Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: e.l.f. Lipstick in Voodoo

If you don't know by now, let me tell you that I have a thing for sheer red lipsticks. So when I heard that there was a sheer red in e.l.f.'s $1 line, it took me all of about 10 minutes to hop in my car, drive to my nearest Target and pick it up. As far as I'm concerned, sheer reds are the quickest way to brighten up my face and give it a pop of color without feeling overdone or too "nighttime". Opaque or shimmery reds are too over the top for me to pull off in the daytime, but sheers? Perfection, especially when I've got minimal makeup on the rest of my face (which is almost always the case during the week).

So how does e.l.f. Voodoo compare to the rest of the sheer red lippies in my stash? Let's see...

 e.l.f. Lipstick in Voodoo
(retail: $1, 0.12 oz)



As you can see, the case is nice! I like that there's the little window in the middle of the tube so that you can easily identify the shade when it's in your makeup bag. Also, the stick itself retracts ALMOST all the way down into the tube, which is good because it's frustrating when I nick my lipstick on the lid when I'm putting the lid back on. Don't you hate that?


In the swatch on my arm, this is what it looked like after two passes of the lipstick on my skin. The first pass was pretty sheer, but the second pass definitely made the color more visible. On my lips, I used two coats of Voodoo and as you can see, it's not super sheer, but yet it doesn't look like a creme. I LOVE it, and I love that you can truly build the color to your liking. One pass on the lips will give you a nice stain-like quality, but a few more coats and you've got some serious impact.

I also LOVE the fact that, unlike tons of other $1 lipsticks I've tried through the years, this shade is RED and not magenta. If I had a dime for every time I've purchased an inexpensive "red" lipstick over the years only to have it turn magenta on my lips...

Voodoo is a nice, versatile brick red in real life, but it's got a TINY bit more blue in it than what you see in the pics above. But honestly, it's not dramatically different than my pictures.

If find the consistency of this lipstick to be totally shocking considering it's just $1. It's got a nice, creamy/borderline slick feel to it, and I find it extremely moisturizing on my lips. It's a very comfortable lipstick to wear, and the staying power is decent (I can get about 2 hours of wear from it, but after that it wears down to a nice, very subtle stain). 

The fragrance is mild--to me it smells like fruit punch. The flavor is sort of fruit-punch-y as well and I don't find it strong over overbearing. 

FINAL VERDICT: If you love wearable, user-friendly sheer reds, I think you might love e.l.f. Lipstick in Voodoo. For a one-dollar lipstick, I think this one's a gem, and I think it's the ideal lipstick to carry in your purse or keep in your car for emergencies for when you need a quick pop of color. Heck, I might buy several to keep in all of my purses--for a $1 you can do that and not feel guilty. Heaven knows, we all have those "emergency" situations when we need to slap on a lipstick to quickly bring a little color to our faces, right? This is one of those no-effort shades that can do just that, and it feels surprisingly nice on the lips to boot!

Do you own any e.l.f. lipsticks from their $1 line? If so, what shades do you own, and how do you like them?
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I wonder if they've changed the formula because I bought this right when the new $1 lipsticks came out and actually broke this one trying to apply it (gently!) because it was so waxy and wouldn't glide smoothly. Maybe I'll reorder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline: Wow! Are you serious? First of all, I'm sorry to hear that, and second, I had NO problem with application on this one. The very first swipe was a tiny bit dry but once I "broke the seal" of it, it's been nothing but super creamy to the point of being slick (but not greasy). In other words, once I got it going and broke that top layer (which only required one swipe to do) it's been nothing but awesome for me. Totally effortless to apply. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny, I posted about these lipsticks earlier today, too! Overall I prefer Wet n Wild's $1 lipsticks (because I had some inconsistencies in these), but they are great for a buck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessi: OMG you did? Great minds think alike! ;) I'm sorry you experienced some inconsistencies with these--I have only tried Voodoo and it worked so well for me that I'm hoping to try more, but I guess I better hop on over to your review first! Thanks, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loveee the colors & the way they feel. I have Nostalgic & Flirtatious & the colors are amazing but both of mine broke right away =/ I was really gentle too. I apply them with a lip brush now lol I still love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For 1$ it's a great deal, I have just one lipstick from their 1$ line in the color Seductive, I love the color, and it's super creamy doesn't dry my lips at all. I find it even moisturizing in comparison of my lipstick from their mineral line. The only problem is that it broke after 4 days of application, too sad but I'm still using it anyway cause I love the color and the consistancy!!

    p.s : sorry for any mistakes in english ,I'm Frensh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the one in Classy. (Beautiful pink shade) and I wore it every day for a while, and then the summer heat started to melt it... :( I'm going to Target tomorrow to buy a new one, and I think I'm going to pick this one up too! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need this. I'm tired of "reds" that are too pink/fuchsia. But I've never seen these in Hawaii, only the eyeshadows in discount stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the packaging and the shade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have got to find these! I have been trying to break the gloss habit and get back to good old lipstick and not having alot of luck... Last I knew the local Target did not carry these but there is a random grocery store that does! Im going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi G,

    Long time reader ,frist time commenter, if you like sheer reds :) , you HAVE to try the NYC Ultra Moist Lip Wear Sheer Red 309 B , after layering it on top of a lip balm, its the loveliest red I have ever seen ! It looks like you just ate a bowl of Red cherries ,not OTT at all ,but the real Red :) I love sheer red's too ! I have voodoo and the other lipsticks from elf too, but I feel they emphasise the lines on my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought four of these recently. My gripe so far is that I have to press kind of hard to apply, which tilts the lipstick in the tube and smooshes it against the side. (I hope that makes sense.) For only a buck, though, I'm not complaining that much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That looks beautiful! I am always hesitant to buy ELF lip products because they look so different on the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the texture of these and how sheer they are. But I'm not a fan of a lot of their colors, I like pale colors and they have like one that fits that description and it looks mauve on my lips

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just picked up this shade after seeing your review, and let me tell you, it is HOT. It looks great with my skin tone and I love the sheer yet buildable quality of it. Mine was really soft and easy to apply too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just picked this up yesterday, and I am loving it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have seductive, voodoo, classy, socialable, captivating, and posh. My favorite has to be seductive, though voodoo and posh are close second favorites. They are so pigmented and pretty and perfect for just $1!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I NEED one!!! For only $1, with pretty colors, a smooth formula AND a nice case? Make that three! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig