Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Curly and wavy-haired girls, this one's for you


Let me start by saying that you can find this product for about $4 (more or less) at your local drugstore and you can often find trial-size bottles at your local dollar store. And I'm telling you, if you're a curly or wavy haired girl, run and get yourself some now.

Suave Healthy Curls Curl Enhancing Spray Gel is one of those sleeper products that you see on the shelf in the haircare aisle and think, "Eeh, I don't know about that one." I know I have personally seen it and never thought twice about giving it a shot. Even when I received this product as part of larger mailing a month ago, it was one of the last ones to tempt me because I was simply afraid of getting the "crunchies".

Now I am hating myself for not trying it sooner. I've suffered for too long with inconsistent curls and I'm happy to say that's now a thing of the past.

Reading the curly hair message boards makes me feel like an idiot for never considering this product in the past. Curly haired girls know what they're talking about and so many of them recommend this. That should have been my first clue.

But let me warn you: The key to this product (and any product for that matter) is figuring out exactly how much to use in your hair. A little too much and you will get the crunchies, not enough and you won't get those beautiful, consistent ringlets.

When I finally found my "sweet spot" and figured out exactly how many pumps to use in my wet hair, I was left with piecey, defined, and consistent curls that literally shocked me. I really didn't know that my hair could get this curly, even up near the roots where my hair is usually at its straightest.

My tips for curly and wavy haired girls: Make sure that your hair is super wet when you use this. You'll probably use too much on the first application because, well, you'll be excited to see results (at least that's what happened with me). Once you get the hang of it, just spray and scrunch and either air-dry or dry with your diffuser. You'll see the difference instantly and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, unlike other spray gels, you can use this on dry hair as a curl refresher. I'm always scared to put any type of curl-enhancing product on my dry hair, but if you use a light hand and spray it just once in each section that needs it, your curls will spring back to life and not feel crunchy.

Also, if you do get "the crunch," you can scrunch your dry hair and it will loosen up. And it won't leave flakes, which is another wonderful bonus.

Final analysis: I've tried many salon-brand and drugstore-brand curl enhancing products over the years and nothing has worked this well to give me curls. The boyfriend asked me if I used curlers when he saw me (as if I'd ever have the patience for that business) and he said my hair looked "so pretty." Honestly, it looked just like this.

Give this one a try and leave me a comment with your opinion, or definitely leave me a comment if you already use this wonder product and make fun of me for not trying it sooner :)

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I'll be sure to pick some up for my curly haired clients! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie! If you get some, please tell me how you like working with it and if your clients like it? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Target to try and pick this up but they don't have it and now I searched online and it seems like it is hard to find! I really want to try this! Where did you get yours??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alexandra! I am SO sorry--I actually *just* found out today that this has been discontinued. Go figure, huh? The good news: you can find it on ebay (there's an auction running now for 2 bottles for $10) and also Amazon.com has it for $8.99 a bottle. Also, check your nearest Big Lots and dollar stores. I am seeing other recently discontinued Suave products at my Big Lots for $1.50 a piece, so I'm hoping this will make an appearance soon. And please don't worry--I WILL find another inexpensive product for us curly haired girls and I'll post about it soon. I'm on a mission! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing thanks for posting this. i have extremely curly wavy hair. hope this works with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Krystal! Glad you liked this post! I have since found out that this product has been discontinued, but I hear you can still find it at Big Lots and some dollar stores. Hope you can find it in your area if you're looking for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig