Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Weekend Manicure: Kleancolor Aurora

Weekends are the time when I really cut loose and have fun with my nails, and for this weekend I chose what is probably my all-time favorite glitter polish (strong words, I know, but I really, really love this one):

Kleancolor Aurora
(retail: around $1.99 at indie beauty supply stores across the nation, 0.5 oz)

Here's a macro shot:


Aurora contains irridescent medium hexagonal and small hexagonal glitter (no chunky hex glitter here), and also medium pink star glitter. This wonderful glitter cocktail is floating around in a light pink jelly base (not really visible on the nail unless you do multiple coats).

My favorite way to wear Aurora is over a plain black creme, as I think this really brings out the rainbow of colors in the hex glitter. Aurora is one of those polishes that can mirror the color of the base you're using, and you can see that in these swatches here.  So I prefer to wear it over black because it provides a striking contrast, but it's also gorgeous over lighter shades for a softer look.

Lots o' swatches after the jump...


In all of these photos, I did one thick coat of Aurora over a black creme from Wet n Wild. The one thing that I don't like about this polish is that, in order to get the stars on your nails, you have to go "fishing" for them with your brush. The medium and small hex glitter are not a problem with regular application, but come on, you have to have at least a few stars on each nail when you wear this polish, right?

Here are my nails in a variety of different lights:









One coat of Gelous base coat followed by one coat of Seche Vite top coat make this polish perfectly smooth to the touch (by the way, I want to thank all of you for suggesting using Gelous + Seche Vite to smooth out bumpy polishes, because that combo really works like a champ!). 

I really can't express to you how much I love this combo--it just plain makes me happy every time I see it. If you can't find Aurora in your town (check your indie beauty supply stores), I've seen it on Amazon for about $1.50 per bottle.

What are you wearing on your nails this weekend?

Some of the products featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for previous reviews.
SHARE:

29 comments

  1. I was in Rite Aid looking for that beautiful Poison Ivy color from WnW but it doesn't seem they stock it. I'm jealous, which is saying something because while I love polish on other people, but not really on myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart aurora. Such an underrated gem of a polish. Works well with lighter colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually see kleancolor in locally owned 88/99 cent stores in my town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. flea markets are HUGE hit for klean color in Cali, ones that ive been too. while they have tons of color choices, some can be a bit goopy and can literally take hours to dry (without seche of course) but they are manageable enough to make work :)
    looove this glitter mani!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Runs out to find this polish*

    I need this in my life, on my hands, and on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own this polish and actually never noticed the stars. It's a sad sign about just how many polishes I own, LOL! It looks great in your swatches, thanks for sharing your weekend mani! I'm going to have to see if I can find it again.;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, first time I've seen this polish and it's super cheap! Gotta pick this up some time.

    Love the look over the black polish, G! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where can I find a store that sells this in SD?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kleancolors! these are $1-$1.50 at my local swap meet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I think I need this! If anyone knows of any stores that carry it in South Florida please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a galaxy far far away! I get Kleancolor at the regional farmers market about sn hour from home for $1 each and no tax! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh! Looks like Galaxy Nails w/o all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty. I love the way the glitter looks, AH-MAZE-ING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If anyone in the U.S. wants this polish I have it in my facebook polish swap pile (it was swatched once) but I'd be happy to send it to someone for free. I just never use it and it's too cute to keep on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take it! You can email me at koolkx7@yahoo.com =)

      Delete
    2. I tried but that e-mail address didn't work. :( E-mail me at peabodyisall[@] gmail.com

      Delete
  15. G, where in SD do you pick up KleanColor? I've heard it's at Kobey's and I once found a lone Chunky Holo Black at an Everything $1 store, but am looking for a bigger selection than, well, one - LOL :D

    If you have any recs, I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought this nail polish a couple of years ago solely because, Aurora is my Daughters name, and have never used it. After seeing your mani that's about to change so, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm dying to get my hands on some kleancolors because I live in the UK its so hard for me to get hold of them :(

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh!! I'm lemming this even more now!! ):

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love stars! The only thing is, it looks like maybe it's really thick, could just be the pictures, though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is really amazing over black, and the star glitter is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anyone know if Kleancolor is cruelty-free? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't found Kleancolor where I am, but did find it relatively cheap at Beauty Joint - http://www.beautyjoint.com/nails/kleancolor-nail-lacquer ($1.75 a bottle isn't too shabby!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't found Kleancolor where I am, but did find it relatively cheap at Beauty Joint - http://www.beautyjoint.com/nails/kleancolor-nail-lacquer ($1.75 a bottle isn't too shabby!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wet 'n' Wild black creme is my favorite black polish! It goes on so smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found this brand at Ross's this weekend in several mini collections for 3.99.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig