Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rockin' and rollin' (and hopin' we don't fall into the Pacific Ocean)

 source: USGS website

Just wanted to give you a quick update on the status of the Weekly Drugstore Sales post:

I have been battling a mild case of the flu for the past few days, so that set me a little behind on all things blog-related. I'm about halfway through the Weekly Drugstore Sales post right now, and it should be up within the next hour or so.

Something that caused me to stop blogging altogether today today was the fact that we've had several earthquakes here in the San Diego area today, with at least two of them in the 5.0 category (for those unfamiliar with earthquakes, 5.0s are not huge, but they're certainly enough to make you get up and run for cover). 

As a native of San Diego, I'm used to these types of earthquakes and they normally wouldn't stop me from my usual daily tasks. However, this particular cluster of earthquakes was centered on the southern end of the San Andreas Fault, which is always cause for concern.


From the San Diego Union-Tribune, earlier today:
The swarm began late Saturday night with a series of small quakes on the Brawley Fault Zone, east of San Diego. The region produced a 5.4 quake at 12:31 p.m., then a 5.5 at 1:57 p.m. They were part of the roughly 150 quakes that occurred in that region between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Sunday.
It does not appear that either quake caused significant damage in San Diego County. But Bob Dollar, a seismologist at the USGS, says "there's a small chance that something bigger could happen."

A swarm of small quakes is not unusual, especially along the Brawley Fault Zone. Dollar notes that since 1932, there have been 15 earthquakes there measuring 5. to 5.9, and one that measured over 6.0. The region is close to the southern terminus of the San Andreas fault, which is the geological dividing line between the Pacific and North Atlantic tectonic plates. USGS and Caltech researchers say that Southern California could suffer the "Big One" if the entire southern San Andreas fault broke.
"The Brawley Fault Zone is very active seismically, but it is unusual to have two 5.0-plus quakes occur so close together in time. We'll have to watch to see what happens," said Tom Rockwell, a San Diego State seismologist who studies the San Andreas and Imperial fault systems.
"The big concern is if a moderate earthquake would lead to a larger earthquake on the San Andreas," Rockwell said.
Not fun! But anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that the Weekly Drugstore Sales Post will be up today...it's just that the flu, coupled with earthquake paranoia, have set me back a little bit. But hey, putting together drugstore sales is a lovely diversion from watching hurricane and earthquake reports on CNN all day, so for that I'm thankful!

Hope you're safe and sound, wherever you are. 

G. xo

PS: And as I said on Twitter a little while ago, maybe I should send one of you my polish collection in case we do snap off into the Pacific Ocean! I'd hate to see all those pretty bottles go to waste. ;)
SHARE:

32 comments

  1. I hope everything turns out okay G! Just wanted to take a second to thank you for all the hard work you put into your blog to help us. It doesn't go unnoticed! :) Oh! And also, I'd gladly take your nail polish collection off your hands... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all the kind words! I can't tell you much I appreciate that. xo :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! You certainly deserve it :). BTW, this is me, Slice of glitter, I just forgot my password and decided to make a new account, haha! :)

      Delete
  2. Stay safe and get well soon, G!

    P.S., I'd be glad to take the polish collection off your hands, just in case! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Thank you, and i'm definitely trying my best to stay safe over here! xo

      Delete
  3. Oh no! That is pretty scary! We only get tiny earthquakes in ohio but I'm sure real ones are much scarier. I hope you don't float away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Please send a life raft if we do? ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! That is really scary! I don't know what I would do if I ever experienced an earthquake! I am crazy paranoid for you! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn! It's a really weird feeling to have the earth shake beneath your feet...you feel so helpless! :/

      Delete
  5. I live 5 mins away from brawley...they have evacuated ppl from the hospital, windows have broken from store fronts, a fire started, stores r trashed w flying merchandise and there was a partial building collapse...but we r still good! We have been getting a TON of action today and up until 30 mins ago we have been feeling them non stop. I can relate G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Melissa! That's hell on earth! I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. I wish there was something I could do to help. I know that feeling of just waiting for ” the next one” and it is awful. I'm sending you big hugs right now and please do everything you can to stay safe!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for ur kind words. After the 7.2 a few yrs ago im not too scared (i mean i AM but not "as much") we lost a lot of good nail polish and makeup that yr, a few decorations and a tv. That was nothing compared to our neighbors who had to leave their house for good due to a fire and flooding. Lets hope this is it at least for the night (those r the ones that scare me the most because u wake up disoriented to begin with and then w no lights! Yikes!) Well hope u feel better and take care!

      Delete
  6. Woah! Nvm we JUST had another huge one! O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo! Another?? I didn't feel that one, but i'm just waiting for the next...the waiting is the worst! I'm praying that's the last of it for a while for you guys. *hugs*

      Delete
  7. I hope everyone in the area can stay safe. That sounds so scary :( G, get better soon! Don't feel rushed to post anything, your health comes first. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Frisco, and live in San Diego. We don't move for less than a 6.5 in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be safe and feel better!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always heard that a lot of smaller ones is a good sign.. it's the long time with nothing that allows pressure to build and then release all at once that you have to worry about. Sending good thoughts your way in any case. I used to live in cali.. I had a parakeet that would go crazy right before a quake. He was my "advance warning system".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the smaller ones are better because that means the tension is releasing in small bursts instead of all at once. We won't break into the ocean though! It's impossible since California is part of the North American plate, and the San Andreas Fault is just the line of subduction between the NA plate and the Pacific plate. Sorry, I used to study geology in college! :P But that just means your polishes will be safe! Phew. :D

    toni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scary! I'm up in Central California, and while we don't get as many earthquakes here as you do in Southern California, I know they're not particularly fun. I can't imagine having that many in one day though. I things settle down over there, and I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take care of yourself and will say a prayer for y'all. Keep us in your as we prepare for the hurricane down here in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so worry for you ...I will be praying send you a big hug

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uugh so scary.. I remember our earthquake here in the east coast last year and it was scary as heck.. And it also was a lot smaller magnitude.. Feel better & stay safe.. Make sure you have an emergency kit that you can grab God forbid...

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! We never have that here in Michigan but the thought freaks me out for sure! I can't imagine being an earthquake veteran!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stay safe, stay attached and I hope you feel better soon! Better get some bubble wrap around those bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so scary. I hope today is a little better. We don't get too many earthquakes in St. Louis, but the one time we did all I remember is bolting straight out of bed for the nearest doorway. Of course, no one at work even felt it. I can't imagine feeling them all day. Once was enough for me. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm from southern Orange County so I feel earthquakes all the time. Because of the frequent earthquakes California has, I don't really worry about them. Now I'm starting to worry. I hope we don't experience a huge one in a while!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig