Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 3, 2015

Review: Mwah Lip Care (Full Collection)

I received the full collection of Mwah lip products a while back for review, and today I'd like to share my thoughts with you about this colorful line of lip care.


You may have seen these products at your local drug or mass retailers (you can click here for a store locator) but what you may not know is that, according to the Mwah website, their products are made in a 100% solar-powered factory in Southern California, and a portion of all profits go to the World Wildlife Fund. Also, Mwah is owned by Clio Designs, which makes other beauty products as well. 

So let's start with their Sliders:
Mwah Lip Balm Sliders
(retail: $3.99 each, 0.30 oz.)

Depending on the retailer, you may find these in hanging packages or individually sealed as pictured above. There are three flavors in the Sliders line: Mango Tango, Coconut Chick, and Sweet Tart.


Made in USA


As you can see, the slider itself can be fully removed from the case:



Mango Tango, Sweet Tart, Coconut Chick

Mango Tango, Sweet Tart, Coconut Chick

The fragrance and flavor of the Sliders is very, very faint. I really cannot detect a scent at all (although I do pick up on a "plastic" note, which may be due to the packaging) and there's essentially no flavor here to my taste buds.

The formula itself is smooth, yet thin. These lip balms deliver some moisture, but they're not something I would reach for if my lips were parched. After testing these for a few weeks, I feel like the slider packaging may cause the formula to dry out a bit, or at least come in contact with more air than the stick balms. I'm not sure if that's why these aren't mega-hydrating to me, but I just thought I'd mention it.

What I do like about these sliders is that they're big enough to be able to apply directly to my lips without having to touch them (you know I'm a germaphobe!). I can easily "kiss" the balm directly and transfer product to my lips that way, which is fun.


And for size perspective, here's a slider next to their stick lip balms, which are standard size lip balms. You can see that the sliders are wide, but not too long.

Next up, the sticks:

Mwah Lip Balm Sticks
($4.99 per three-pack, 0.15 oz. per stick)

The sticks only come in a three-pack, and the flavors in the three-pack are Creamsicle, Strawberry Sweetheart, and Mango Madness.

Made in USA

Creamsicle, Strawberry Sweetheart, Mango Madness

Creamsicle, Strawberry Sweetheart, Mango Madness

Now these, I really like. I find the formula to be much more hydrating than the sliders on my lips, and the texture is smooth and buttery. They feel slick on the lips, but not greasy. They're creamy and emollient, with nice staying power as well.

As for the flavor, again, very, very light. I barely detect any flavor to these. But the fragrance is there, and I love the scents. Creamsicle smells just like the ice cream treat, Strawberry Sweetheart reminds me of those old-school scented Strawberry Shortcake dolls (both fun and nostalgic for me) and Mango Madness smells like real mango (not a sugary, fake, candy interpretation of mango). The fragrances are soft, but you can definitely smell them during application.

And finally, we have the glosses:

Mwah Lip Glosses - Meijer Exclusive
(retail: $2.99 each, 0.5 oz.)

These glosses are exclusive to Meijer stores, but you may be able to find them on sites like Amazon or eBay (I really hope Mwah expands these to more retailers eventually). They come in three flavors: Sugar Lips, Peachy Keen, and Berrylicious.


Made in USA


Slant-tip applicator


Peachy Keen is clear and colorless, so I didn't swatch it for you, but you can see that Berrylicious and Sugar Lips definitely have some pigmentation (and sparkle/shimmer) to them. Berrylicious is a cool-toned pink with both shimmer and sparkle, while Sugar Lips is an iridescent light pink shimmer with a rose-gold flash. 

All three of these glosses have a sweet, candy-like flavor to them (again, there's really no flavor to the lip balms, so if you like flavored lip products, these glosses are for you). The formula is quite nice--these are not sticky glosses, and they feel smooth and hydrating on the lips. In fact, I really love how these feel on my lips--they're not thin and fleeting like some inexpensive glosses from the drugstore, but they're also not heavy and suffocating. They coat the lips in just the right way and I especially love that they're not sticky.

Peachy Keen has a candy-like peach scent to it, and the flavor is peachy and slightly sweet-tasting. This gloss is clear and colorless on my lips, but provides some very nice shine.

Berrylicious has sort of a mixed-berry scent to it, with raspberry being most prominent to my nose. The flavor is sweet and tastes like a mix between raspberry jam and strawberry jam. This is definitely the most pigmented of all the Mwah products and, on my medium-pigmented lips, it doesn't take much to get some good opacity. This is a medium-tone, cool-leaning pink with lots of sparkle and shimmer (and shine).

Sugar Lips smells like strawberry cupcake frosting to my nose. So naturally, I love it. The flavor actually reminds me of Strawberry Hi-Chews, if you're familiar with those. Very candy-like. This gloss can be built up for opacity, but I actually prefer to wear it sheered-out, because very light, opaque pink looks horrid on me. But when it's sheer, it delivers a very pretty luster to the lips (I love that rose-gold flash). 



Final Verdict: Overall, I think Mwah has something to offer for all lip balm lovers. If you prefer your balms low on fragrance and flavor, I think the sticks are a great choice. If you prefer flavor and fragrance (and color), go with the glosses. I'm not in love with the sliders, unfortunately, because they do smell a bit like plastic to me, and I don't think the formula in the sliders is as hydrating as the formula in the tubes (or the glosses). You may of course feel differently, but the sticks and glosses are my personal preference. My absolute favorites are the Strawberry Sweetheart Stick, and the Sugar Lips Gloss. I've been wearing both of those non-stop since I received them.

Again, for a store locator, you can click HERE and if you can't find these locally, try sites like Amazon or eBay.

Do you already own any Mwah lip products? If so, which ones do you own, and what do you think of them?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I just had a flash back to a slider in a metal case when I was a teen. Does that sound familiar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Village Lip Lickers!

      http://sprinklepuffball.blogspot.com/2012/04/village-lip-lickers.html

      Delete
    2. YES!! I loved those. Did you ever have any?

      Delete
  2. Out of all of these, I think I'd want the peach lip gloss. It sucks that they're Meijer exclusive...
    I saw the sliders at Walmart, but I'm glad I passed them up because they sound kind of lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope they are sold at other retailers eventually, because these glosses are awesome. :)

      Delete
  3. I have all the lip balms and the coconut slider & strawberry stick are my favorites! My coconut slider is really well scented though! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig