Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, February 9, 2013

Review: Jason Ester-C Super-C Cleanser

Over the past few months, I've received requests to post more reviews of products that can be found at natural foods stores, or in the natural beauty aisle of the drugstore. Well I really lucked out because typically these products tend to be a little bit more expensive, but I hit the jackpot at a local Rite Aid a few months ago. Apparently they were remodeling and had to clearance out a bunch of natural beauty products (which were NOT being discontinued), and I was able to score some really great 75% off deals on products from Jason, Kiss My Face, etc. 

So for my first review from this haul, I'd like to share my thoughts about this facial cleanser from Jason, which I snagged for around two bucks (score!):

 Jason Ester-C Super-C Cleanser
(retail: around $10, 6.0 oz)

You can find Jason products in the natural beauty aisle of Rite Aid and CVS (I think Target may carry some of their products as well?). I'm sure there are other retailers that carry Jason skincare, but you can also purchase Jason, and specifically this cleanser, at drugstore.com (currently on sale for $8.36), iherb ($7.52), Vitacost ($6.49), etc.

If you go to any of the websites I linked to above, you'll find generally favorable reviews of this cleanser. On MakeupAlley it has a 4.2 star rating with 53 reviews.

Keep reading for my full review...



Jason is owned by Hain Celestial, which is a giant in the world of "natural" products. In addition to owning Celestial Seasonings, Rice Dream, Soy Dream, Terra Chips and a whole host of other natural foods brands, they also own Queen Helene, Alba Botanica, Avalon Organics, Batherapy, Zia and other natural beauty brands. Click here for more info.


The cleanser comes with a standard flip-top dispenser:


The product itself is a translucent orange and it has a thinner, watery consistency.

After using this cleanser off and on for a few months, I find that I'm generally pleased with it. I've gotten used to the thin, slightly watery consistency, because I've learned that pouring it into my wet hands and creating a lather BEFORE applying to my face makes this cleanser adhere to the skin a bit better. It's not a high-lather cleanser (although it might lather better if you're using a Clarisonic) but I find that it lathers just enough for my liking.

This cleanser removes all of my makeup (I don't use waterproof mascara though) and my face feels EXTREMELY softer after rinsing. In fact, that's probably my favorite thing about using this product--my face really feels like a million bucks after I dry my skin. I also find that this product rinses easily--no problems with lingering, leftover product.

The scent is something you're either going to love or hate. I personally love it because I'm a big gourmand and, specifically, citrus lover. To me, it smells like orange popsicles (not the ones that are half popsicle half vanilla ice cream--I'm talking straight orange popsicles). I do think that if you're sensitive to fragrance, the scent of this product might be a bit strong for you (although I personally don't find it knock-your-socks-off strong).

I haven't experienced any drying effects while using this cleanser (and I have been using it during the wintertime). My oily skin does not feel dry or tight after rinsing, and I haven't noticed any abnormal breakouts while using this cleanser.

BUT, I do want to mention that I had one issue with this cleanser. Whenever I use any type of moisturizer or treatment that contains retinol, I find that I absolutely cannot use this cleanser. For some reason, this cleanser causes my skin to sting and turn a bit red and irritated if I've used a product that contains retinol earlier that day (such as my favorite Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair). So if you use any type of skincare that contains retinol, I would keep that in mind. I obviously can't say for certain that you'll experience any irritation yourself, but I certainly did.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for a facial cleanser that's cruelty-free, vegan and free of mineral oil, petroleum, etc., this could be a nice option for you. It's not a high-lather cleanser, but I find that it does remove my makeup quite easily, and my skin feels incredibly soft after I use it. Those who are fragrance-sensitive may find the scent of this product a bit too much, and if you use skincare that contains retinol, please do keep in mind that my skin became a bit irritated when I used my retinol products with this cleanser. I'm afraid that this is one of those "your mileage may vary" types of products, but I certainly think that many people may enjoy it (online reviews seem to indicate this as well).

Do you own any products by Jason? What are some of your favorites? Have you tried this cleanser?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. thanks for this review! i'm a buyer for a small natural foods store and am always looking to expand our health and beauty section. definitely checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could help! (And what a fun job!!)

      Delete
    2. The Jason unscented shampoo is pretty good too. Although a little gentle for my tastes it cleans well for sulfate free, is a good value, and the packaging good quality.

      Delete
  2. Maybe the irritation is from the vitamin C? I remember a dermatologist telling me that I'm not supposed to use retinoids at the same time as a vitamin C product. There are other things you're not supposed to use alongside vitamin C too but I can't recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you're right!! Thank you for the info! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you reviewed this and am looking forward to more natural product reviews in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you! I'm so glad you like them. :)

      Delete
  4. I wonder if this is the same Vitamin C 'Spa' cleanser that Trader Joe's sells for about $5 or $6!? The bottle looks the same.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig