Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, December 18, 2009

Review: New Limited Edition Milani Crystal Eyez Sparkling Eye Shadow

It's kind of bumming me out that I seem to be having much better luck lately with the beauty products I've been buying at the dollar store versus the ones I've been purchasing at drugstores. Oops, I guess I kind of gave away my thoughts on this new Milani eyeshadow, didn't I! I rarely write reviews on this blog for products I don't like (I'd rather spend my time focusing on products I LOVE) but since this is a limited edition product that I was SUPER excited about, I'm guessing that you might be sort of interested too. So read on if you'd like the (sad) details.

I was totally blown away last week when I saw this display for these new Milani Limited Edition Crystal Eyez Eye Shadows. I rarely pay full price for drugstore brands (I usually have the patience of a saint and wait until there's a good BOGO) but this time I just couldn't resist. I purchased the shade 04 Gorgeous & Glowing, which is a sparkly teal green shade:





These pics really do not do this product justice. The tube is soooo beyond pretty in person.





According the package, this is supposed to be a "quick dry gel based formula" that promises "intense sparkle". The package also states that it's "A smooth and lasting eye shadow with glimmers and pearls that delivers a sparkling finish on the lids."

So there you go: it clearly states that this is an eye SHADOW, right? No confusion there. And that's exactly why I bought it. An eyeshadow with this much gold and multi-colored sparkle? How could I not try this? From looking at the tube, one would assume that the gold and multi-colored micro-glitter is in a teal green base, right? Am I crazy to have assumed this?

Well, I'm afraid that my assumptions were way off target. This is no eye SHADOW, my friends. This is a straight up glitter gel. And the teal green base? HA! Think again. This is a standard glitter gel in a CLEAR base, just like the dozens of other glitter gels currently at the drugstore.

Here is it, straight out of the tube:




And here is one coat on my hand:



And finally, here's two coats on my hand (I waited about five minutes in between coats):



Green glitter gel in a clear base!

In all fairness, I did try this on my eyes, TWICE, before writing this review. I tried it layered over an eyeshadow (big mistake as it completely destroyed the pigment of the eyeshadow) and then I also tried it alone, on clean lids. On clean lids, it was much easier to apply, but the look of it was...not great. I used two coats and after the second coat dried down, my eyelids looked dirty. I mean, it looked like I had green glitter and a bit of dirt on my lids. Not a great look, right? And then, to add insult to injury, after a few hours the clear gel based turned WHITE on my lids. Oh, and then the glitter started to dry up and flake off and fall into my eyes and down my cheeks.

I really, really, REALLY tried to find something positive to say about this product, and maybe I would be more kind about it if I didn't feel cheated. The labels says this is an eye SHADOW, but really it's just a standard glitter gel, and not a very good one at that.

I would try to give this a shot as a liner but honestly, I just don't have the heart to play around with this product anymore.

Do you own any Crystal Eyez Sparkling Eye Shadows? Are you having better luck with them than I am? As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Boo! That totally sucks, it was on my wishlist. I'm glad you reviewed this though, as its very deceptive. I don't need any green glitter gel! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that it didn't work out for you -- I actually anticipated that this was going to be EXACTLY as you discovered was true :-/ I figured it might be a clear gel with suspended glitter in it, because in all reality, I just can't see any company making a product that looks as pigmented & as glittery as these tubes appear to be, simply because it wouldn't fit what most people wear on a day-to-day basis.

    So they watered it down :-/

    I have to say, while you like writing about what you love (I'm the same way), I always appreciate hearing when a BAD product comes around, because it truly does help me out when deciding on whether I think something might work for me.

    So good, bad, or otherwise, keep up the great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I wanted to try these badly too but I appreciate your review. It's sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 7 year old niece would be so happy with this Milani product...she loves glitter. I hope she doesn't when she becomes 21.

    Too bad it was a dissapointment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looked really awesome in the tube, but you're right, it does seem more of a glitter gel... sorry it didnt work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How disappointing! I almost bought some of these too! This means that the picture on the promotional display was hugely misleading because it showed a model's eye made up with bright pigmented colors, not clear glitter gel. =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer. That's totally fals advertising. I'd demand my money back and these products taken off of shelves immediately. No one else should have to go through what you did. Gel flakes are horrible.

    But remember when glitter was all the rage and everyone bought truckloads of glitter gels? I thought I looked so cyte but now that I think of it, I looked more like a giant disco ball. LOL!

    *Shakes head* That's a sin I swore never to commit again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like those glitter glues you would use in first grade :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the bright side, if you do decide to make some sorta Holiday decoration... this would really work. Sorry that it didn't work out! That's a bummer. But it's so nice to have you around to tell us what to buy and what no to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LisaKate: Sorry to take the fun out of a wishlist item but...yeah...it's nothing but a green glitter gel. And not a very good one that at that. :(

    Lipstick Chick: You've got great intuition! I guess I was hoping that, since this is limited edition, Milani would maybe pull out all the stops and give us something really wow-worthy for the holidays. Too bad that didn't happen. lol. And thank you so much for the kind words about my negative reviews. I'm so glad you find them helpful--I always feel guilty when I write about something that REALLY didn't work for me, but I have to remember that it can help people, which makes it all worthwhile. :) xo

    Tiff: So do you think you'll not end up purchasing one now? It occurred to me that MAYBE not all of the shades are clear like this. I doubt it, but maybe? lol. xo

    Elena: Yeah, it's definitely something that young girls would love. I don't mind wearing a glittery eyeliner on a special occasion (once a year or so), but straight up glitter gel? I'm waaaaaaay too old for that business. lol! xo

    Marie: Thank you, sweetie. Me too! :(

    Rita: Yep, that display fooled me too! Such a big letdown! :(

    Shela: Yeah, it's really a bummer. I am definitely returning it (thankfully I saved the receipt). CVS has a great return policy and they won't even ask why I'm returning it (but i kind of wish they would, so that I could go off about it). lol! And yes, I do remember when glitter was all the rage...I wore it in my BIG 80s hair when I was a cheerleader in high school. I would take the gel and work it through the sides of my hair and then back-comb the heck out of it and then spray tons and tons of AquaNet on top of it all to hold the glitter in place. The good ol' days! :)

    Kristy: Good call! LOL!!! :)

    ndoodles: OMG, you're right! lol! I could have used these when I was making little Christmas Trees out of construction paper with my niece today! Too funny. And thank you so much for such a sweet comment! I'm so glad I can help. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha aww, that actually sounds really cute! I should have done something like that for my 80s dance back in hgih school. That would have been perfect!

    My glitter days were mostly from middle school. Come to think of it, I still have a few pots of loose glitter somewhere. Maybe I should break them out for a winter wonderland look?

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow nice review. I actually saw this the other at my CVS and i was so tempted to try them, but I want to wait for some reviews first. Thank god i didn't buy it. It was actually on sale at my CVS last week.

    http://sparklemidori.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shela: Oh honey, I could give you a million 100% authentic pointers if you ever have to dress up for an 80s party again! Just say the word! lol!! xo

    Angela: Thank you! I'm so glad I could help (and I'm so glad you waited to read some reviews before buying one of these--smart girl!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. to be honest, the left eye on the display looked like it was starting to crease. i'll stick with my nyx glitter cremes =(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, Milani, why ya gotta do us wrong??? Sorry that ended so crappy, hun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummy: I have never tried those glitter creams. Are they pigmented or just glitter in a clear base??

    femputer: I know, right? They get our hopes up, only to crash them down with a...glitter gel. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. i just now bought this Milani eyeshadow but in 02 beautifully brilliant which is purple! i found that mine worked a lot better than your green. it didn't make my eyelids look gross and it dried quickly. i tried it on 1 eye without eyeshadow and the other with eyeshadow and both looked great! however without using the eyeshadow i had to apply 2 coats but no harm done i love the product so maybe others might have better luck buying the 02 beautifully brilliant one!(:

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just tried the black one, Lovely & Luminous and it worked much better for me. I used it over an Urban Decay shadow stick. Maybe if you tried it over something creamier it might work better?

    ReplyDelete
  19. so these are on clearance as you know.. lol .. I almost bought it and put it back..... decided to come back home and look to see if you reviewed it... thank God i did that! what a let down!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig