Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, December 5, 2010

Review: Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara

[Update: I forgot to mention when I originally posted this review that there is a $2 Grow Luscious Video Values coupon available this month if you're a Rite Aid shopper! Click here to access it.]

When this mascara first debuted on drugstore shelves, I have to admit, I thought it was gimmicky and I didn't quite rush to give it a shot. But then when review after review started pouring in, and most of the wonderful bloggers who reviewed it said they loved it, I took notice.

So a few weeks ago, I was able to get this mascara practically for free (by combining a manufacturer's coupon with a store coupon and waiting for it to go on sale). I think I paid about $1.50 for when all was said and done (full retail price is around $9), so now I'd like to give you my full review!

Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara in Blackest Black
(retail: around $9)

From the Revlon website:
  • Lash enhancing formula complements the natural growth cycle of your lashes, improving their overall appearance and conditioning with each use
  • Get lashes that look instantly longer and lusher and will also grow stronger day after day
  • Oversized lash-extending brush
  • Ophthalmologist tested
When Revlon says this is an "oversized" brush, they REALLY mean it. I was actually very surprised by how HUGE this brush is. Take a look at it compared to what many would consider a "huge brush":


The fact that it's bigger than a LashBlast brush really says something, right? But after using it every day for almost two weeks now, I find that I've completely adjusted to it. At first it took some time to get used to, but now I find it very workable.

Before I get into specifics, let's take a look at some before-and-afters!
This first pic was taken after applying my concealer, powder foundation and eyebrow pencil. My lashes are bare:


Next, here are my lashes after one coat of Grow Luscious:


Now, here they are after two coats:


Two coats, from a different angle:


Folks, I am LOVING this mascara. Some of my readers have expressed to me that they don't generally care for Revlon mascaras. But honestly, I have found that many of their formulas work well on my sparse, thin lashes. And Grow Luscious is definitely no exception. I think that, for my specific needs, this mascara is the best that Revlon currently has to offer.

Grow Luscious gives my lashes fantastic definition, and unlike many, many mascaras that give great definition and separation, this one truly lengthens AND volumizes my lashes. I find that usually my mascaras hit one or two of those points, but rarely all four. Grow Luscious manages to separate, define, lengthen and volumize for me.

And if you're a lower-lash mascara-wearer, you might just fall in love with this tapered brush. I find it IDEAL for applying mascara on my lower lashes. But I want to make it perfectly clear that I use a technique that others might not. If you apply mascara to your lower lashes in the same way you do your upper lashes (by holding the brush in a horizontal position) this brush might be too bulky for you. BUT, if you apply your mascara to your lower lashes like I do (by holding the brush vertically and using a straight-back-and-forth windshield-wiper motion) then you might LOVE this brush. I find that the narrow, tapered end is IDEAL for applying mascara to my lower lashes and I love it to pieces for this. I mean, look at the last set of pics above--do you see how perfectly defined my lower lashes are? It's crazy, I tell you!

In terms of staying power and flaking, this mascara gets raves from me. Granted, it's been COLD here in San Diego this past month, so my normally oily skin hasn't been as oily. I can't speak for how this mascara will hold up in our hot summers, but so far I have not had any issues with smearing, running, or flaking. Also, when this mascara dries on the lashes, I find that my lashes don't feel dry, brittle or too stiff. They're still a bit pliable, but not so pliable that they lose their form.

Removal has also been a breeze, as this mascara removes easily with my regular facial cleanser. Granted, this is a washable mascara, and I don't believe they make it in a waterproof version (yet).

As for the "grow" part, I can't really speak to that since I've only been using it for a couple of weeks. But if I notice a crazy growth spurt or anything like that, I'll be sure to update you. But heck, I don't really care if this mascara actually helps my lashes grow--I just love the immediate results so much that I'd continue to wear it for those qualities alone.

I hope this review helps some of you who may be considering a purchase. I really can't find any faults with this one--except for maybe the size of the brush (if you're not a big brush gal).

Do you already own Grow Luscious? If so, what do you think of it? I'd love to hear from you either way!
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Glad you like it. I didn't like this at all. I loathe the brush. Admittedly it gives good volume but that's about it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vex! Awww man, I'm sorry this wasn't a love-match for you. :( I agree that the brush could be an issue for some, so I guess I'm lucky that I was able to adjust/make it work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this waiting in my cabinet ready to try (I just got it for a steal as well)...can't wait to try this now! I have thin, short, and sparse lashes too...so, I need all the help that I can get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and photos! But my only question is - does it hold a curl? I have fine and sparse lashes that are easily weighed down by non-WP mascara formulas, and I love the look of this mascara on your lashes but if it's going to make mine droop I'll pass on it. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I just picked up this mascara this week after seeing other bloggers give it good reviews. I wore it for the first time last night and was shocked to see how big the wand was! I just finished using up an Avon Super Magnify mascara with a tiny wand, so it took a little to adjust to the wand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, but right now there's a 30% off all Bourjois mascaras, so... maybe next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great product and looks so good on your lashes. I bought a Dior ( $$ ) mascara a long time ago. It had an ususually large brush and you had to get used to it. The next time I was at the Dior counter I mentioned it to the salesgirl.....she told me my eyes were just too small.....! Can you imagine.....?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this one too after reading good reviews! I like it as a day mascara (I choose Clinique High Lengths for a nighttime look). I have been using it for about 2 months now, and I can say that my lashes did grow. However, the growth is very minimal... barely noticeble. But I would still say that its a good buy.
    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pammy: It sounds like have the same lashes so I would love to know what you think when you try this!

    J: That is a very good question, and one that I really wish I could answer for you. I honestly haven't curled my lashes in months--I've just been plain lazy, and I feel that this mascara doesn't flatten my lashes at all, so the *need* to curl them really doesn't come up. Sorry I can't answer your question (yet)!

    The Peach: lol! Glad I'm not alone about being a little shocked by the size of this brush. :)

    Eli: Hum...not sure where this sale is going on for you (Ulta maybe?) but congrats!

    annmarie: Are you kidding me? That is just plain RUDE! I can't believe she actually thought she'd get more of your business after a stupid comment like that. :(

    tasha: Wow, thank you for the feedback about the growth of your lashes! Even if it's small, it's still something, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was absolutely awful. It made my eyes burn like no other, as if I had been cutting onions all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a waterproof version of this mascara! I've seen it at stores but was hesitant on picking it up.

    Great review! Whenever it's on sale I'll be sure to pick it up~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez, this looks so much better on you than it did on me! I didn't hate it like I do every other Revlon mascara, but I didn't love it either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Princessa: I'm sorry to hear that. I know that some people are more sensitive to fragrances than others, but I can't even smell this product unless I hold the wand right up to my nose. lol!

    JW: Oooh, there is? That's great to know, for my WP-mascara-loving readers out there! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. JenJen: Awww, I'm sorry this wasn't a love-match for you. Thanks for the kind words about how it looks on me--maybe it's because your lashes are so long and pretty to begin with? I mean, mine are little stumps so it REALLY made them look a lot better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice review! :) It just encourages me to try this mascara. I think I really will now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how you said it's cold in San Diego. Out of curiosity I looked up the forecast...mid to upper 60's all week! Brr that's so "cold" lol. I'm from New England so I hope you don't mind if I tease you. I mean, I wear shorts in that weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had heard nothing but bad things about Revlon mascaras too, and was talking to Jamie at Maquilagem Masstige and she's the one who convinced me to give 'em another shot. I had a Revlon Beyond Natural mascara in the back of my makeup case and it's really a great mascara. The only time I had anything close to a problem with it is one night I rubbed my eyes and when I went to take my makeup off I noticed I had a few flakes on my cheek. It had never flaked before, but this was after 8+ hours of wear too.

    I don't think I will like this mascara though, I'd probably like the formula, but that big brush is the deal breaker for me. I like skinnier wands and they work better for the technique I use to apply my mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pictures have mos def convinced me to try it out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everyone's been talking about this mascara lately, if it actually holds a curl for my straight Asian lashes, I am so jumping on the bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig