Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 8, 2012

Reader Spotlight: Lillian


For this week's installment of Reader Spotlight, I'd love to introduce you to Lillian. Some of you may know Lillian as a long-time commenter on this blog, but most of you probably know her from her own blog, Funny Face's Place. Lillian, who is located in London,  is one of the sweetest girls I've ever had the pleasure of "meeting" and her talent as an artist carries over to everything she does with makeup and fashion (she even has her own adorable jewelry line). Lillian's use of bold color inspires me to break out of my "earthtone comfort zone", and I fell in love with her talents early on. In fact, what sealed the deal for me were her "Elementals" makeup looks from 2010 where she interpreted Ice, Air, Water and Fire. Amazing. So without further ado, meet Lillian!

Keep reading for my interview with Lillian...

Q: How long have you been reading Nouveau Cheap?

Hmm something like 2 1/2 years now, I started blogging in the summer of 2009 and definitely found Nouveau Cheap quite early on. I tend to stalk blogs silently for a while before I start commenting.

Q: Do you remember how you initially found this blog?

I believe I had been googling for Hard Candy reviews and swatches. We used to have Hard Candy in the UK years ago, then it disappeared. It came back in the states completely rebranded but as it's partnered with Wal-Mart we didn't get it back over here. I'd really love to try some of the new products as I really liked the brand before. Anyway I found Nouveau Cheap had a big haul and several reviews of the products and have been reading ever since :)

Q: Have you ever purchased a drugstore product because of a review on this blog? If so, how did it work for you?

Yes, one I can definitely remember was Physicians Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation. I had mixed feelings about it, it was a great powder foundation, beautiful at evening out and perfecting my skintone without looking cakey but the powder was far too dark for me, even though I was using the lightest shade. Also I found the little sponge that came with it useless.

Q: Name your top five drugstore beauty brands.

Barry M, Sleek, Revlon, MUA and ELF (you can't actually get it in stores in the UK but you can in the US so I count it as a drugstore brand :P)  I really wish I had easier access to some US brands like Wet n Wild, Nyx, Milani, Hard Candy and so on. I've got bits and pieces from holidays, blog sales and gifts from friends and they're all really high quality, with great product selections and so beautifully cheap!

Q: What are some of your Holy Grail drugstore beauty products?

Revlon Matte lipsticks, Sleek blushes and eyeshadow palettes, Models Own nail polishes and lipsticks and Barry M nail paints.

Q: What's your go-to lip color shade?

I can't pick just one! If I want a classic red lip then I'll reach for Revlon Matte lipstick in Really Red, Barry M's 62 is a brilliant neon pink, NYX Snow White is a brilliant deep vampy red and Sleek Mystic is a brilliant purply pink.

Q: Approximately how many bottles of nail polish do you own?

Somewhere over 200. It's funny because up until about 2 years ago I really wasn't interested in polish at all and owned about 5 bottles! Blogging has sent me mad for polish!

Q: What was your most recent drugstore beauty purchase?

2 'Truly Mattely Deeply' Lip glosses from Sleek in Jazz and Soul. They're called glosses but seeing as they're opaque, matte-effect and long lasting they're more of a liquid lipstick in my opinion.

Q: What are some drugstore beauty products that haven't worked for you (and why)?

I'm really not keen on Bourjois' blushes or eyeshadows, I find them incredibly unpigmented. Sleek Pout Polishes are lovely colours and feel nice on my lips but I absolutely hate the way they taste. And Barry M Croc Effects nail paints, these look so cool on other people but I just cannot get them to work properly!

Q: If you could create a limited edition drugstore beauty collection, what would it contain?

Some really wild lip and mascara colours! greens, blues, yellows, purples, neons etc. While you can find nearly any colour of lipstick you could wish for they tend to either be really cheap, Halloween makeup that doesn't work too well or higher quality but from very expensive brands and it's basically impossible to find a brightly coloured mascara that really lengthens, volumises and curls as well as just colouring the lashes. 

Q. Would you like to share a picture with us (of you, your makeup stash, a pet, etc.)?

I've attached a photo of me: 


What a fun picture, Lillian! Thanks so much for allow me to interview you for this series--I wish I could send you every single thing you can't get in the UK, and in return I would only ask for a lifetime supply of Crunchies and Curly Wurlys (and maybe a few products from Barry M). Ha ha! :)
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Yay! I LOVE Lilian's blog, her personal style, mad makeup and fashion skills, everything really. So glad she's been profiled here! And the profile is really reminding me of how much I miss UK drugstore brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this! She's an absolute doll, isn't she? :)

      Delete
  2. Yay, I love Lillian! BUY HER STUFF IT'S AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great interview! Those lengthening mascaras sound great!! I also love mua & sleek but I can Only get them via mail order from the UK to USA! Sleek palettes are some of the most amazing Es I've ever used! Go UK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun gal! (glad Lillian isn't a male, I'd be calling her a mushroom...fun guy...fungi...;D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what I wouldn't give to head over the pond to haunt some drugstores and see all the goodies that they have there that we don't! I love English phrases too!
    Plus I would like to test my accent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for featuring me and all your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lillian!!! Thanks for the interview! Lillian, you're an inspiration to me in terms of artistry and also being a very fair-skinned girl like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If your looking for uk products check out ebay im sure some sellers would ship to the usa. I have a pack of curly wurlys here. I love american chocolate hershey kisses and cadburys caramac , i think its called that.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig