Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, June 17, 2011

Last minute Father's Day gifts, Part Two (awesomely affordable fragrances)

It's really getting down to the wire now, lovelies! If you haven't picked up a gift for Dad yet, I'd like to give you three options that you can find right at your local drugstore!

I was recently sent some affordable men's fragrances for review, and I found the following three fragrances to be perfect for three different "types" of guys. So let's begin!

Note: this week, most drugstores are running great sales on men's fragrances, including the fragrances featured in this post (BOGO1/2OFF, etc.).

For the rugged or outdoorsy guy:

McGraw by Tim McGraw eau de toilette
(retail: around $28, 1.7 oz)

Top notes of bergamot and freshly grated nutmeg blend into a woody aromatic heart of moss and lavender. Base notes are sensual notes of amber, patchouli and sandalwood blended with a touch of aged whisky.


 I have to be perfectly honest with you. I wasn't expecting to fall absolutely in LOVE with this one when I first sniffed it. But there's something about it (perhaps it's the nutmeg--I adore nutmeg) that makes this scent rugged, yet very slightly sweet and comforting at the same time. I can't quite pinpoint it, but MAN it blew me away. I get just a tiny drop of whisky in this fragrance, but I also detect a slight leather note too. Whatever's going on here has me saying "More, please!" I think that if you like Obsession for Men, you might like McGraw as well. They're not identical, but I think they're in the same general ballpark.

For the classic suit-and-tie guy:

David Beckham Instinct eau de toilette
(retail: around $25, 1.0 oz)

Contemporary top notes of bergamot, grapefruit and mandarin leaf. A fragrant heart warmed with pimento, vibrant star anise, spiced with cardamom. A primal, sensual base of Haitian vetiver, patchouli and classic white amber.

I used to work with a very sophisticated, proper gentleman who wore a beautifully-tailored suit every day, and he smelled just like this. David Beckham Instinct is exactly how a sophisticated fragrance should be; it's not a "Hey, check me out!" kind of scent--it stays very close to the skin. It's the kind of delicious fragrance that makes you want to get closer to a man, so that you can smell more of it. The white amber gives this fragrance almost a powdery note, which I absolutely adore. It cuts the sharpness of the citrus and gives it such an elegant feel. Plus, the cool magnetic cap has me mesmerized.


For the open-minded, I'll-wear-anything-you-want-me-to-wear guy:

 Jovan Musk for Men
(retail: around $15, 1.0 oz)

Top notes: lime, pepper, carnation and lemon. Middle notes: Amber, lavender, spearmint and exotic spices. Base notes: woods and musk.

Hear me out on this one, OK? There's a reason why Jovan Musk for Men has been in production since 1973. Sure, the packaging isn't quite modern, but I think that's what gives it its appeal! If the man in your life will basically wear whatever fragrance you want him to wear, I'm begging you to have him try this (beware: you yourself might want to wear it too, and that's totally OK!).  This is the kind of fragrance that may scare you off at first. Out of the bottle, it comes across as sharp, strong and in-your-face. But give it about 30 minutes and ooooh la la! The dry-down of Jovan Musk for Men is worth the way! To my nose, it's pure heaven. Soft musk and wood--like a comfy sweater on a clean-shaven man. To me, the longer this fragrance sits on the skin, the more delicious it becomes. A long-time favorite of mine.

I hope this post helps those of you who are stumped on what to give the dad in your life on Father's Day. You can't go wrong with a nice bottle of fragrance!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Good to know! WHenever my bf ad I see McGraw we always say "McGraw!" is a stereotypical southern accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jovan Musk for Men is one of my favorite men's fragrances. Yes, it is "ooooh la la"!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig