Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: Styli-Style Glitter Punch Gel Lip Stains

The products featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap directly from the brand. For my full disclosure, please see the bottom of this blog post.

I'm a longtime lip stain lover, but in all of my years of wearing lip stains, I can't seem to recall ever seeing a lip stain with glitter. Yep, glitter. In a lip stain! If you're a lip stain lover, you must keep reading to see these for yourself.

Styli-Style Glitter Punch Gel Lip Stains in Cabaret and Peep Show
(retail: $6.49 each, 0.077 oz)

Available in six shades, these lip stain pens have a twist-up brush applicator, which is another thing I have never seen from a lip stain.

Keep reading for my full review...



The ingredients list is not printed on these pens, so I couldn't include it here--sorry!

Left: Cabaret
Right: Peep Show

Cabaret is a blood red with gold and iridescent glitter.
Peep Show is a bright pink-berry with silver and iridescent glitter.

Here are some "before" swatches:


And here are the same swatches after I did a "rub test":

For my rub test, I allowed the swatches to dry on the back of my hand for about ten minutes, and then I took my finger and went back and forth across the swatches with a medium amount of pressure for about five seconds. As yo can see, there was basically no transfer, and the glitter didn't migrate either.

Here's what they look like on my lips: 

Cabaret

Peep Show

And here's what my lips look like after four hours of wearing Peep Show:

Now, for some odd reason, the glitter in this lip stain would not photograph unless I did a "duck face" and kept the lighting low. So that's why I'm showing you this ugly pose. I think you can see that the glitter is abundant, and that it really stays put, even after the stain itself starts to fade. 

Texture and consistency: Instead of what you're used to with lip stains (sheer, almost water-like texture), these have a bit of gel-like feel to them during application. They feel thicker than a usual lip stain, but when they set, you can see that they quickly take on the visual characteristics of a typical lip stain. So it's like they start out as a watery gel, but then set to a thinner, traditional lip stain. Also, I don't find these any more or less drying than the other lip stains that I use on a regular basis (NYC, Palladio, etc.).

Pigmentation and finish: The pigmentation is outstanding, as are most lip stains I've encountered. You get a deep, bold wash of color on the lips from both of the shades I received for review, and of course you also get glitter. Lots of glitter. And unlike glosses that contain glitter, this glitter does not migrate. Instead, it's as if the lip stain locks the glitter into place when the color sets. Before the color sets, I can feel a tiny bit of grittiness due to the glitter, but I've noticed that after about ten minutes, I feel no grittiness at all. 

Application and staying power: Application for these can be tricky at first. Since it's sort of a "beefed-up" lip stain and it's got a thicker consistency than a regular liquid lip stain, you can easily dispense too much product through the twist-up brush. It took me a few tries to get it right, but it's definitely doable. You just need to go slowly and really make sure you pay attention to how you're outlining your lips. This is not a product you can slap on and go (or apply without a mirror) but, given the staying power, I feel it's worth the extra attention. The staying power of these lip stains is fabulous. I can easily get five to six hours of wear from either shade (and that includes the glitter). In fact, I was wearing Peep Show the other day and then wanted to try on a nude lipstick, so I had to use a little bit of jojoba oil on cotton pad to take off the last traces of Peep Show after seven hours of wear. One thing I did notice was that, generally speaking  Peep Show seems to apply a bit more smoother and is more gel-like than Cabaret. Also, Cabaret seemed to cling to the dry patches on my lips a bit, while Peep Show did not. So if you try Cabaret, make sure that you exfoliate well beforehand.

Flavor and fragrance: These are exactly like most drugstore lip stains on the market in terms of flavor and fragrance. They have that signature "bitter berry" flavor, and the fragrance is berry-based as well. If you don't like bitter flavors, just try to avoid licking your lips until this product sets. After it sets, you cannot taste the bitterness at all. Also, the fragrance is fleeting--you really only smell it during application.

FINAL VERDICT: If you are looking for a blinged-out, long-wear lip stain, these may be just the thing for you. The addition of glitter could have been a disaster here, but it actually is a winning combo because the lip stain itself locks the glitter into place and keeps it from migrating. The staying power of both of the shades I received for review is quite impressive, and I find both colors are easily wearable. Since these have a watery, gel-like texture and a twist-up applicator, you'll need to take special care during application, but I think it should only take you a few tries before you get the hang of it. I feel that these are ideal for a special night on the town when you want lots of sparkle and staying power, without having to worry about reapplying every hour (hello sparkly lip glosses, I'm talkin' to you!). 

You can purchase Styli-Style products on their website here (free shipping on orders $25+). For a store locator to purchase locally, click here.

Do you own any Styli-Style lip products? What do you think of the idea of a lip stain that contains glitter?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Holy crap these are so cool!
    Glitter lip stain. Cabernet is right up my alley!

    Thanks so much for this post, I never would have known about these,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy I do love me some glitter!! That is why I am more of a gloss girl so if I happen on these I will definately buy one! I have not really seen thus brand much in Central NY if anyone does please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God I want them! Glitter lip stain? AMAZING! :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of glitter, but these don't look too bad. Cabaret looks EXACTLY like the type of red I love. Berry fragrance doesn't sound too bad, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glitter Punch is such a great name, too. So memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review, G. Never heard of this brand, but it's available at Sears in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think this product is for me, but I just wanted to comment and say that I like the way you presented your disclosure at the beginning of the post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like it adds a lot more work for you (and it doesn't negatively impact the post's appearance). I am not a blogger, but as a "regular" consumer I appreciate the more obvious disclosure. I expect magazines, corporations and celebrity spokespeople to deceive me (LOL), but the blogging format is more personal. It's therefore more offensive - to me - if a blogger's reviews are influenced by free product or other gifts. That said, I always feel that the reviews on Nouveau Cheap are honest and carefully considered, regardless of how you obtained the product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this reminds me of the stila coconut crush lipstain and i love that one. this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was gonna say these remind me of Stila stains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely something I'd like to have. The Cabernet looks like blood, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will you be doing any more reviews of the new Styli Style products, G? I have several of the old Plastique glosses and love 'em and wonder what the new version is like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this in Cabaret and I love it. As long as I don't glob up the applicator it's not too finnicky, but once the first application has set I can put on another coat if I want my lips deep red and super glitzy. I may have to get another colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to say that this reminds me of the stila ones...I wonder if it could be a dupe...I love those!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig