Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 3, 2009

Review: Auric Blends Perfume Oils (High-end fragrances at drugstore prices. Really.)

Don't you just love it when you discover something amazing that happens to be inexpensive? It's like a little secret that you want to keep all to yourself. Well that's exactly what happened to me when I was in college up in Northern California back in 1993, the year that Auric Blends debuted their fragrances to the world.

I can remember so clearly the day I walked into a local organic food market and saw a display of perfume oils with a distinctive Native American dreamcatcher logo. This was my introduction to Auric Blends, which quickly became my best kept fragrance secret. But now it's time for me to share my secret with you. Auric Blends Perfume Oils are this recessionista's secret weapon and I'd love for them to be your secret weapon too.



For around $7 a bottle, Auric Blends has been hand-blending in small batches some of the most delightful fragrances I've ever had the pleasure to sniff. Many of their scents smell like something you'd find at LuckyScent.com which, as you know, is a high-end fragrance lover's paradise. When I sniff my Auric Blends fragrances, I often wonder, "How in the heck can they sell these for $7? This smells like something you'd pay several hundred dollars to own."

I have been wanting to write a review of Auric Blends fragrances since I started this blog, so I am delighted to tell you that I recently reached out to this company to let them know of my love for their products and they graciously sent me some fragrances to test. So now I am honored to pass along my reviews of some of their newest, as well as their classic, scents for your reading pleasure. So let's get started!

Egyptian Goddess. Arguably their most popular fragrance, the ladies on the MakeupAlley.com fragrance board have much love for this fragrance and I completely understand why. If you've tried other Egyptian-type musks in the past, let me assure you that this is the best of the genre. It's a white musk that is blended so expertly, I defy you to try and pick out the other notes. They all blend together so beautifully that what you're left with is a soft, clean scent that brings to mind warm, fluffy sweaters and clean skin. That's about the best description I can give you. For you non-perfume-wearers out there, I say give this fragrance a shot because it goes against any preconceived notion of what perfume smells like. Also, it's great to use to layer with other scents.

Love. One of Auric Blends newest scents and an instant classic. I wore this the other day and a lady stopped me in a parking lot to tell me that I smelled "amazing". Love is Egyptian Goddess blended with some extra musk and woods notes. Now you might think that would equate to a stronger, more heavy fragrance but you'd be wrong. Love is light, ultra-clean, super soft and it encompasses you like a snuggly blanket. To my nose, this smells a lot like Narcisso Rodriguez for Her, which will set you back $160 a bottle. Why pay that insanely expensive price when you can get something just as wonderful for, um, SEVEN DOLLARS!

Honey Almond. Do you use the iconic Jergens Original Cherry Almond Lotion just because you love the smell? And have you ever thought to yourself, "I wish they made this scent in perfume form."? Well, my lovelies, wish no more because Auric Blends Honey Almond smells exactly like the classic Jergens lotion to me! Seriously, it's got that real almond note blended with a bit of cherry and a bit of honey. It's such a soft and comforting scent and it instantly brings me back to Jergens and being a kid again. Love it.

Vanilla Musk. OK. I'm going to speak to the hardcore fragrance junkies out there for a minute so bear with me. Fragrance junkies: If you love/own Etro Heliotrope (which retails for $90 a bottle) you must give Vanilla Musk a try. I personally am a huge fan of that candy-like, powdery vanilla quality of heliotrope, and this scent's got tons of it. I am in heaven here. Sheer bliss. So if you like your vanillas candy-sweet and powdery like me, you simply can't go wrong with this one. And again, you can get this for seven dollars! I feel like I'm stealing it for that price, I tell you.

Divine Opium. Are you a lover of the spicy-sweet scent of fresh carnations? Is the carnation note in YSL Opium the thing you love the most about that fragrance? Well instead of shelling out 100 bucks for something like Comme des Garcons Carnation why not try Auric Blends Divine Opium which, to my nose, smells like a bouquet of fresh carnations mixed with a sweet warmth that isn't too heavy on the patchouli but warm and sensual enough to keep things interesting.

Water Goddess. My new favorite scent. I cannot stop sniffing this one. According to the Auric Blends website this fragrance is composed of: A magnolia floral bouquet with touches of rose and violet, supported by a background of exotic woods and mosses. To my nose, I get the most lovely, invigorating combination of water, lemon, and fresh mint. Now I know those notes are not listed, but to me this fragrance smells as if you took some sparkling ice water and mixed it with fresh lemon wedges and tons of fresh mint leaves. It's a cooling, refreshing and uplifiting scent that I just cannot get enough of at the moment. If you're a clean, citrus, aquatic or minty scent lover, you've got to give this one a shot.

You can purchase Auric Blends in several retail, specialty and health food stores across the nation, as well as online. Also, I want to mention that you can purchase sample kits on the Auric Blends website, which have FREE SHIPPING. This is an excellent way to try a few fragrances before committing to a full-size bottle and, believe me, a little of each fragrance goes a long way so you'll be able to test your fragrances several times with each sample vial.

Do you own any Auric Blends fragrances? Do you plan to purchase any? I'd love to know your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I always see these at the store but never tried it. After reading your review I think I need to get the water goddess. lol :P

    :::sMyLzE:::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon! The next time you see these on display, I hope they have a tester of Water Goddess for you to sniff. It is one of the most wonderful summertime fragrances I can think of to wear when it's hot and ugly outside. :) I'd love it if you'd let me know what you think when you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! wonderful review!! And certainly worth checking out. I've never even heard of them!! But I do go to the health food store regularly, so maybe they will be there. For $7 a bottle it's worth checking out. I think I would go w/the Vanilla based on your description or maybe water goddess??? Thanks for sharing!!! -Ko

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ko! Thanks so much! :) I would love to know your thoughts on Vanilla Musk and Water Goddess if you try them. Those are definitely two of my all-time faves. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Ko, I love your tweets on twitter--they always crack me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What to do? I want at least 2 of those! Good going girl, I'll be in the poorhouse in no time at this rate!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, Amber, I'd love to know which ones you're leaning toward! :) And sorry about putting you in the poorhouse but consider it payback for every single time I go on your blog. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw... are these US only again? I love way you described Water Goddess, it seems like a fresh spring/summer scent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fay! NO, they are not US only! My giveaway is open to both Canada and the US! :) You should enter to win all six of my favorite fragrances:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-giveaway-six-auric-blends-perfume.html

    And thank you for the kind words about my description of Water Goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Egyptian Goddess.. it's been my go to oil for sooooo long.. I can't break the chains of love I have for it! They even have soap and candles with this scent.. The candles are AWESOME!

    After reading your write up, I have to try Water Goddess.

    I love all of Auric Blends too, so affordable, and long lasting!! I keep meaning to try the Auric Blends Naturals.. they sound pretty divine too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sisters Kane! I'm so glad you're a fan of Egyptian Goddess! I adore this fragrance. And yes, I love how they have extended the line into soap and candles as well. :)

    Please stay tuned because I'm actually going to be reviewing the Naturals Line very soon! :)

    Thanks for the wonderful comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since you love Auric and Demeter so much, I'm surprised that you apparently haven't yet discovered Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab scents. They carry hundreds and hundreds of distinctive and high quality perfume oils. I consider them a steal at $15 per 5ml bottle, as they're more concentrated than Auric (and frankly I think higher quality). www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristin! Actually, I am a huge fan of BPAL and have been for years! I actually *just* wrote a review of Snake Oil for wehearthis:

    http://weheartthis.com/2009/10/22/understanding-black-phoenix-alchemy-lab/#comment-5166

    (my review is the third comment down)

    I haven't reviewed BPAL on *this* blog yet because, quite frankly, my review schedule is quite full through the rest of the year. However, I do plan to do a review at some point next year. Thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know an online shop of perfume retailer, go there and choose your favorite brand at a huge discount at fragranceville.com. Beginning of this summer, I purchased a bottle of perfume from there. I like it very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How can I order it if I dont live in the USA?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig