Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Organix Cherry Blossom Poppy Delicate Cleansing Milk & Coconut Milk Hibiscus Gentle Foaming Cleaner

One thing I think we can pretty much agree on is that Organix knows how to make products that smell utterly delicious. We all know about their haircare products, but now that their skincare and bodycare products are more easily accessible (they're BOGOFREE this week at Rite Aid, along with Organix haircare), I thought you might be interested in my thoughts about two of their facial cleansers. (You can click here to see my review of their Coconut Milk White Lotus Body Mist.)

Please note: I purchased these products last Thursday (I live in a Rite Aid test market so the BOGOFREE sale actually started last Thursday for me, instead of Sunday) and I've been using both of these products for almost a week now. I usually give skincare at LEAST two weeks of testing, but since I know the BOGOFREE sale ends this Saturday, I thought it was important to share my thoughts with you ASAP in case you want to purchase either of these products during the sale.

Let's start with the Cherry Blossom Poppy Delicate Cleansing Milk:

 Organix Cherry Blossom Poppy Delicate Cleansing Milk
(retail: $9.99, 6.8 oz)



Let me get this out of the way right up front: YES, this stuff smells amazing. If you love the scent of cherry blossom, I have no doubt in my mind that you'll enjoy the fragrance of this cleanser. To my nose, it smells pretty much exactly like the Organix Cherry Blossom Ginseng shampoo and conditioner, so if you like those, you'll like this.


Whenever I see the words "cleansing milk" I think of a thin, watery, milky texture.  Well I was surprised to see that this isn't actually too thin--it actually has a texture that reminds me of shampoo:


This is so difficult for me to describe, but the texture of this product is almost like a syrupy gel. It feels slick when you rub it onto your skin, but after it reacts to the water on your face, it does get a bit more "traction" and it doesn't slip right off your face or anything like that. Since it's a cleansing milk, don't expect any big lather with this one, although the more I rub it in, the more it feels like it's actually cleansing my face--it's not just slipping and sliding around without doing anything.

Rinsing this off was quite easy for me--easier than I thought it was going to be considering the slick texture. After I've rinsed this cleanser, my skin feels incredibly soft and smooth without feeling too dry or tight. Also, I'm DELIGHTED to report that this stuff removes all of my makeup--even my washable mascara. Score!

 Organix Coconut Milk Hibiscus Gentle Foaming Cleanser
(retail: $9.99, 5.1 oz)

If you love the scent of Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner (or the body mist), you're going to love the fragrance of this foaming cleanser as well. They all smell identical to me--like fresh coconut with a bit of a buttery note. Delish.


This product was actually the one I was the most excited to try (I didn't have high hopes for the cleansing milk when it comes to my oily skin, so I was very pleasantly surprised by that one). I am a total foaming cleanser addict and a foaming cleanser with that coconut fragrance? Get out of here! Of COURSE I had to buy this!


But unfortunately, this one left me unimpressed. First, look at the foam above (swatched on a piece of paper). Can you see all of the air bubbles? This is not a thick, rich foam à la Biore Marshmallow Whip Facial Cleanser. See the ring of moisture on the paper? That's due to the fact that there's a lot of water in this foam which, for me, translates to not a lot of foam on my face when I use this product. In fact, the minute I start to rub this product onto my skin, the foam completely dissipates and it feels like I'm just rubbing water on my face. I literally can't feel the foam at all once I start working this product onto my skin.

As for makeup removal, I had a heck of time with this one. It wouldn't remove my washable mascara. to be fair, the title of this product is GENTLE FOAMING CLEANSER, so I think if you were going to purchase this, it would be best used in the morning (provided that you removed your makeup the night before) when you need just a light cleansing. It might also work well for those with very dry skin, but for my oil-slick skin and long-wear makeup, this one just wasn't strong enough. Even using it in the morning left me feeling that it didn't cleanse my skin enough because I know I build up a lot of oil on my face while sleeping.

I'm not going to give you a "FINAL VERDICT" on either of these products because one week of testing just isn't fair. But again, I wanted to give you SOMETHING before the Rite Aid BOGOFREE sale ends on Saturday, so that's why I'm posting this review. 

So here's my not-so-final-verdict: if you have oily skin and you like your cleanser to remove all of your makeup, you might enjoy the Cherry Blossom Poppy Delicate Cleansing Milk. If you have dry skin and makeup removal is not a concern, you might enjoy the Coconut Milk Hibiscus Gentle Foaming Cleanser. But if fragrance is something you tend to avoid in your facial products, I probably wouldn't suggest either of these products, because I find the fragrance of both products to be on the stronger side.

I hope this helps those of you looking to take advantage of the BOGOFREE sale at Rite Aid this week.

If you've tried any Organix skincare or bodycare products, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I haven't tried any of their skincare products, but I recently started using two of their hair care products and so far, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review, but I've been done with Organix products ever since the Coconut milk shampoo & conditioner turned my hair from gold to straw. They should switch to just making perfumes, because I have no desire to use any of their products based on my experience, but they do smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G, did either of these sting your eyes? For the longest time I had bad skin and had to use cleansers for acne which do tend to sting the eyes if used too close. Now I'm happy that the cleansers I use are gentle on the eyes while cleaning off most of my makeup. (I have an eye makeup remover for waterproof mascara and budge proof liner.) I don't want to go back to stinging cleansers!

    I was also very disappointed in the shampoo and conditioner that I tried. Like Chickadee said, turned my hair to straw. But, I was warned, I had read enough reviews to know that some Organix shampoos will strip hair dry. So I went in just for the great fragrance. I got the Mocha Espresso shampoo and conditioner, doesn't it sound delish? It smells like Playdoh. I checked other reviews and everyone else says theirs smells like yummy coffee and cocoa beans, so I don't get it. How did I manage to get the dud Playdoh scented pair??? At least I only paid $2.50 each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very tempted by the Organix line of skincare, but I thought maybe the fragrance would ruin it. I can't wait to try this now :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig