Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spotted: Maybelline Limited Edition ColorSensational The Jewels Collection

UPDATE: To see my review of the shade Amethyst Ablaze, from The Jewels collection, click here.

WOOOOWEEEEEE!! I had no idea this collection even existed until I popped into my local Rite Aid the other day, and let me tell you: if you like deep, rich, bold, jewel-toned lip colors, this collection is FOR YOU.

NOTE: Please be sure to read my commentary on these shades and don't rely on the pics of the "swatches" on the display, which are totally deceiving!


 Maybelline Limited Edition ColorSensational The Jewels Collection
(retail: around $7 each)

I'm seriously hesitant to show you the swatches on this display for fear that you'll think these are just run-of-the-mill jewel-toned lipsticks. I took a peek at each shade and I was absolutely FLOORED by the intensity and richness of each color here. The first thing that came to mind was that every single shade in this collection would look absolutely stunning on women of color. Being a MAC NC20, I was actually fearful of some of these shades, which look so intense and pigmented that I really don't think I could pull them off. But if you're an NC40 or higher, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you might find yourself wanting this entire collection. (That's not to say that my fellow fair-skinned gals couldn't rock these either--I'm just a wimp when it comes to bold lip color!).


Shades that have the words "moonstone" and "rose" in them usually equal mild, work-safe and timid, right? WRONG! These lovelies are rich, deep and look insanely pigmented in the tube.


By far, the two shades above are the ones that had my JAW ON THE GROUND. When I opened the cases to take a peek, I was standing there stunned. DO NOT look at the swatch for Rockin Fuchsia and think it's a standard hot pink. It's actually a true, intense, blue-based magenta that is so vibrant I had to check to be sure I was looking at a Maybelline lipstick and not one from say, Illamasqua. 

BUT THE SHOW-STOPPER OF THIS COLLECTION is Amethyst Ablaze. My GOODNESS. This shade is a deep, rich, intense PURPLE that immediately brought to mind All Of My Purple Life. I'm NOT saying this is a dupe (nothing could compare to AOMPL, people!). But it's got a similar richness, deepness and intensity to it. I have never seen a purple lipstick like it at the drugstore.


Rubylicious and Plum Jewel are probably the most "standard" shades of this collection but still, they're intense, deep, rich and amazing in person.


And finally, I wanted to show you what the cases look like because the graduated color is slightly different than other ColorSensational cases. Too cute!

I am seriously kicking myself for not purchasing one of these when I first saw the display. I'm HOPING that the color payoff is exactly what I think it will be: amazing. As soon as I can, I'll pick one up and swatch it for you. 

In the meantime, what do you think of The Jewels? Are these rich, intense shades calling to you? Have you already spotted or purchased any of these new colors? Thoughts?
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Drooling over these! I hope they come to my area SOON! thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen these at my local Rite-Aid (yet), but I'll likely purchase at least one shade. I really like Maybelline's lipsticks and have been enjoying the "collections" they've been releasing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear me, i am so in lust for the fuschia and the purple one now!!! they are on my hit list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which one do you think the model is wearing? I like that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its red garnet! i have it and absolutely love it. the dark red lipstick that you can definitely wear. :)

      Delete
  5. looks like some great stuff! maybelline had me at their pop stick collection, so i think i may have to pass on this one..pretty colors though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I purchased Rockin Fuchsia and Amethyst Ablaze they are both GORGEOUS. Amethyst Ablaze reminds me of MAC’s Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can not WAIT to see the purple one! A purple haired girl can never have too many purple lipsticks, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ruby one has definitely piqued my interest! I'm a sucker for rather conventional colors x]

    ReplyDelete
  9. MUST FIND THIS!!! Sounds like an amazing collection though I haven't bought Maybelline lippies in a while (I needed a little more of a moisturizing effect) but I can't resist beautiful lipsticks. I am officially now on the lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just purchased 2 lipsticks from this collection, as well as an eyeshadow quad and a lipstick from another limited edition collection. I got rose quartz and plum jewel lipsticks, and from the other collection, I got red haute lipstick and green with fashion eyestudio quad. The colors are all so pigmented and vibrant. I'm gonna try out the shadows tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Kizzy- model is wearing plum jewel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spotted this collection at my local RiteAid (northeast Ohio) not long after reading this post! Had to buy Amethyst Ablaze and Rockin Fuchsia. Can't wait to try them! By the way, is it just me, or do these lipsticks have a new, different scent from other Maybelline lipsticks?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lips dropped when I saw this today. I had left my coupons at home and yet I bought this.
    I bough Amethyst Ablaze and Rockin Fuschia (both beyond gorgeous for drugstore). As a WOC, yeah, I can buy this whole collection. I think Plum Jewel is Berry Beautiful from last year LE fall coll.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was kind of ticked off at this collection. They are beautiful, but the shade the model is wearing is nothing like the lipstick in the tube. It's the only one I wanted, and it turned out to be very sheer.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig