Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 16, 2010

Review: Bath & Body Works Dark Kiss Body Lotion

Sometimes I'll ban myself from going to Bath & Body Works (not because I don't like it, but because I tend to spend a lot whenever I go there). But if I stay away for too long, I find myself making crazy rationalizations and justifications just so I can go in and start poking around at all the new releases. So here we go:  my mom was running low on her beloved Shea Cashmere hand cream, so, well, I HAD to go get her some. Right? Come on, back me up here.

It seems that I've stayed away for far too long because, the moment I walked into my local BBW store, I was bombarded by all sorts of new hand soap, candle and body fragrances that I had never sniffed before.  It almost became overwhelming until I saw this little lovely next to the registers:

Bath & Body Works Dark Kiss Body Lotion (retail: $3.50, 2 oz)

As most of you probably already know, whenever BBW is about to release a new fragrance in their Signature Collection, they will make mini bottles of lotion available in advance of the "official" release date. And even though the retail price of these lotions is $3.50, they're always on sale for $1 at the register (which is what I paid for this lotion). You can also purchase mini bottles of lotion and body mist, as well as a candle, online now before the official launch date of August 30th.

It's almost gotten to the point where I'm over the whole vampire thing.  Even though I love True Blood and other vampire stories, I'm getting to the point that whenever I see a new vampire-themed collection or "dark" name for a new product, I try not to roll my eyes and say, "Another??"

But honestly, the name Dark Kiss is quite fitting for this fragrance. So if you are in vampire-overload these days, please don't let that stop you from trying out this fragrance.  I am absolutely LOVING it. Here are the notes from the BBW site:

(click to enlarge)

It's no wonder I'm in love with this fragrance. Black raspberry, mirabelle plum and dark vanilla bean just so happen to be three of my favorite notes of all time. How could I not adore this?

In my opinion, this fragrance is dark and mysterious yet sweet, creamy and feminine at the very same time. If you like sweet, fruity scents, but crave something a little more rich and sophisticated for fall, this might be the perfect fragrance for you.  Also, if you're a fan of BBW's Black Amethyst or the discontinued Chocolate Amber, this seems like it's sort of in the same ballpark, only with a fruity twist.

Oh, and I also sniffed Forever Sunshine for the first time, but I wasn't really drawn to it like I automatically assumed I would be, based on the notes. Maybe I was just in fragrance-overload by that point, but to me, it sort of seemed like a generic citrus and didn't really stand out to me. If you like Forever Sunshine and you think I should give it another shot, let me know!

So, what do you think of Dark Kiss? Do you think it sounds right up your alley, or will you be saying "no thanks"? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Oh my gosh, I totally agree with you on going crazy in B&BW. I'll find any excuse to go in there.. "Oh look I'm out of handsoap and it just so happens to be on sale at Bath & Body.." and next thing I know, I'm coming home with not only 7 handsoaps, but a bunch of other things too. I fell in love with Forever Sunshine after I tried the body cream! You should definitely give it another shot.. it smells wonderful.. it's my perfect summer scent! I'm dying to try Dark Kiss, but I think it will be hard for me to contain myself if I go down to the mall JUST for the trial size. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate Amber!!!??? This is my ultimate, forever, and ever, favorite! Pure heaven!!!!

    I fell for Forever Sunshine and hard. I usually will buy the little trials to test out. When I got this one home, it was instant love. I was at BBW the very first morning it was available in the full line.

    I know I'm going to get Dark Kiss as well. Yes, that store IS dangerous. But I smell good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one am not over the vampire craze :-) LOL
    I am a huge fan of vanilla and I have been wanting to get to the mall to smell these ever since I got the email about dark kiss!
    I trust your judgment, so I must get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to try this on a whim at BBW and for only $2 for the preview promo, I ended up getting 2 of them :) It smells mysterious at first but dries down to a nice berry. Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not gonna lie, I work at BBW and I LOVE Forever Sunshine. I'm not crazy about Dark Kiss though, something about it is just too musky, maybe? I'd say give Forever Sunshine another shot, but since you're drawn to fragrances like Dark Kiss and Black Amethyst which tend to be heavier, sultrier scents, you might not like Forever Sunshine (apricot, pink peony, praline).

    And you're definitely not alone on banning yourself from that store, I get customers all the time who go crazy when they haven't visited in a while. Some women just cave though and we see them every week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and one more thing - did you smell the new fall candles? Autumn's my favorite, you can really smell the crisp apple and the 4oz. are only $5 right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark Kiss sounds good to me. Lots of notes that I like :) I need to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats it! i gotta go haul some BBW! i saw a youtube video the other day where someone said BBW had halloween themed mini hand sanitizers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sammie: Haha! So glad I'm not alone. :) And thanks--I will definitely give Forever Sunshine another shot!

    Kimberly: Yay for another Chocolate Amber fan! It's so pretty, isn't it? And yeah, this store is VERY dangerous--to my wallet! :)

    adorepink: You are too sweet! But now the pressure's on. If you don't like it, I'm going to feel like a jerk. Haha! Keep me posted? xo

    amanda: I agree--it's got such a lovely dry-down! Glad you love it too. :)

    shmemi: Oh no, not at all! I am a HUGE citrus fan. In fact, I only recently got into darker, richer fragrances over the past few years. I've loved tons and tons of BBW citrus scents over the 20+ years I've been shopping there (yikes!). But for some reason, this one didn't do anything for me. It smelled kind of plain and generic. But again, that might be due to the fact that it was the last of a zillion scents that I sniffed that day. So I will *definitely* give it another shot. Thanks for the rec! :D Oh, and is Autumn similar Leaves from last year? I hope so, because that totally smelled like apple pie minus the crust to me:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-bath-body-works-perfect-autumn.html

    Phyrra: I think you might absolutely ADORE this one, honey. :)

    Samysalsa: Haha! Yes, I sniffed those Halloween sanitizers and they are SO fun. I loved the Candy Corn one the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looove this one! I went in to get the $1 lotion and they gave me a coupon for when it launches (the ones where you get a free signature item with a $10 purchase), so I can't wait until August 30th to use it! I haven't been this excited about a body care scent in a long time.
    I've heard a lot of people comparing this to Black Amethyst, but I really dislike that one and don't see the similarity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get in there and get a bottle of this lotion! I had heard about Dark Kiss on the MakeupAlley fragrance board and it sounded like something I'd like. Now this seals it, if my scent twin likes it then surely it must be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i do that with BBW too. i stay away until i am out of hand soap, and then i check online to see if the hand soap is on sale, and when it is, THEN and only then do i go.

    though, to be fair, when it's on sale it's close in price to the less-yummy, less moisturizing soaps at the supermarket, and i usually only get hand soap.

    (i'm still working on a flagon of Amber cologne from them. ditto for my pillow spray, but that is going to last FOREVER! i've had it almost a year and i can barely see my usage!)

    anyways, all that to say, once we move into our new house (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we sign tomorrow!) i am going to head over there to stock up on soaps to make our house a home. and i am definitely going to check out Dark Kiss when i do. and if i buy it.....i'll tear off the label? maybe.

    i was into Twilight for about 5 seconds after my friend loaned me the first book a few years ago, and then I lost interest. with all the CRAZY PSYCHO INCESSANT vamp marketing, i'm really ready for a new trend! argh!

    *if this comment is a little OTT, that's because i haven't had my tea yet. sorry!*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fell in love with Dark Kiss from first sniff - it is simply amazing. And I feel it's a scent that lasts a long time, where other BBW scents often fade on me. It will be a must have in my closet this fall and winter!

    Forever Sunshine is also a new fave of mine - I find it smells better as it settles - it fades to a nicer gentler smell than the first notes you get would imply. Honestly it's better to try it out then just go by what you smell in the bottle on this one - it really smells much better on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you ever been to a BBW outlet? It is amazing. Everything is on a rediculous sale. There is one at the San Ysidro outlet and I can't go without spending a ton of cash. It is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steph: Glad you like it too! I think it's in the same "family" as Black Amethyst but not a smell-alike, if that makes sense? :)

    Melissa: Hopefully our scent-twins status will stay intact and you'll like this too! Can't wait to hear what you think. :)

    beautifulmonday: Congrats on the new home! Whoo hoo! And yeah, I'm a sucker for those hand soap deals, I tell ya. So when you get First Kiss (and tear off the label--lol) I would love to know what you think of it!

    Beth: I am right there with you about First Kiss! And thanks for the info about Forever Sunshine. I think I definitely need to give it another shot, and this time when I spray on the tester, I'll be sure I haven't sniffed anything else before it (or after it)! :)

    Natalie: Yep! I even did a post about it! The SY outlet ROCKS! Do you go to the VS outlet there too? http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-bath-body-works-and-victorias-secret.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Update...I went in and got the preview lotion today! I love the scent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorepink: SERIOUSLY? Yay!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds pretty good from the way you describe it. I'll have to stop in to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got the lotion and love it! I am just waiting for the shower gel to come out!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig