Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Review and Comparison: Sally Hansen Limited Edition Complete Salon Manicure Nail Color in Hot Lava


It's funny (well, to me anyway) that just last week on Twitter I was saying that I couldn't get The B-52's song "Lava" out of my head. It was stuck in my head for about four days straight (not a bad thing--it's a great song!).

So I finally get that song out of my head, and a few days later I spot the Sally Hansen Spring 2013 Limited Edition Designer Collection at Rite Aid. Guess what polish ended up coming home with me?

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Limited Edition Nail Color in Hot Lava
(retail: $7.59 at Rite Aid, 0.5 oz)

Keep reading for my review and a monster comparison...

Two coats, no top coat:



In low lighting, indoors, this color can look more orange-based:


But for the most part, it's an intense orangey-coral with lots and lots of gold flecks. The gold flecks are on the chunky side but they don't feel rough on the nail. This polish is almost a one-coater and applies very smoothly. There's no streakiness and I was very pleasantly surprised by its opacity even after just one coat. Dry time between coats was good, and dry time after the second coat was good as well. I have absolutely no complaints about this one!

Now for a monster comparison with every other similar shade I own:

 Left to right: China Glaze Riveting (from the Capitol Colours Collection), Wet n Wild Waves of Enchantment (limited edition from Summer 2011), Sally Hansen Hot Lava (limited edition from Spring 2013), Milani Flash Light (limited edition from Summer 2010), Wet n Wild 9.0.2.1.Orange, Zoya Myrta


 Three coats of each shade, no top coat:
 

So let's break this down. China Glaze Riveting is a deep orange with gold flecks. Wet n Wild Waves of Enchantment is a pink-based coral with gold flecks. Milani Flash Light is similar to Sally Hansen Hot Lava, but the flecks aren't as chunky, and Flash Light is redder, with a magenta duochrome effect. Wet n Wild 9.0.2.1.Orange is very peachy-based when compared to all of these other polishes. Zoya Myrta is similar to Sally Hansen Hot Lava but the flecks in that polish are much, much finer and the overall color isn't as intense.


 Here's a comparison of the two polishes that I find to be the closest to Sally Hansen Hot Lava:


As you can see, there's no clear dupe here. Both are close, but not exact. 



So, do you "need" Sally Hansen Hot Lava? I'd say that if you already own Zoya Myrta, probably not. Although the chunkier gold flecks in Hot Lava are truly stunning so, if you have a thing for polishes like this, then yes, you kind of DO need it!

I hope this comparison helps those of you who were wondering if Hot Lava was worth the hunt. Remember that this polish is Limited Edition and you can only find it in this display so, if you want it, don't hesitate when you see it--grab it while you can!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Ack! Riveting is my go-to orange with gold flecks polish, but I am super tempted by this because of the awesome formula you mentioned! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's such a gorgeous color. But forking over $8 for a polish is tough for me! Maybe I can find the China Glaze shade in a supply store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot Lava looks really good! I like it more than Myrta.

    I have Waves of Enchantment, but it's very diff from Hot Lava.

    Thank you for the comparisons too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of an older Milani, Glitzy Jam. Online swatches look nothing like the bottle I have. Probably not as chunky with the gold, but in the same range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One coat of WnW 9021Orange over a pink or coral base gives a finish fairly similar to Hot Lava. I tried it after I saw Hot Lava in a store and *needed* it, but couldn't afford to pay $8 for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wondering if this is the same as their Lustre Shine shade in Lava??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comparisons, G! I'm glad I passed this up when I spotted it, since I don't like their extra wide brushes (or the price).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Christmas balls! That's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder how this compares to WNW Megalast in Love Brew...anyone have an idea? I picked it up with a mini-haul at Dollar General!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a great summer toe color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This colour is pretty much the same as the cape that the original She-Ra doll wore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so excited to see your thoughts on this polish! it is truly stunning

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tina, I haven't compared them side by side, but I think the Lustre Shine Lava is a bit duochrome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comparison! It only goes to show how obsessed I am with orange since I bought Hot Lava the second I saw it (BOGO 50% off w/ a $2 coupon tho!) and I already own Myrta and Riveting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please list where (city, state) and what stores you are finding this :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot Lava is gorgeous..as someone else said this is such A toe color with some hot wedges! But I am liking the Milani Flash light as well. Thanks for posting the comparisons G..love your blog! I have always spent money on others in the past..thanks to your blog I have finally been thinking about myself for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do have Myrta. But, like any other polish addict, I want Hot Lava too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you so much! i really love waves of enchantment by wet n wild and i was looking for a dupe but obviously this is not it! its still pretty and i might get it if i ever find it in my walgreens!

    ReplyDelete
  19. FINALLY found Hot Lava at a CVS, they only had one left. It's good to shop at a CVS that services mostly retired people!! The one I went to is surrounded by 3 or 4 nursing homes. They're not buying many lava colored polishes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig