Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, June 3, 2013

Better photos coming your way ASAP

I'm constantly trying to make things around here better for you, my amazing readers, and so I just wanted to let you know about the latest thing I've done to improve the quality of my photos.  I'm ridiculously excited about this one:


 I bought the SystemPRO Tabletop Studio at a local camera shop here in San Diego (thanks for the tip about that, Dad!), and it's basically a little portable lightbox that includes the box, two lights and a tripod for your camera. It set me back $99.00 and let me tell you, it was worth every penny (I just noticed it's also on Amazon right now for the same price in case you were thinking of getting it). Compared to other bloggers' setups, this is super bare-bones, but I'm ridiculously excited about how it has improved the quality of my photos.

Keep reading to see my setup in action, and a photo taken inside my new lightbox...

 My new "photography studio" perched on top of a dresser in my spare bedroom

Here's a photo taken from inside my new lightbox, of the new Salon Perfect polishes I will be reviewing this week:


If you compare this with a polish bottle photo I did for a past review, I think you'll notice a big difference:

HUGE difference, right?  

And for those of you curious about what camera I'm currently using, I WAS using a fancy DSLR Nikon that my dad gave me, but since I'm a complete idiot when it comes to photography and camera settings, I switched back to Mr. G's point and shoot, which is the Sony CyberShot. If I remember correctly, he got at Target a few years ago (I think it was around $100 back then). 

So the moral of this story is, you can definitely use a low-cost point and shoot camera and still produce good photos--it's all about the lighting!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you all enjoy the new (better) photos!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I'm not sure your photos could get any better G! They're always gorgeous :) happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, you are TOO kind! Thank you so much for that. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Photo looks great! I saw those polishes at walmart so I'm really interested in your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! :D And hopefully my review will be up tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Ooo! I just might have to get me one of these light boxes

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesomeee ! didnt know your blog could get better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good! I had a cheap (like $30 lol) version of that from LTD Commodities but my son broke the metal frame on top so it doesn't work so well now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really had no complaints on your pictures, before. But this is exciting to see your blog grow! I've been a reader since your first year. I remember you apologizing for your pictures taken with your cell phone. I wish you continued success!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in desperate need of something like this! My photos don't end up looking as fab as I would like simply because my lighting is a complete FAIL! I don't know why I haven't invested in a "lightbox" but this one is reasonably priced considering how fabulous the pics look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a huge difference, G!! Your pictures will look much more polished and professional. I didn't think I could enjoy your blog anymore than I already do, but this is an upgrade for sure. #Go Girl -Terese Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great, I so need this...my photos are terrible especially now since it's winter! Thanks for sharing this fab find :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sony CyberShot cameras rock! They are especially good in low light situations - concerts, and pretty much anything inside or at night where you don't have a lot of light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the posts backwards sometimes and I did notice that the quality of your photos was better. (Not that they sucked before!!) I'm super jealous of that camera stand!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay congrats! You are gonna have to do even more reviews lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay congrats! You are gonna have to do even more reviews lol!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig