Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, September 8, 2012

Swatches: Chameleon duochrome nail polishes in Nucleus and Corona

It's become a bit of a tradition for me on Saturdays to show you my "weekend manicures". So I thought I'd show you two of the new duochromes/multichromes from Chameleon today!

NOTE: Chamelon nail polishes are sold at Walmart and Rite Aid, but they're also available with everyday free shipping (no minimum order) on the CQ website. They cost a little bit more when you order them directly from CQ, but if you can't find them in your area and you really want them, it might be worth it since shipping is free.

NOTE 2: The newer Chameleon shades all have space-related names on the CQ site, in case you're not sure which are old and which are new. I purchased these two polishes at my local Rite Aid for $3.99 each and even though all of the new shades were gorgeous, these are the two that really stood out to me.

Chameleon Nucleus (left) and Corona (right)
(retail: $3.99 at Rite Aid, 0.4 oz each)

As with all duochromes/multichromes, when you view the polishes at different angles, the colors shift:

Chameleon Nucleus (left) and Corona (right)

Let's start with Nucleus:


This polish is a true "chameleon" and I'm sure it's a dupe for something, but I'm not well-versed in  non-drugstore duochromes so, if you know, please enlighten us! It's not, however, a dupe for Maybelline Downtown Brown (more on that a little bit later in this post). I'm going to show you a series of  photos taken in different forms of lighting and at different angles, so that you can get a true feeling for how much this polish shifts colors. In real life, the shifts are even more dramatic than what you see in these photos. It's kind of amazing, actually.

In all of these photos, I used three coats of polish on all fingers except for my ring finger. On my ring finger, I layered one coat of Nucleus over a black creme polish from Wet n Wild.










Next up, Corona:


In photos, the colors of Corona don't shift as dramatically. This probably has to do with the fact that Corona is a lighter color than Nucleus, but it's just as gorgeous in my opinion. The colors of Corona shift from light pink to salmon to icy baby blue to rose gold. 

In all of these photos, I used three coats of polish on all fingers except for my ring finger. On my ring finger, I layered one coat of Corona over a black creme polish from Wet n Wild.
 








Now I'd like to show you a comparison of the limited edition Maybelline Color Show polish Downtown Brown and Chameleon Nucleus:


Three coats of each polish:




As you can see, Downtown Brown isn't really a duochrome at all. It's a chocolate brown creme with teal shimmer. Nucleus is a true multichrome and shifts to several different colors depending on the light and angle. (PS: I believe that one of you asked for this comparison--if that was you, I hope this helps!)

Some thoughts:

I love both of these new Chameleon colors and I can't believe they're just $3.99 each at the drugstore. The formula of both polishes was good (not perfect--they were both a tiny bit thick but definitely workable even without adding polish thinner). Dry time was very good, and the brush strokes you see in my photos aren't nearly as pronounced in real life (yay!). As I mentioned before, I used three coats of polish for all of these photos, but you could definitely get away with two if you're not planning on taking extreme close-ups of your nails. I was expecting these polishes to be extremely sheer (like some of the older Chameleons) but they're not at all. Definitely a pleasant surprise. I wish I could have captured the multichrome effect of Corona a bit more in photos, but you'll just have to trust me that it's more apparent in real life. 

Once again, if you can't find the newer Chameleon shades at your local Walmart or Rite Aid, you can order them all here, with everyday free shipping (no minimum order required).

Do you own any Chameleon polishes (new or old)? What are some of your favorites?

PS: I wish I could remember who first told me that Chameleon released new shades--it was a few weeks ago and I tried to find the comment but I couldn't locate it. If it was you, please let me know so I can thank you!
SHARE:

43 comments

  1. Wow, I haven't heard of this brand, but I'm loving both polishes!! Nucleus looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have been able to introduce you to a fun, affordable duochrome brand! :)

      Delete
  2. You had me at 'hello' with both of these! I'd heard of the brand, but never saw any bottles or swatches that I can recall. I'm over my nail polish budget for the rest of the year (budget? what budget?) but I have to check out their website. I'm going to have start painting my cats' toenails soon! My fiance will not volunteer his. ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Omg, this comment cracked me up, Isis! If I had a dime for every time I've begged Mr. G to let me paint his toes (even just ONE toe) and every time he's said ”no way”, I'd be rich right now. ;)

      Delete
  3. I just bought Corona when I was visiting home in August! Didn't realize it was new. It's gorgeous, but I have problems with it bubbling, and I can't even remember the last polish I had that bubbled. I guess I should wait longer between coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum...I didn't get ant bubbling, and I was even painting with a fan on in the room. Weird! Maybe you got a wonky bottle? :(

      Delete
    2. It happens...remember that sally Hansen I reviewed a while back that was just horrible for me, and then lots of people said it worked beautifully for them? I hate that. :(

      Delete
  4. Truth be told I would have passed these up because of the plain bottle, but they look very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the holographic lettering didn't catch your eye? ;)

      Delete
  5. I've never seen these before but Nucleus was an absolute must have so I ordered right away! So gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

      Delete
  6. I have an oldie that looks kind of like nucleus.. I think its sally hansen nail prisms its so old the label is faded.. I have it in turquoise opal.. these are pretty I definitely live the corona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny that you mention that, because I actually have an old nail prism that looks like Corona! Lol! I bought it at Dollar Tree about a year ago when that massive, strange influx of nail prisms showed up without warning! :)

      Delete
  7. pretty...I love duo chrome polishes! I wonder why I've never heard of this brand before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, but you definitely need some of these in your stash! ;)

      Delete
  8. wow I did not know Wal-Mart carry these! I need to find them! They look beautiful on your swatches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I don't shop there often, but the last time I was there, last year, the display was pretty picked over, but hopefully your store has them!

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for this! I happen to live in one of the states that doesn't have Rite Aid, so that is a no-go for me. And I have never seen this brand at my Walmart locations, either. So, without this post, I never would have known about this duo-chromey goodness.

    Once my wallet has recovered from some recent abuse, I will be hitting up that website. :)

    Thanks for another wonderfully detailed post. You are so thorough; I just cannot get over it. XO :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey, that's so very sweet of you to say!! <3

      Once your wallet's wounds heal, let me know which shades you order? :) xo

      Delete
  10. I couldn't find these at the Rite Aid in Del Mar which admittedly isn't always the most well stocked - which one did you find these at? I'm in a mission to find Nucleus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually seen them at multiple rite aids in the SD area. Are you looking just in the makeup aisle? Because these are located in the nail care aisle, right next to all the artificial nails, tools, etc. They're next to the CQ, Petites, Jesses Girl Julie G and Revlon scented polishes. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. Okay here we go again, yet anoter trip to RiteAid!! :)) I have never even noticed these polishes before..but fell in love when you should the swatches! I must have them..I must especially Nucleus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Maybe you never noticed them because they're not with the makeup? They're in the nail care aisle (see comment above). :)

      Delete
  12. I only have 2 Chameleon polishes - but will look again now that you say there are some new shades out. Curious you said these were a tish thick as the ones I have are really thin. I would think you would see more color shift coming out on Corona if you used it over a deep blue or deep purple. Will be curious to see if my Rite Aide has these - it's not good about getting new stuff in - kind of hit miss - and it's a good 65 mile drive to the next Rite Aide. I agree the price point for Chameleon is great - just have not had good luck with the formulas. Interesting your comparison to Downtown Brown and how it's not really a duochrome but just a top shimmer that comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color shift in general doesn't come through in my pics; even on its own and over black in my pics above, its way more apparent in real life.

      I would definitely call before you make the trek! In the Chameleon display, there is an actual shelf devoted to the new shades with a sign that says ”new”, so it would be easy for an employer to tell you if they have the new shades. Just ask them to check if there's a shelf within the display that says ”new shades”. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  13. I think Corona is going to come live at my house! Or actually on my nails! I had a random Chameleon polish a couple of years ago that was a douchrome. It seems like this brand is the king (queen) amongst douchromes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Corona will look beautiful on you, Robin! :)

      And I agree...Chameleon is definitely the Queen of drugstore duochromes!

      Delete
  14. I never heard of Chameleon myself! I tend to go to Wal-Mart almost every week along with Walgreens, but never heard of Chameleon. Hmm...maybe a stop on the way back from the gym tomorrow for me? lol The only duo chromes I have are the China Glaze Prismatics and the Wet N Wild Be Jeweleds, so maybe I should check these out since I love shiny looking polishes. And I did used to have a Nail Prism but had to toss it due to drying.

    And to Isis, that is funny! I think the only time I would have my fiance paint his nails is for cosplay. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always order online with the free shipping if you really want some. :)

      Delete
  15. Nucleus is wow,amazing.This brand can't be found in my area,so I've never tried it.Nice to know they're sold online.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm, Nucleus looks to me a bit like Orly's Galaxy Girl, but at a considerably lower price point! Thanks for the swatches, G.

    P.S. Check your e-mail and let me know if you want the stamping plate with the seahorse, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, i'm so sorry. I'm currently about six months being on my email...when did you send it? Thank you!!

      Delete
  17. Oooh, pretty! We don't have Rite Aid where I live, but maybe Walmart will have them if I'm lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi G! I mentioned these in the "You Tell Me" section a few weeks ago. I'm so glad you tried them! I haven't seen them at the RA closest to me yet, just the one in my old home town. So I hope your readers don't have too much trouble finding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, thank you!!!!! I was trying to find the original comment and couldn't locate it, so i'm SO glad you let me it was you, honey!! You ROCK! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I checked the product numbers on the website, and I'm pretty sure that anything in the "30s" range is new. I haven't done a comparison in person yet, but Waltz reminds me of Orly Royal Velvet/Mysterious Curse.

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried looking for these at the Wal-Mart Inear me and they said they don't have them. They just got Sinful into that location not too long ago. I did get two Pure Ice polishes in Rescue Me and Cheating. I am going to see if my fiance can find them near him. If not, there's always the net!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these. I must get Nucleus. It reminds me of one of the old Sally Hansen prisms.
    Another nice duochrome is CQ Idyllic - very fall color too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. picked up nucleus for $.49 - loves!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig