Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: Revlon PhotoReady 3D Volume Mascara

Of all the new 2012 drugstore makeup products I have recently purchased (I'll be reviewing all of those products in the days to come, by the way), this new mascara was the one I actually had the least expectations about. Sure, I've heard the raves, but mascara is such a highly subjective thing; could it possibly be that great FOR ME? Read on to find out!

 Revlon PhotoReady 3D Volume Mascara in Blackest Black
(retail: $6.79 at Bed Bath & Beyond, 0.34 oz)

As far as I could tell by looking at the counter display, there is not a waterproof version of this mascara (or at least there wasn't one in the counter display at Bed Bath & Beyond).




The first thing you're going to notice about this mascara is the unique brush. It really stands out and is quite different than other drugstore mascara brushes because of the rounded tip:


If you are the type of person who uses your mascara wand in a vertical position to apply your mascara to your outer lashes and/or your lower lashes, you are going to LOVE this brush. I hold my wand in a vertical position for about 50% of the time I'm applying my mascara, so I. AM. IN. LOVE. WITH. THIS. BRUSH. Like the packaging indicates, the rounded tip "helps reach every last lash." Revlon is not exaggerating here. It really DOES reach every last lash for me, even the baby fine short ones. And it does so effortlessly.


I thought it might be helpful for me to compare this brush to a brush you're probably quite familiar with: the CoverGirl Lashblast Fusion brush:


In terms of thickness, it's about the same as the CG brush but as you can see, the Revlon brush is longer. Also, notice how the CG brush has a standard, flat tip.


Another thing I want to note (looking at the image above) is that the wand itself is shorter than most. If you like a long wand, you might find the Revlon wand to be a bit difficult to work with. I personally wish it were a tad longer because I find my hand sometimes gets in the way when I'm trying to reach the inside corners of my eyes.

Let's cut to the chase and give you some before-and-afters:

NO MASCARA:


NO MASCARA:

AFTER ONE COAT OF REVLON PHOTOREADY 3D VOLUME MASCARA:


AFTER ONE COAT OF REVLON PHOTOREADY 3D VOLUME MASCARA:


AFTER TWO COATS OF REVLON PHOTOREADY 3D VOLUME MASCARA:


AFTER TWO COATS OF REVLON PHOTOREADY 3D VOLUME MASCARA:


AFTER TWO COATS OF REVLON PHOTOREADY 3D VOLUME MASCARA:


This is not the perfect mascara, but it's pretty darned close and I can foresee MANY of you absolutely loving this product. Not only does it give amazing, clump-free definition to my lashes, it also beautifully separates them, adds lots of length, a nice amount of volume AND it also lifts and slightly curls my lashes! For reference, my lashes are pretty stick-straight and baby-fine, so to have a non-waterproof mascara that provides that extra lift and curl is just...well it's pretty amazing.

But like I said, it's not PERFECT (what mascara is, though, really?). Here are the faults that, for me personally, keep this from being my Ultimate Holy Grail Mascara:
  • The wand is a bit too short for my personal preference
  • It doesn't provide as much volume as I tend to prefer for my sparse, sad lashes
  • It dries quickly, so after your first coat you need to immediately start on your second coat or you might encounter that rough feeling (you know, when you try to apply mascara to lashes that are already dry and the brush sort of tugs and doesn't pull through easily? Yeah, that's what happens.)
But for those who don't need as much volume as I do, here are the benefits of this mascara:
  • The brush is AMAZING (especially if you tend to hold your wand in a vertical position during application--if you do, you will LOVE THIS WAND)
  • This mascara provides excellent separation, definition, lift and even a bit of curl
  • It removes easily with makeup remover (since it's washable, it actually removes easily using just my normal facial cleanser)
  • I have experienced no flaking, clumping or smudging with this mascara (though I obviously can't tell you right now, in the middle of December, how this mascara will hold up in hot weather)
  • After this mascara dries, my lashes are not hard or stiff--they are still pliable
 
FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for a new mascara that provides clump-free separation, definition, length and lift, I think you might be very pleased with this product. If you are a volume-fiend (like me), you might not be 100% satisfied with the amount of volume this mascara delivers, but I do think the other benefits can make up for this--it really depends on what you crave most from your mascara. And if you tend to hold your mascara wand in a vertical position during application, then let's not mince words here: you need to try this one. It honestly is the best brush for vertical-mascara-application that I have EVER encountered in my 25+ years of using drugstore mascaras.

Mascara lovers: have you already tried Revlon PhotoReady 3D Volume Mascara? If so, what do YOU think of it? If not, do you think it might be a good match for your needs? I'd love to hear from you!

This product was purchased with personal funds.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I was really excited about this mascara. The brush reminded me of Benefit's They're Real. Sadly, I was underwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brush tip seems similar to the benefit they're real mascara. Also the other good things u mentioned seems like it too. Could it be a drugstore dupe for they're real? Seems like it, I hope to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't WOW me...but I'm sure I'll still try it out anyway lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EliB: You know, I have heard the comparisons to Benefit They're Real too! But since I don't own the Benefit version, I can't really comment on that. :( Sorry this wasn't a love-match for you!

    KrSTYLES: Yep, that's what I've heard too. I'd love to know what you think if you try it!

    Melissa: Well at least you can return it if it doesn't work for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I get my hands on it, I'll definitely give it a shot and post a review about it on my blog. I just can't swallow paying 22 for a mascara lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you find the square shape of the handle difficult to use or was it okay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. KrySTYLES: I totally understand!

    The Lacquered Lady: Actually no! It's easy for me to hold, but it's the length of the wand that bothers me. If it were just a little bit longer I feel like it wouldn't feel as bulky. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have to try this for the brush alone. I've heard so many amazing things about the Benifit They're Real mascara, particularly the wand, that I think (hope!) we'll be seeing more wands like this in the drugstore this year. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely looks like something I would want to pick up!

    And I'd like to say a big THANK YOU! for including a picture of the ingredients list! I'm allergic to LOTS of products, and it's always a downer to read a review of something great, only to look at the ingredients in the store and find I can't use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! It separates you lashes so beautifully! Although I am a volume-mascara-type-a-gal, I think on more natural-makeup days I would go for this mascara. Might have to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the brush! I am going to have to try this! It did make your lashes look pretty good! Not TONS of volume added, but a definite difference!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The brush reminds me of Benefit's They're Real. I might actually try this but I don't like wearing mascara unless it holds a curl

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister recently bought this and of course I told her I wasn't going to try it and then ran out and bought it. The first time I used it I wasn't all that impressed. It's not my fav $24 Bobbi Brown Extreme Party mascara so I was pretty quick to toss it in my makeup bag. I decided to use it again today and was VERY happy with my results. It does dry quickly but that's not impossible to work around. And since I got it on sale for $6 its now my new fav!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very picky about mascara and, of course, the one I loved is no longer being made. :( So I looked and looked at all the brushes because what made my former fav good for me was the type of brush. I did purchase a waterproof version. I love it! and it is extremely waterproof - you won't cry this one off, I guarantee! I will buy it again for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig