Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, March 10, 2014

Swatches & Comparisons: NEW Revlon Graffiti Top Coat 678

Are you "over" graffiti/splatter polishes yet? If this answer is no, then I hope this post helps you determine whether or not you "need" one of the new Revlon Graffiti Top Coats!

To refresh your memory, Revlon added some new shades to their permanent, core polish line this year, which I first showed you back in January. I have since found these polishes both in the permanent display and, in the case of the graffiti polishes, also in a little counter display like this.

Revlon Glam Textures display at CVS

Nothing is new in the above display aside from the polishes--the other products are all repromotes from the permanent line.

New permanent shades for 2014: Graffiti Top Coat 678 and 732

A closer look at 732:


Here are the other new-for-2014 Revlon nail polish shades:


 New permanent shade for 2014: Chameleon 933

I believe that Chameleon might be very similar to the previous limited edition shade Rose Gold from the Revlon Spring 2013 Limited Edition Chroma Chameleon collection.

New permanent shade for 2014: Diamond Texture 929

 This is obviously a textured polish

Now that we're all up to speed, here's my review of the Graffiti Top Coat 678:

NEW Revlon Graffiti Top Coat 678
(retail: around $4.99, 0.5 oz)





One coat over a black creme + one coat of clear top coat


As you can see, the red glitter in this polish is metallic and the white glitter is matte. This was a VERY easy polish to apply, and I only had to swirl my brush in the bottle once to pick up more than enough glitter. The glitters lay flatly on the nail and the result is not bumpy or jagged to the touch (but these types of glitter polishes always look better with top coat, so that's why I applied top coat for these pics).

Dry time was excellent and I want to call attention to the fact that the clear base is not thick, goopy or watery. The glitter is quite dense in this polish, so it applies very easily--I could brush this polish onto my nail with only a little bit of dabbing required for more precise glitter placement. Overall, this is one of the best graffiti polishes I have ever applied.

Comparison:

Revlon Graffiti Top Coat 678 vs. Finger Paints Kiss By The Tree

The only polish in my stash that is similar to the Revlon Graffiti Top Coat 678 is this one from Finger Paints called Kiss By The Tree, which was part of the Finger Paints Limited Edition Holiday 2013 Collection. I managed to get it during a 50% off red tag clearance sale at Sally a while back for half of the price you see above (score!). 


As you can see, the biggest different is the color of the red glitter. The Revlon is a bit of a deeper, richer red, whereas the Finger Paints polish is a bit lighter. Also, if we're going to get nit-picky, the jumbo white glitter in the Finger Paints shade is a bit bigger than the jumbo white glitter in the Revlon shade (you can really see that difference in the pic above). Other than that, they're very similar.

Revlon vs. Finger Paints


On the nail, the color of the red glitter doesn't really look all too different when you see them side by side. The biggest difference for me, between these two polishes, is that the clear base in the Finger Paints polish is quite watery, and the glitter is not very dense. So the end result is that you don't get as much glitter on the nail, which you can see in my swatch above. Other than that, I think that if you already have the Finger Paints shade, you probably don't "need" the Revlon shade, unless you REALLY love this glitter combo and want an easier application. In that case, I say get the Revlon because it's extremely easy to apply.

I hope this post helps you to determine if this new Revlon Graffiti polish might be worth picking up at the drugstore! Do you own any of the new-for-2014 Revlon polish shades? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I wasn't crazy about the red or the black top coats, but I did pick up Diamond Texture a few weeks ago. It is beautiful and opaque in 2 coats and wears like iron. I didn't use a base coat or a top coat and it lasted 6 days before any tip ware happened. Sparkly and shiny and pretty smooth for a textured polish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the one Sally Hansen has just like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eyeing this every time I go to the drugstore but haven't bought it because I have a red and white glitter called Sparkle from the LA Girls Splatter collection. I haven't looked at any side by side comparison between mine and Revlon but by eye balling it, it's similar enough for me. Haha but I keep looking at the Revlon and trying to tell myself I don't need it! Thanks for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate this review. The glitter looks nice and dense. You can never tell by looking at the bottle. If I see this, I will consider buying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Chameleon shade looks like it could be a dupe for Deborah Lippmann "Swagga Like Us"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love my Daring you coat and Rebel top coat! The application is just wonderful like you said. I could not believe it when I applied them. I am a splatter coat fan and I just can't tolerate watery ones. (cringe) lol! Revlon is showing everyone else how it should be done. I really hope they more of these in lots of colors. I would love a blue & white , purple & white and green & white . They are so easy and quick when you want to jazz up a base color but don't have time for more time eating type nail art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! I wish I had the patience for the removal process...that's why I don't wear glitter polish as much as I would love to! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to like this, and part of me wants to pick it up just because, but I wish the red glitter was matte instead of shiny. The shiny glitter is too Christmas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did buy the red #678 glitter top coat when CVS had a discounted price on it. I am glad to read that the application is good. (I am a polish addict, so it is often quite a while before I try the polishes that I buy, since I buy them faster than I try them. So I love to read reviews even if it's of shades I already have, although I try to look them up ahead of time.)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig