Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 26, 2012

Review: Physicians Formula Organic Wear Lash Boosting Mascara

I love Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara (you can see my review here) and I would put it in my top five drugstore mascaras of all time. So when I saw that PF came out with a new version called Organic Wear Lash Boosting, I waited patiently for a good sale at CVS (which CVS is known to run quite frequently) and then picked it up. Now that I've been using this mascara off and one for a few months, I'm ready to give you my verdict!

Physicians Formula Organic Wear Lash Boosting Mascara in Ultra Black Organics
(retail: around $9.99, 0.26 oz)



Just like the Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara, this new version is free of just about every controversial ingredient you can think of.



This is a lash-boosting formula, meaning that, with continued use, you're supposed to be able to see "extended and fuller-looking lashes" after four weeks with "no side effects".



The tube is exactly like the Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara, except that instead of green, it's black:



Here is the brush compared to the CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion brush, for perspective:



Here are some before-and-after shots. The first pic in each set is of my bare lashes, and the second pic in each set is after two coats of Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Boosting Mascara (I have not curled my lashes in any of these photos):

BEFORE AND AFTER:

 BEFORE AND AFTER:

BEFORE AND AFTER:

BEFORE AND AFTER:

Consistency and ease of application: This is a drier mascara that doesn't glide onto the lashes as easily as other drier formulas I've owned. But even though it's drier, it doesn't clump. Those who want dramatic results after the first coat will not get it this with product, but it does build nicely on the second coat. It just take a little effort due to the drier formula. The wand is large, but not difficult to maneuver. I had no issues with applying this mascara to either my upper or lower lashes. Regarding the tube and wand, it might look awkward or clumsy, but it feels quite natural in the hand and I don't find it challenging to hold or use.

Performance and staying power: After two coats, this mascara gives nice length, separation and definition, but not much in the way of volume. It lasts all day on my lashes without any flaking or smearing.

Long-term effects: Since this is a lash-boosting mascara that promises to give "extended and fuller-looking lashes" after four weeks of use, I wanted to at least address this in my review. Unfortunately, I have not used this product exclusively for four weeks (sorry, but it doesn't provide enough volume for me personally and I haven't wanted to wear it exclusively for a month), so I cannot tell you how effective the lash-boosting properties are.

Ease of removal: This is a washable mascara and it removes easily with my regular facial cleanser--no eye makeup remover needed.

Fragrance: Since the first ingredient in this product is orange fruit water, this product does have a nice citrus scent to it. I found this to be surprising and quite pleasant because you don't just don't expect your mascara to smell like oranges. It's not 100% orange though--I'd say it smells like an earthy mascara mixed with orange. The scent is not terribly strong though, and I can really only detect it when I hold the wand up to my nose.

FINAL VERDICT: Just like the Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara, the newer Organic Wear Lash Boosting Mascara has a lot of things going for it. The ingredients are great and the absence of controversial ingredients are even better. But where this mascara differs from Jumbo Lash is that it doesn't provide much in terms of volume. If you are looking for a natural mascara that provides good length, separation and definition, this could be a great choice for you, but if you need volume from your mascara, you're better off with the Jumbo Lash formula. Both formulas are dry, but I find this new version to be a tad bit more dry than Jumbo Lash. Neither mascara clumps, flakes or smears for me and they both remove easily with my regular facial cleanser, so it really comes down to whether or not you require extra volume from your mascara. If that's not a concern, I say give this new version a shot if you tend to prefer drier mascaras. I wish I could comment on the lash-boosting effects but like I mentioned earlier, I haven't wanted to wear this product consistently for four weeks because, for me personally, it doesn't deliver enough volume.

Do you own Physicians Formula Organic Wear Lash Boosting Mascara? If so, do you agree with my assessment? If don't own it, do think it might be a good fit for you?
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I really like the NYC mascara post compared to the Physicians Formula . It made your lashes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also own PF Organic Wear Lash Boosting Mascara. I, too, was able to get it from CVS. I have not used it. I actually do not use mascara. I am not sure that I need it. I have naturally long, curled lashes. Anywho, look for the packages with the Try Me Free stickers. There is a PF rebate that is good until October for up to $9.95. Thanks for the review. I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard great things about the Jumbo lash mascara, but I really thought the lash boosting was gonna have the same results. I bought this during the $7 off physician formula during 4th of july at CVS and T used it once and I agree with your review 100%. For me, it doesn't give me volume and also my lashes don't stay curled! i wish I had known and invested in the Jumbo lash! So far I'm liking Cover Girl's LashPerfection (not blast). Have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently using this mascara and have noticed some lengthening already! I didn't notice the smell, but I will inevitably end up sniffing my mascara wand tomorrow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate this mascara. I wanted to love it, and when I first put it on I was happy with it, but it flaked and smudged like CRAZY on me. It was ridiculous. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I cannot comment on this particular PF mascara, I have tried the other organic mascara w/ the leaf wand and skinnier tube and I had the same dissapointing results...smudgey, smeary, runny mess. I also had black "half-moon" transfers on my upper eyelid after just one hour! A few years ago PF had a great creme based mascara called Lash-In-A-Tube, unfortunately it seems to have been discontinued. Right now though I'm loving the new Revlon Colorstay mascara...good stuff, no tranfers to the lids, and no flaking.

      Delete
    2. ps- Does it bother anyone else that the pic that PF used to show "the results" appears to be the same exact as the pic they use to demonstrate the "results" of the brush tipped liquid eyeliner pen w/ serum?
      O.O

      Delete
  6. This is very good to know. I got the organic wear mascara when it was on sale and although I like it on my lashes, it smudges like crazy.

    I think it's funny how they said 100% saw enhanced lashes instantly. Is that not what mascara is for? These boxes are just too funny at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone tried using the Jumbo Lash as a second coat over the Lash Boosting? Sounds like it may be a good option to get the treatment and the volume...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone tried using the Jumbo Lash as a second coat over the Lash Boosting? Sounds like it may be a good option to get the treatment and the volume...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear that this product smudges fore some of you! Boo! So strange, because many mascaras smudge on me, but surprisingly, this one doesn't. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds great; now I have to ask does it come in waterproof? its not so much the smudging, it's that is I have some stubborn lashes and so far, WP in general are still the only types that hold a curl for me ; non-wp ones only seem to pull my curl OUT, like stick straight, ugh. I haven't tried a PF mascara organic or not (or it was so long ago that I can't remember!) so maybe I should give this or the new Fake Out a whirl if I see a sale somewhere. or even better, now I have reason to put that Ulta coupon to use :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay I know this was forever ago, but THANK YOU for your very helpful reviews! I wanted to try PF mascara and needed to know the difference between the varieties - your reviews laid it out very clearly! I like long, defined, natural looking lashes, so clearly Lash Boosting is the one for me! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig