Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, September 28, 2012

Five Buck Friday


It's Friday and you know what that means! Here are some Nouveau-Cheap-approved beauty bargains for your Friday that, when purchased together, add up to...you guessed it...five bucks!

e.l.f. Essential Luscious Liquid Lipstick in Cherry Tart (retail: $1 at Target and the e.l.f. website). To be honest, I'm kind of "over" the whole click-pen delivery system for lip colors, but I do love it when they have the sponge applicator and you can see the gloss come up through the holes (kind of reminds me of Play-Doh from when we were kids). For a buck, I think Cherry Tart delivers such a pretty, natural-looking wash of color to the lips, and it's one of those universally-flattering shades that would look great on practically anyone. You can check out my original review from 2010 here, with swatches. As far as glosses go, this is one of my all-time favorites.

Keep reading for more Five Buck Friday fabulousness...

Wet n Wild Megalast Nail Color in I Need A Refresh-Mint (retail: $1.99 at all major drugstores, currently on sale in-store and online at Walgreens through tomorrow, 9/29, for $1.49). Tiffany Blue is one of those iconic colors that materialized in nail polish form when China Glaze released their shade For Audrey (obviously a reference to Audrey Hepburn, star of Breakfast at Tiffany's). It's no surprise that other brands have emulated the famous Tiffany Blue, and I can think of no better, affordable version than Wet n Wild I Need A Refresh-Mint. This is a spot-on dupe of For Audrey (don't believe me? Click here). Quite simply, you need this color in your life (and on your fingers...and toes).

Bonne Bell Lip Smacker Dr. Pepper Lip Balm (retail: $1.99 at drugstore.com and most major drugstores). I've been saying this for years (seriously, since I first started this blog in 2009) but if you were to only own one Lip Smacker lip balm, make it Dr. Pepper. Because not only does it have a fun, effervecent scent and flavor, but the color payoff is better than most other Lip Smacker balms I've owned (granted, it's not super pigmented, but it's better than others). It delivers a sheer, Your Lips But Better flush to the lips (sort of warm, reddish-rose) and it's an easy go-to type of product to wear on light or no makeup days when you just want a little bit of color on your lips to avoid having people ask, "Are you sick?" (OK, that last part might not be a question people ever ask of you, but they do ask that of me on no-makeup days!).

There you have it! Another Friday, another list of products that will set you back a whopping $5 total at your local drugstore, Target, etc. Happy Friday, everyone!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I totally agree with you're listing I Need a Refresh-Mint. I wearing it right now & I love it. Almost opaque in one coat and the brush isn't too bad, once you get used to it. What makes my mani even better is that I painted WnW's Fergie polish in Mermaid's Curves as a gradient over I Need a Refresh-Mint on my ring finger as a accent nail. The mani was easy to do, is simple but has a bit of WOW factor, and cost me $4 at the most (I got the polishes & several other WnW things on sale & had couple of $1 off coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Need A Refresh-Mint is a really cute color! :D

    I'm curious about the Dr. Pepper Lip Balm too, haha. I'd like to try it sometime~ ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore WnW I Need a Refresh-Mint! I agree that its a spot on dupe for CG For Audrey. As much as I love CG, I swear I get better wear out of WnW MegaLast formula.

    I love Bonnie Bells's Dr Pepper lipsmacker for quick color that I can just slap on sans mirror. The ELF Liquid Lipstick in Cherry Tart looks lovely. For a buck I will have to hit Kmart and try it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! The owole no make-up days is opposite for me. My mom is barating me on wearing it when I only wear concealer, pen and liquid eyeliner, and whatever lip product I am wearing that week, while on work out days I just use my lip products for that week. Anyways, I have two Dr. Pepper glosses in the stick form because I ended up getting one while at CVS getting some more LipSmackers stuff, almost got a party pack but found the Bubblegum and Dr. Pepper ones instead since I still have some of the originals fleftover. And the other one came from the Dr. Pepper and Friends trio that came with a Dr. pepper one, an A&W Root Beer one, and the 7Up one! I love Lip Smackers and using the M&Ms one now. :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, thank you G! Gotta check out that e.l.f. lipstick! By the way, I totally get the whole "Are you sick?" thing when I don't wear makeup. Specifically, eye liner. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all three and I concur!!!!! Wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this segment on your blog. Last week I bought some of the things you listed including the NYC top coat. I found it at Target. Sadly, there was only 1 bottle left. Every time I go, I notice that the NYC polishes are never restocked. It's so annoying. Their website says that Family Dollar carries them in Chicago. So, I'll try there. But anyway, dude, you were right. LOVE IT! I have refresh-mint and Cherry Tart and I love them so much!
    Also, I saw the elf reptile collect at target. The nail polishes looked impressive. They weren't the ones that they already have in their core collection (aside from 1-2?).
    There was a black that had a pretty teal/greenish shimmer and a black with a blue shimmer. And a cream burgundy color. I would've bought them but the bottles are so small didn't seem worth it >.<

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does anyone have Zoya's Kristen? How does the "refresh-mint" polish compare in shade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have both Kristen and Refresh-mint and they are very, very different. Kristen is a dusty pastel blue, while Refresh-mint is a bright pastel green-blue. I think they would work well together in for a manicure, though!

      Delete
  9. Hi! I have a question...does anyone have Zoya's Kristen? How does it compare to the Refresh-Mint color? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to say that I really like this series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with Cherry Tart! It's such a great shade. I'm digging your new series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree about I Need a Refresh-Mint. I picked it up a couple of months ago when Rite Aid had it 40% off. I love how opaque it gets in just 2 coats and it lasts a long time for me with a topcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's funny. I have 'I Need a Refresh-Mint.' and I've been meaning to use it, but I keep forgetting it. I feel bad for neglecting it now. so thanks for reminding me!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this series! I have For Audrey, so I didn't feel the need for "Refreshment." I did, however, feel the need for "Mint Apple" from the company that shall not not be named. I think I will try the Cherry Tart next time I visit Target. I can use a little color on my face. ;)

    Thanks, G!

    ReplyDelete
  15. G, I can't even tell you how much I love this series! Totally agree both about I Need a Refresh Mint AND the Dr.Pepper lip smacker!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally got distracted by my WnW manicure with I Need a Refreshment that I forgot to say how much I love the Dr Pepper Lip Smacker too. Not only do I have the regular size, but I carry the Big Fatty size in my purse at all times. I'll also mention that I'll be 40 soon & I love the fact that I carry giant Lip Smackers (I also have the Vanilla one & it smells so yummy) in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm currently wearing "I Need A Refresh-Mint" with the Sally Hansen gold crackle on top, have adored Lip Smacker's Dr. Pepper Lip Balm for YEARS and bought, but have not worn Cherry Tart but now I know that I'm going to love it :D This coincidence is bizarre/awesome -- now I need backups of all 3!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig