Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, February 7, 2010

Review: New Revlon Luxurious Color Satin and Perle Eyeshadow Singles

Let me tell you right up front that I have never really been a fan of Revlon eyeshadows. There are a lot of things I love from Revlon (like practically everything with the words "ColorStay" in the title) but the eyeshadows, for me, have always just been "meh". On my skin, they just don't seem to have the level of pigmentation that I can find in other drugstore lines, and I also think the powder eyeshadows tend to be a bit chalky.

That said, I want to commend Revlon for the new and improved textures and finishes they've released in this new Luxurious Color eyeshadow collection. They blow any other Revlon eyeshadow I've ever tried completely out of the water.

During a recent Rite Aid BOGO free on Revlon eye products, I purchased these two lovelies for a total of $4.99 ($4.99 is the Rite Aid retail price for one single):

Revlon Luxurious Color Satin Eyeshadow in Nude Slip (left)
Revlon Luxurious Color Perle Eyeshadow in Violet Starlet (right)



Now some of you may be asking why in the heck I bought a purple eyeshadow, since I've said repeatedly that purples don't work on my skintone. Well, aside from the fact that I try to never give up hope that someday I'll find the purple that works for me, I bought this one for another reason as well. I bought it in direct response to the fact that SO many of you mentioned purple eyeshadows when I asked my Wednesday Question a few weeks ago about what your weakness is when it comes to eyeshadow colors. Since I now know that you love your purples, I figured it would be helpful for some of you if I reviewed it. Plus, it was just pretty darn gorgeous in the pan. :)

But let's start with Nude Slip. My, my, my. I really didn't have any expectations about this one, but BOY am I impressed. [Update: HUGE thanks to my lovely reader LipstickChick for recommending this shade to me!] First of all, the texture is nothing like the old Revlon singles. The texture of Nude Slip is beyond dreamy. It's smooth, it's buttery, and it applies like a dream. It totally, TOTALLY reminds me of a Stila shimmery eyeshadow like Wheat. Absolutely amazing pigmentation that you don't need to build--it's just perfectly pigmented on the very first swipe. Plus, Nude Slip isn't so light that it needs to be reserved for the brow-bone area only. You can use this a wash all over your lid for a natural look and be ready and out the door in a few minutes flat. This is one versatile shadow and I can see it being a staple in many a makeup bag. It's just got so much potential in terms of how you can use it--I just can't say enough good things about it. Also, I want to confirm that there is no sparkle in these Satin Eyeshadows. They are true frosty shimmers, so if you're a shimmery eyeshadow girl, I think you will love them. The shimmer is deep and rich and wonderful.

Ugh. My poor little camera just cannot pick up shimmers or microglitters, so here's the best swatch I can give you. If Nude Slip looks blah to you, I promise it's so much more gorgeous in person.

Moving on to Violet Starlet, as you can see in the above swatch, this is NOT the purple of my dreams. Do you see how this swatch makes the entire right side of my hand turn a greenish-blueish color and look bruised? Imagine that look on my eye. Not good. Oh well...I tried!

But let's talk about the actual shadow for a bit. The Perle shadows are more matte in texture and they contain micro-glitter. In the case of Violet Starlet, the micro-glitter is multi-colored and I wish I could have captured it in a photo because it is truly gorgeous. I think purples look so pretty when they're combined with multi-colored micro-glitter, and this baby is certainly no exception. Also, I was pleased that I didn't receive a ton of fallout when I applied this to my lids. The micro-glitter seemed like it would be dense and fly all over the place, but when you apply it to your lid, the glitter actually spaces itself out and creates a very pretty look that's not over-the-top in a UD Midnight Cowboy sort of way. If you're normally a conservative eyeshadow person, I can see you using this as a "going out on the town" or "special occasion" type of eyeshadow because it doesn't make you feel like you're wearing too much makeup when you wear this (due to the matte, almost sheer texture of the base) but it does give a special sparkle to the eye.

All in all, both the Satin and Perle Luxurious Eyeshadows are a HUGE improvement over the old Revlon eyehsadow singles. Obviously my favorite so far is the Satin texture, but the Perle is definitely nice if you're looking for a sheer wash of color that has a bit of zing to it. The staying power of both shadows is excellent in my book, and I was able to wear Nude Slip without a primer for 10 hours straight with no fading or creasing. That baby is well worth the $4.99 price tag and I just cannot recommend it enough.

Do you own any of the new Revlon Eyeshadow singles? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Nude Slip looks really pretty! It would make a great inner lid shade.

    I almost think you need a more blue-based purple to check out. UD's Frigid might be better with your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look beautiful! Purple is definatly my weakness when it comes to shadow!

    I loved a few of the colors from the matte line a while back, so I think I will have to give these a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love golden... and Nude Slip looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've walked by the display several times and never gave those eye shadows a second glance but, wow, Nude Slip looks gorgeous! I'm definitely going to pick one up next time I'm out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I TOLD you so! Nude Slip is an amazing shade with a feel-good texture that makes for a perfect wash or lid color! I adore mine, and have caved to the other neutral shades in that finish (Satin). So glad you love it, too!

    I held back from trying the Perle finish shadows, as they looked exactly like you described -- matte with sparkle, and with some, they looked as though they had a chunky texture, which I couldn't tell how well they'd apply.

    Now if only Revlon would make some new quads with the Satin finish, I'd be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phyrra: Thanks so much for the tip! I will definitely try a more blue-based purple and see how that goes (fingers crossed!). :)

    Beauty Bargainista: If you liked the old Revlon singles, I think you will REALLY love these new ones. Keep me posted? :)

    Gaby: OMG, against your blue eyes, Nude Slip would love AMAZING! Get it! Get it! lol. :)

    Mimsy: Welcome to my world! I do that same thing *all* the time, and then I see a great review and I think, "Why did I not buy one of those earlier?" lol. I think you will LOVE Nude Slip--keep me posted? xo

    LipstickChick: OMG, THANK YOU for commenting on this post! I tried to find the post that you had originally commented on about these but I couldn't find it--I am SO glad I took your advice and tried Nude Slip!! You are absolutely 110% correct--this shadow truly rocks my world. Next time you recommend or rave about an eyeshadow, I'll get it without hesitation! You were right on the money, sister! Thanks SO much! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: LipstickChick, I just updated my post to include a thank-you to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that was so sweet of you LOL! *feels honored* :-D

    Seriously, I'm thrilled that you love it as much as I do, and trust me -- I've got a big mouth that shouts from the rooftops when something works or doesn't, so if I come across something fabulous, I'll holler your way! :-)

    Thanks for the shout-out, and enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LipstickChick: LOL!! You are too cute! And yes, PLEASE give me the heads-up if you find any new fab products out there--you know I will do the same! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started reading your blog and I love it! BTW, I picked up the Nude Slip and WOW! It is awesome. I think it will be my go to shadow. BTW, I picked it up for 2$ at Walgreens. I have tried the MATTE shadows in peach sorbet and it is a nice neutral allover shadow. I will definitely be picking up more. Thanks and again I just LOVE your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reccomending Nude Slip, just bought it and it is truly the most perfect shimmery amazing netral wash ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ammura: Thank you SO much for all the kind words about my blog! :) And I am SO happy that Nude Slip is working out for you so well! That's wonderful!!! And WOW at the price you got for that! I think I need to head over to Walgreens ASAP and see if I can get some other colors at that price! :)

    Anon: YAY YAY YAY!!! I am so glad you're loving Nude Slip too! It is just so easy to wear, isn't it? And the texture is like a dream! So glad you agree. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought nude slip and a darker chocolate brown color (the actual color name slips my mind) and when I went to pay the girl at the cosmetics counter said she had some 2.00 off coupons, so i actually SAVED money by buying them! She said she could only use 2 at a time or I would have gone back and bought more colors. I'm going back in tomorrow and see if she still has the coupons! Just an FYI, if you're going to Walgreens to get this eye shadow I would definitely pay at the cosmetics counter and ask about the coupon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I'm new here. I picked up some of these recently because of that great CVS sale and I love them. I already had all the Revlon matte eyeshadows, which I love, and these are a great addition. I put them on over the Covergirl cream eyeshadows that have primer in them. Such a great combo; I love the finish and my eyeshadow stays all day.

    So glad I found your site. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig