out some wonderful ladies, especially Kimberly, Nicole, and Kellie! Love those girls, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! I'm a newer follower but Ive been lurking on your blog for awhile. Thanks for all YOUR hardwork and Happy Early Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so glad that we are friends G and that i could (in a small way) make your days a little brighter. love you sooo much girl!!!! and those polishes look AAAMMMAAAZZZIINNGG on ya!
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope things get better for you. I love reading your blog because you seem like such an amazing person and everything you write, even this, leaves me feeling a little better at the world. I guess that may be be a weird feeling to get from reading a blog post about mascara or something, but I think you have the power to do that to people. I hope your birthday is amazing and the rest of your days are too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an amazing post. And you are an amazing woman and blogger. I always get so excited to read all of your blog posts each and every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy early birthday, G!
    You know you're amazing when Canadians follow you even though we don't even score the same deals as you Americans do!
    I love reading you blog because when I do make trips across the border, I know what and where to score deals or just products I must pick up.
    You do so much for the beauty community, it's insane! You should be handed cupcakes on a daily basis because you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!

    And those little things really do make life seem better when things are rough. One of the things I love about your blog is how much you do care about your commenters. It's nice for us! Also, I looooove that Diamond Cosmetics polish. I meant to buy it while free shipping was going on but I forgot. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday and thanks so much for the uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think one of the reasons your readers love you so much is posts like this. You give us a little piece of yourself and it's more than just a blog, it feels like you really invite us into your home. There are lots of blogs out there with some very good info, but sometimes the feel is just so impersonal. Not here. You're the first beauty blogger who really welcomed me and soon after, Kellie did too! I just love her and her blog. (She's probably saying, "Wait, what????" right about now. My comments somehow are linked to my blog so over there I'm cheap thrillss.)

    I hope you have a fabulous birthday!

    Hey! Diamond cosmetics had free shipping and I missed it???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. *huge hugs* You are such a sweetie and I hope you know if you ever need someone to talk to, I love to listen. I hope you're having a wonderful birthday! You have a huge heart and I hate to hear of you having a hard time. I only wish I could take that load from you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww I hope things get much much better for you soon! You deserve it! That's why I love your blog over any other one: you take time to actually make us feel like a part of this community. You take time to make us feel welcome. Not to mention you are always the first to let me in on amazing drugstore deals and finds. =] I truly do hope everything gets well soon! And I also want to thank you so much for all the hard work and dedication you put into this blog. You ROCK, G! =D

    oh, and pretty polishes! I've been wanting to try some Deborah Lippman for a while now, but they are so darn pricy for me! haha maybe someday! =]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday G! Please thank your parents for gifting me with such an amazing friend on YOUR birthday.

    xo
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've said it before, I'll say it again -- I just love ya G! We appreciate and thank you for all you do for us, your "fans"! :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SWEET G...... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am having a really rough year myself but reading this post made me smile and reminds me to put things into perspective. Thank you for your blog and for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a very Happy Birthday Gianna!!! I loved turning 40! Anyway thanks for the words of wisdom that I shall try to remember. Lost 4 family members this year including my wonderful Dad, so I have been eager to kick 2010 out the door! I am waiting for 2011 and getting my own positive mind set back! Your blog has been my little jewel every morning since I discovered it during the past spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. awww, isn't it awesome how a tiny little present like nailpolish can make you smile?

    i think 2010 has totally blown for almost everyone, we're all ready for a new start!

    i'm about to hit one of those big scary birthdays ending with a -0 too, i know the feeling. i hope you have a wonderful birthday! buy yourself something pretty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday to a fellow Sag (mine follows yours on 12/16 ... and I hit 40 a couple years back AND lived to tell about it, so THERE lol)!

    Thank you for posting this ... it's what I needed to hear, too, as life hasn't been too kind on my end this year, either :-/ I need to remember to wipe away the tears so I can see more clearly.

    Hang in there, know that you're not alone, and that cupcakes await us all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an incredibly beautiful post. I understand where you're coming from, and my heart is with you during everything you're going through. I consider you one of my best blogging buddies and I'm so glad that we randomly found each other over Twitter and have had the ability to become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. awe, that is so sweet! :] and such a nice post too.

    Happy birthday, hope you have another blessed day today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. just wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I hope you have an awesome day, and here's to an awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i don't know what's been hitting you, but i can relate- it's been that kind of year for me too- and i will follow your example in spreading the love and appreciation in 2011.

    your blog has saved me hundreds of dollars- no lie- and encouraged me to spend some of those savings. :)

    and your personality and humour are so genuine, i feel like i know you and we're just chatting over lunch or something. it's unique and rare.

    don't ever change!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. G, I hope your 2011 is better!

    Happy birthday! If I were born on my due date, we'd have been exactly 10 years apart! :-) But apparently I was comfortable where I was because I waited almost 2 more weeks, LOL.

    I hope you're enjoying your day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's almost 2011 :) Who knows what that will bring! I hope great things will happen for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy birthday G!!
    I normaly don't comment in any blog that i visit, but this time I'll make an exception because I love you'r blog, I really do, I visit every day if i can, and the most important thing its that I love you!! cuz you are a very nice and lovely person, never change please don't :)
    I send my love to you from mexico!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i just loved reading this G! we love you, and hope you have an amazing birthday! more good days to come in 2011!

    love ya.
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday, love! Hope that you have a wonderful day and BTW, you're amazing (don't ever forget that!!).

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just recently discovered your blog, and I love it!.
    I wish you a wonderful birthday, and all the best :).
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Burpday a few minutes late, G! *BEEEEG Burpday hugs*

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig