Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, September 19, 2013

Swatches and First Impressions: e.l.f. Limited Edition Disney Villains Maleficent Look Book

When I purchased the e.l.f. Disney Villains 12 Piece Nail Set (click here for my review) at Walgreens last week, I also purchased the Maleficent Look Book. Since I haven't been using this nearly long enough to give you a proper review, I thought I'd share my first impressions after using these products a few times.

NOTE: The Disney Villains 2013 Collections are a Walgreens-exclusive. In addition to the Look Books (click here to see all four) and Nail Set by e.l.f.,  there are also Disney Villains lashes by Ardellmakeup bags by SOHOnail art kits by Kiss and hair accessories by Scunci.

e.l.f. Limited Edition Disney Villains Look Book in Maleficent
(retail: $9.99 at Walgreens stores)















I believe that all of the products in this set are from the e.l.f. Essential line. This set contains both full-size products and minis. The full-size products are the eyeshadow palette, mascara, eyeshadow brush and liquid eyeliner. The minis are the eyelid primer, lip color and eyeliner pencil.

e.l.f. Lip Color in Maleficent (mini)


e.l.f. Eyelid Primer (mini)

e.l.f. Eyeliner Pencil in black (mini)

e.l.f. Lengthening & Defining Mascara (full-size)

e.l.f. Liquid Eyeliner in Black (full-size)

Swatches:

Liquid Eyeliner, Eyeliner Pencil, Lip Color, Eyelid Primer

e.l.f. Maleficent eyeshadow palette

Notice that there's a spot for an applicator (although mine did not come with an applicator):


Swatched over the Eyelid Primer that came with this book:


I used the eyeshadow brush that came with this book to swatch these shadows, and the only two problematic shades were the last two above (Thorns and Raven Black). Those shades had a harder consistency and went on a bit patchy. Even over the accompanying primer, you can see that the pigmentation isn't as good as the other four shades in this palette.

Top row: Flora, Fauna, Spell
Bottom row: Deep Sleep, Thorns, Raven Black

For this look, I used Spell from lash-line to crease and Deep Sleep blended from crease to brow-bone (applied over the Eyelid Primer that came with this book):


I used the brush that came with this book to apply both shades, as well as to apply Spell to my lower lash line. I've said before that the e.l.f. Eyeshadow Brush is my favorite affordable eyeshadow brush of all time and it worked beautifully with these shadows. I can't recommend enough using the accompanying primer with these shadows--it really makes the shadows go on smoothly and they're very vibrant. In fact, Spell was so pigmented on the first swipe I almost had to tone it down a bit!

I also want to mention that I used the accompanying e.l.f. Liquid Eyeliner on my upper lash line, the e.l.f. Eyeliner Pencil on my waterline and the e.l.f. Lengthening & Defining Mascara on my upper and lower lashes.


Here's what the Lip Color in Maleficent looks like on me:


e.l.f. Lip Color in Maleficent is a pretty, cherry-red creme that is a lot more pigmented than I thought it would be. It contains a bit of sparkle but it doesn't look over-the-top. It just adds a bit of dimension to the color, which I like quite a bit. This gloss is not tacky or sticky, and it has a very soft buttercream fragrance and flavor. 

Additional thoughts:  Overall, I'm pleased with this book. The stand-out item for me is the green eyeshadow (Spell). It's a very nice alternative to Inglot 414 and the pigmentation is incredible when used with the brush and primer that come with this book. Four of the six shadows in this palette are fantastic, although they are a tiny bit powdery (it's better to pack them on vs. brushing them on). The Liquid Eyeliner surprised me. I'm not big on brush applicators for my liquid liners (I prefer felt-tip), but this was easy to work with and quite pigmented. The eyeliner pencil is kind of "meh" for me--it's not intense enough for the waterline and it smudged a bit when I tried to wear it on my upper lash line. I love the Maleficent lip color (but I wish it weren't a mini) and I am enjoying the eyelid primer. It's been a while since I used the e.l.f. Essential Eyelid Primer and it works quite well with the shadows in this book (but again, I wish it were full-size). The mascara isn't for me because I definitely need volume (it's true to its name and only lengthens and defines) but I could see it working for those who just prefer some subtle definition. Aside from the eyeshadow, the best part of this book is that I get another e.l.f. Eyeshadow Brush. I'm so glad that e.l.f. decided to include this brush in these books! Overall, I think this one's worth $9.99 if you're drawn to the colors and/or you're a Sleeping Beauty collector.

The e.l.f. Disney Villains 2013 Collections are Walgreens-exclusives and they're only available in-store. If your local Walgreens does not yet have these collections, keep checking back. Last year, some locations didn't get them until well into October, so just because your store doesn't have them now does not necessarily mean they will never get them! Hopefully e.l.f. puts another Disney Villains store locator on their site like they did last year.

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. You KNOW I snagged up all four of them the minute I found them! I have only tried Ursula so far. Tomorrow, another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! How do you like Ursula?

      Delete
    2. I loved it! I love the primer and that brush a lot! And, I didn't notice the spot for the applicator. I throw them away anyway.

      Delete
  2. This set looks amazing! I love the colors on you. I can't wait to grab one or two...or... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'd love to know which ones you end up getting, and what you think of them. :)

      Delete
  3. I was only able to find Ursula as well( it's ok) ..saw the cosmetic bags, just got 2 of those, Ursula and Cruella. The scunci, not interested. But still hunting stores for all the others. Last year like you mentioned in my area they came well into October, so it might be like that again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G..if you still have it would you mind posting the UPC code for this Lookbook? I am a beauty advisor at Walgreens and I know my location will not be getting these collections unfortunately. I am getting customers asking about them and with the code I can let them know the closest location that does. Also if anybody reading this has bought the nail art kits, bags or lashes could you please post a UPC code for them? If its easier you can message it to me at aburke2814@gmail.com. Thanks in advance for any help you and the nouvettes can give me. Just looking to give my customers the best help I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Maleficent Bag tag's UPC is 0 49022 74024 2 including the two numbers way on the ends, wasn't sure if you needed those or not. Hope that helps! When I get my palettes I'll send you the UPC for them as well.

      Delete
  5. I, too, grabbed the Maleficent kit at Walgreens last weekend. And why this one? Because of the green shadow! It looks gorgeous on you, and I hope it will look as good on me (I have hazel eyes). I have to say, ELF really hit this one out of the ballpark with these four kits. Run, don't walk to your nearest Walgreens and grab them while they're available; the clerk said they typically sell out within days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited for these sets not just because Spell looks AMAZING but because the eyeshadows aren't attached to the book this time! I didn't want to destroy last years books to get the eyeshadows out but there was no way I could travel with the whole thing no matter how much I liked the colors. This year it seems we get the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there going to be a sightings map for the palettes? I'm seeing the eyelashes, bags and hairties all over the place but I haven't seen the palettes or the polishes at all and I'm worried!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ended up buying this one today as I was out in a little mountain town that had all of these and tons of new stuff that the city stores don't have yet!
    I bought this one because Maleficent is my favorite villain and I was also pleasantly surprised to find that these are "my" colors (and obviously yours too!) I think I'll be happy with the colors even if they are less pigmented.
    I also bought the Cruella de Vil makeup bag. I wanted them all but I talked myself out of it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited to play with the Set that was given to me for my birthday tonight by a good friend of mine. She knows me well by giving me make up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Locator: http://www.eyeslipsface.com/disney_villains_sl.asp

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig