Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: Rimmel VolumeFlash ScandalEyes Mascara in Black

Continuing my review of the Rimmel London items I received recently, today I'd like to share my thoughts with you about this mascara:

Rimmel VolumeFlash ScandalEyes Mascara in 001 Black
(retail: around $6.50, 0.41 oz)

VolumeFlash ScandalEyes Mascara first hit drugstore shelves here in the US last December. I'm sure some  of you have tried it by now but, in case you haven't, let's take a closer look!

Keep reading for my full review...



From Rimmel:
Mascara doesn't know when to stop. With Rimmel's oversized brush and innovative formula, be prepared to say hello to lashes you never knew you had. Shaped, plumped, and exaggerated to perfection. Don¿t settle for anything less.
 

The MaxDensity brush, that's 50% larger and thicker, covers your lashes with attention - from corner to corner. Bristles now flex in to deposit mascara and out to comb through clumps, so volume will scream. With scandalous eye opening volume, this mascara should need a license.
 

Watch false lashes become a thing of the past, as Scandal Eyes Mascara becomes the ultimate beauty weapon in your make-up bag. This Rimmel revolution has 3x the collagen for plumper, sculpted lashes, 3x the keratin for strong and healthy lashes and...3x the attitude to guarantee scandalous behaviour!
For lashes so luscious it's almost criminal! Unleash the wand of Rimmel London's new Scandal Eyes Mascara. Start rumours, make heads turn and if anyone asks...you did it!






As with all "jumbo" wands, I like to show you a comparison next to CoverGirl Lashblast, so that you can get some perspective as to the size:


As you can see, the bristles are not the plastic variety; they're traditional nylon bristles.

 

Now for some before-and-afters!

BEFORE: no mascara

AFTER: two coats of Rimmel VolumeFlash ScandalEyes Mascara 

(I did not curl my lashes in any of these photos)

 

As you can see, I have nonexistent lashes. Seriously, I really can't see my lashes at all without mascara and, because of this, I tend to favor volumizing mascaras and even prefer that my mascaras give me a little "clumpage" just to thicken them up a bit.

What I loved: Two coats of this mascara gave me awesome length, decent volume and amazing definition and separation. I would say that this mascara really excels in the seperation, definition and lengthening departments and I have never had an issue with this mascara clumping or flaking. I found the brush extremely easy to work with due to its tapered end (it's a cinch to coat your inner and outer lashes) and after two coats, I didn't feel the need to go back for a third, which was much appreciated. There's no strong or irritating fragrance to this mascara--it smells pretty standard as far as macaras go. And since this is not a waterproof formula, it removed easily with my regular facial cleanser and/or makeup towelettes. No eye makeup remover was required for removal. 

What I didn't love: For a volumizing mascara, I'm afraid this didn't quite give me all of the volume that I crave. Like I mentioned earlier, I actually prefer a bit of "clumpage" to my mascara to bulk up my puny lashes, and this is definitely a clump-free mascara. I realize that aspect of this mascara would normally go in the "What I love" category, but I'm weird about mascara. What can I say? Anyway, the only other thing I didn't love about this mascara was that it dried rather quickly for me. Once I'm done with applying one coat to my upper and lower lashes and I'm ready to start on my second coat, I find that my lashes are pretty much dry, so it's a little bit of a challenge to apply that second coat. Again, I realize this may be a positive thing for some of you but for me it falls into the negative category because I like my mascara to still be a tiny  bit wet when I'm applying my second coat.

One last thing I'd like to add: For those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, you probably can recall that I've never had luck with Rimmel mascaras when it comes to staying power. In all other aspects, Rimmel mascaras tend to work well for me, but there is an ingredient in Rimmel mascara formulas that just doesn't work with my particular chemistry and therefore most Rimmel mascaras tend to fade from my lashes in under six hours. After about eight hours, the oils in my skin basically "eat" this mascara up and it can almost look like I'm not wearing mascara at all. So how did VolumeFlash ScandalEyes work for me in terms of staying power? A little bit better than other Rimmel mascaras I've owned, but I did see fading and a bit of smearing under my lower lash line at the six hour mark. I wanted to put that out there because I always tell you exactly how a product works for me, but I also want to be clear that this is a problem that seems to be pretty unique to me in particular, because I know many, many people who don't have this issue with Rimmel mascaras at all, and they can get a full day's wear without any fading or smearing.

FINAL VERDICT:  If you are already a fan of Rimmel mascaras and you're looking for a mascara that can provide excellent length, separation and definition without clumping or flaking, I think you might want to give this one a shot. If you're like me and need mega-volume and even a bit of clumping from your mascara, this one might not fit the bill because the brush and the formula really do allow for clump-free application. The brush on this mascara is very easy to work with in spite of its "jumbo" size, but do keep in mind that the formula dries rather quickly, which could be great if you're a one-coat type of person, but not so great if you prefer your mascara to stay a bit wet during your second coat. All in all, I would consider a purchase if it weren't for my pesky chemistry issues and the fact that the oils in my skin eat up certain mascaras (this one included) before the day is over. I can see this being a great weekday mascara for many of you because of its easy application and easy removal.

Are you a fan of Rimmel mascaras? Do you already own VolumeFlash ScandalEyes? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I'm obsessed with this mascara , need a backup ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review! I've been curious about this one - I don't like clumping, so it sounds great to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Emi! I'd love to know what you think if you do. :)

      Delete
  3. I like this one but I didn't feel like I had great application ability for the inner & outer corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny? This was awesome for me in terms of getting it on my inner and outer lashes. I bet it has to do with eye shape. Mascara's such a funny thing--what can totally work for you can be a disaster for me, and vice versa!

      Delete
  4. I think this looks nice on you! I have way too much mascara right now, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Aly! And I know what you mean. lol! :)

      Delete
  5. It's funny to see that people like this because I actually hate this mascara! The brush is just too big for me, and it makes my decent/average lashes look downright pathetic compared to NYC Showtime or Maybelline Falsies purple thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say this all the time, but mascara is probably the most subjective beauty product of all. So much depends on the thickness, length, texture and curl (or lack of curl) of your natural lashes, and then factoring in eye shape, application technique and body chemistry, it never surprises me AT ALL when something that works for a lot of people also DOESN'T work for a lot of people.

      I'm wondering if this didn't work for you specifically because you already have "decent/average" lashes? In other words, maybe it's meant more for lashes like mine (nonexistent). Because to tell you the truth, NYC Showtime and Maybelline Falsies aren't great on my lashes--Falsies is a bit better for me than NYC Showtime, but really the only NYC mascara that I truly love is Big Bold (which I reviewed a little while back). So maybe we're actually the opposite of mascara twinsies! lol! What works for you is a fail for me, and vice versa?

      Delete
  6. This mascara did not bode well with me e either. the brush felt ginormous, even though I have medium eyes, I got it everywhere. And unlike you, t clumped on me pretty bad. I'm gonna stick to what works best for me, at Wally there was an NYC, one dollar, blue tube mascara (no idea of the name) its okay for length, but pair that with NYC bold (which I got from your review!) Its a miracle combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so crazy! This didn't clump for me even when I tried to make it clump! Lol! And the brush actually felt small to me, if you can believe that, after using Big Bold from NYC, which has too be the biggest brush I've ever used! :)

      Anyway, i'm sooo glad you found a combo that works for you. Yay!! :)

      Delete
  7. I didn't like this mascara, unfortunately. I had trouble getting my corner lashes, and the formula easily clumped on me. I actually have been loving (weirdly) Wet 'n' Wild's mega length mascara (aside from the fact that it takes awhile to dry). My favorite mascara, though, is Maybelline's Full and Soft, but some of the tubes I've purchased recently seem to be weirdly dry and not as great anymore.

    P.S. G, I picked up the Palladio eyeliner that you love so much. Unfortunately, it seems like the oils my eyes produce don't mesh well with this liner (and I didn't even put this on my waterline). It's not the worst staying power, but I look a bit raccoon-y right now. I was hoping to find a new HG with this one, but alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, sorry to hear that! Sounds like we might be polar opposites in terms of which mascaras work for us! I have given Full and Soft chance after chance over the years and I just can never get it to work for me. I know that so many people love it, but for me it does absolutely nothing...almost like i'm wearing nothing at all. :(

      As for the Palladio, I actually ONLY wear it on my waterline! It can smudge for me when I use it on the lash line, but on my waterline it stays put all day. Maybe try it just on your waterline? :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, maybe I need to start trying the products you dislike!

      I tried it just on my waterline today, and it is starting to fade and migrate to my lash line. Darn. But at least I now know we're opposites and will take that into consideration. :o)

      Delete
  8. Just wondering, what do you do with the makeup that you review and don't like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends. For lipsticks, and things like that that can be sterilized, I might give them to family or close friends. For things like mascara, I sometimes keep them in a special ”archive” bin to have on hand for reference. If a brand releases a new product and it reminds me of something that was released a while back, it's really helpful to have the original product on hand to be able to actually compare them.

      Delete
  9. I really disliked this mascara, although I did like the packaging! I returned this back the CVS the next day. I also have no luck with Rimmel mascara and have tried and returned 3 different ones. One that I kept was Big Wow or something like that, and that was only because with all of my coupons I paid $1.99 for it. Glad to read this review because I also have oil skin. I wonder if there is something in their ingredient list that doesn't work well with oily girls?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this mascara but am scared to try it because of how big the brush is. I think I'm too clumsy for big brush mascaras and will probably poke my eye out one of these days. I am going to try it when I'm done with the sample mascara I'm currently using.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rimmel mascaras never work for me either. I think I have the same problem, as in the so called 'case of the mystery dissappearing mascara' and thought it was just me! I went back to my oldie but goodie Colossal and L'Oreal Voluminous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just discovered something about my Rimmel mascara (Glam'eyes). I bought it but didn't like it (too wet, didn't give me any volume) but one day I happened to layer it over another mascara (Almay i-color or whatever it's called, a purple one) because I wanted it to be black, and I realized that combination is great. The Almay gives volume and some length, and the Rimmel gives great curl and definition that lasts all day. Usually I either wear that combo or the amazing Jordana Fabu-lash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I picked this mascara up a few days ago before coming across this post. Sadly it did nothing for my lashes. It did not give me the volume that I wanted.

    I am back to my go to Maybelline Falsies. It is the mascara that I always go back to and gives me the look that I like.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig