Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, July 19, 2009

Drugstore Dupes: MAC Electra and NARS Ashes to Ashes

I've been getting a lot of requests to do some more drugstore dupe comparisons so here are two that are dupes of some of my favorite shades of eyeshadow!

First we have NARS Shimmer Eyeshadow Single in "Ashes to Ashes" (retail: $22), which is one of my all-time favorite taupes. I recently discovered that one of the colors in the Wet n Wild Ultimate Expression Palette "Glamorous Gems" is a fantastic dupe! Now the bad part is that, if you don't already own this palette, it may be discontinued because it's not on the WnW site anymore. BUT, you can still find it on ebay for around 3 bucks.

Here are some pics (in all pics below, NARS is on the left and WnW is on the right):


Obviously the NARS shadow has a more creamy, silky consistency but if you've used any of these Ultimate Expressions palettes you know that the shadows are finely milled and apply very smoothly with great pigmentation. So the WnW shadow really gives NARS a run for its money with this one.

Next up we have MAC Electra Eyeshadow (retail: $14.50) which is probably the best silver eyeshadow I've ever owned. It has a foil effect that is absolutely stunning, so when I discovered a dupe in one of the new Maybelline Stylish Smokes quads, I was really surprised. The dupe is the lightest shade in the "Charcoal Smokes" quad and as you can see, in the pan it doesn't look like a match at all:


Sorry for the condition of my Electra shadow but I've dropped in on the floor a million times and it's definitely seen better days. Anyway, you'd THINK that the dupe of Electra would be one of the two top colors in the Maybelline quad, right? But no! The dupe is actually that light silver shade on the lower left corner. Don't believer me? Check it out:

MAC on left, Maybelline on right

Now clearly the pigmentation of the MAC eyeshadow is better, but if you use a heavier hand with the Maybelline shadow, you can get an extremely similar result (also, for added intensity wear a cream eyeshadow in a frosty white shade as a base).

That's it for now, but please stay tuned because I've got a lot more drugstore dupe comparisons coming up in the near future.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Great finds...the colors look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an Aromaleigh color that is very similar to MAC Electra. The Aromaleigh color is called Fume. There's also a great indelible cream eye shadow called Intergalactic that is a gorgeous silver.

    And if you're looking for a dupe of NARS orgasm, Aromaleigh makes a color called Verve, and Purely Cosmetics makes a color called Blushing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you do these comparisons! Keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caramel Diva! Thanks so much! :)

    Hi Phyrra! Thanks for all the good recs on other dupes. I have really been wanting to try Purely Cosmetics so I might have to look into this. Always love a good Orgasm dupe. :)

    Hey Susan! Thank you so much for the feedback. I will definitely do some more in the near future, so thanks for taking the time to give me your input! :)

    Hey Mighty J! I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done it again!!!! I've had my eye on Ashes to Ashes for quite a long time- and I already own the WnW palette, and, to be honest, haven't looked at it in quite a while. After reading your post I decided to use the dupe color today and I can't believe I haven't used it in so long!!! Really beautiful shade :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, Tanya that is awesome! I totally saved you $22! lol. Well actually, given our mutual love of taupes, I can't really say you shouldn't own the NARS version, but the WnW dupe definite gives you the feel of the NARS shade, no doubt about it. There IS a slight nuance of a difference ( the NARS is slightly warmer while the WnW has a teeny bit more of a rose undertone running through it) but these nuances would only be obvious to US. The untrained eye wouldn't be able to tell, I'm sure of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled onto your blog and LOVE it! Ashes to Ashes is one of my faves and it's good to know there is a dupe!!

    Michelle
    lipstickrules.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Michelle! Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not alone in my Ashes to Ashes love. lol. :) I just checked out your blog and followed it--loving it so far! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig