Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 31, 2011

Jordana at Walgreens Part 3: Color Effect Eyeshadow Duos

Continuing my coverage of the Jordana products now available at Walgreens, I'm excited to show you the Color Effect Eyeshadows Duos today.

In this post, I'll be covering the earthtones shades. In my next post I'll show you the brighter, primary-color-type shades. There are ten duos in all, so here are the first five:

Jordana Color Effect Eyeshadow Duos
(retail: $3.49 each, 0.94 oz)

These shadows come in a variety of different finishes including mattes, satins, shimmers and shimmers with sparkle.

If you see smudges on the surface of any of these shadows, it is due to my clumsiness when opening these up--sorry about that! I've got LOTS to say about these little duos, but I'll save that all for the end of the post. PLEASE NOTE: All of the following swatches were done on bare skin, and then over my NYX White Eyeshadow Base:












CLICK HERE for an eye look I created utilizing these shadows!




First of all, how awesome is it that there's an all-matte duo here? 

As you can see in my swatches, some of these shades benefit from a primer, while others are just as pigmented with or without a primer beforehand (see Smoky Browns duo). 

Texture: Until I received these duos for review, I had never tried these particular eyeshadows from Jordana. I had no idea how silky and finely-milled these shadows were! They are not crumbly or overly powdery  (even the matte shades are buttery smooth and very easy to work with). My only complaint here is that some of the shades are a tiny bit harder than others, but for the most part, Color Me Impressed!

Pigmentation: like I said above, some shades benefit from a primer while others are nicely pigmented even without primer. The least-pigmented of all was probably Splitting Image but as you can see, a primer really helped that one. 

Blendability: easy peasy! I had no problem blending these shades using my standard EcoTools eyeshadow brush. 

Staying Power: If you're using a primer beforehand, you shouldn't have problems with staying power. Without primer, I can get about 3-4 hours of wear before I start to see fading.

Packaging: for perspective, here's a Jordana Color Effects Eyeshadow Duo next to a MAC eyeshadow single:

 Jordana: 2.66 g
MAC: 1.5 g


Height-wise, they're almost identical.


I'm very impressed with the packaging of these duos. The clear plastic lid is thick and substantial, and the lower part of the compact looks very sleek.


Sorry I couldn't get a better photo of the ingredients--the clear label is placed on top of the faux-metal finish which gives it a mirror-like quality that's difficult to photograph.

FINAL VERDICT: For $3.49 each at both Walgreens and Kmart, I'm impressed by not only the look of Jordana Color Effect Eyeshadow Duos, but the texture, color selection and blendability. The staying power can be improved by using these over your favorite primer; when worn alone they do tend to fade after a few hours. These duos offer a nice variety of different finishes, including some all-matte duos. 

Please stay tuned for the second half of this review, featuring the brighter, bolder shades in the range. In the meantime, do you already own any Jordana Color Effect Eyeshadow Duos? If so, what shades do you own and how do you like them?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. These look really good. I've never tried anything from Jordana except lip and eye pencils. That may be about to change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with how far drugstore products have come. The pigmentation is pretty good, and for less than 4 bucks it's well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the duos in good match and smokey browns! I love the good match duo as a quick everyday look because it evens out the discoloration on my eyes. The darker shade in the duo is great for a transitional color and the lighter shade is a fantastic highlight and all over lid color. I use smokey browns for a smokey brown look. haha enough said. I'm thinking about purchasing splitting image to complete the set of neutrals. =) I wish they made more these. They're great! Lovely review and swatches as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the Smoky Browns one. :) But I don't like the Smoky Purple duo, which is weird, since I almost always like purples. For the most part though, they seem like a total steal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww why can't my Walgreens have this brand?! :(
    Some of those look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Initially, Jordana was owned by Milani - hence the quality! I wonder if they are still sister-companies.

    Darn, girl - I wanted these duos the moment I saw them in the store! Now you're making it difficult to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smoky brown looks like it may be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chantel: You're welcome! And thanks for all the great tips. :)

    ShortAndSweetNails: Really? I believe this is a nation-wide launch, so maybe your location just hasn't put up the new display yet? Also, if you have a Kmart near you, they have these too. :)

    Barbara: I actually mentioned this in the second half of my review (the post that contains the brighter shades). They are definitely still sister companies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to guess that you liked this grouping the best since they are more brown and neutral in tone? :)

    If I try them, I'm afraid that I'll have to own them ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few of the duos and the singles, too. I love them! As a matter of face, Good Match has become my everyday blending & highlight shadows. This is such a great matte duo! I just hit pan on the cream shade, so it's time for a backup!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig