Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: LA Girl Magnetic Nail Polish in Magnetic Field

If 2011 was The Year of the Crackle, then 2012 is definitely The Year of the Magnetic. The first drugstore magnetic polish that popped up in my local drugstores was the collection from Pretty Woman back in January (which was the first magnetic polish I ever owned/reviewed here), followed by the Sally Hansen Magnetics, and then the limited edition Wet n Wild Magnetics and finally these magnetic polishes from LA Girl, which have been available online for a while, but only recently started to pop up in various Rite Aid locations in the past few months.

I was at a "foreign" Rite Aid last week (aka: a Rite Aid outside of my town that I rarely frequent) and I finally spotted the LA Girl display for myself. For some reason it just hasn't been available in the Rite Aids near my home, and by the time I found this display, it was completely wiped out except for one lonely bottle, which is the one I purchased. 

NOTE: these polishes retail for $6 on the LA Girl site and at Cherry Culture (they're actually currently on sale for $5), but if you're lucky enough to find them at Rite Aid, they're only $3.99 there.



 LA Girl Magnetic Polish in Magnetic Field
(Retail: $3.99 at Rite Aid and $6 on the LA Girl website, 0.47 oz)

LA Girl Magnetic Polishes are made in the USA and cruelty-free according to their website.

What's cool about the LA Girl Magnetic polishes is that, unlike most other drugstore magnetic polish collections which contain the same magnet pattern across all shades, each shade in the LA Girl collection contains a different magnet pattern (I wish I could remember which one of you first told me about this--if it was you, please leave a comment so that I can thank you!). You can see all of the different magnet patterns here.

Unlike other drugstore magnetic polishes, the magnet that comes with the LA Girl polishes is located at the tip of the cap. You just lift it out (it actually fits quite snugly in the cap, so you don't have to worry about it falling out):


The drawback to this type of magnet is that, unlike the Sally Hansen magnets, there's no lip or edge jutting out from the side of the magnet that you can rest on your finger (to keep the magnet steady and avoid having the magnet touch your wet polish):


 For size comparison:


As you can see, the entire magnet, including the casing, is quite small. It's good if you're someone who likes extreme precision and has a steady hand, but for the average user (myself included) it can be a challenge to hold this magnet steady and also keep it centered so that you have a centered pattern on your nail. 

These swatches were done after one coat of polish and one layer of top coat (more on that in a bit):





Clearly, the best nail of all is my index finger (far right in the above pics). I think this nail shows the most definition and a very crisp, clean pattern. It's too bad that, even after multiple attempts, I couldn't recapture that perfection with my other fingers. I literally went through half a box of cotton pads attempting to get the pattern just right on my other three fingers, but I finally gave up out of frustration.

After many, many botched attempts, I've come to the conclusion that the magnet is where it all fails for me. I've tried using one thick coat of polish, two thick coats of polish, one thin coat followed by one thick coat and vice versa. I've tried applying the magnetic for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 1 full minute, and no matter what, the crispness of the magnetic pattern still wildly varies. Therefore, I have to conclude that because of the small magnet and the inability to hold the magnet steady (due to the absence of a "lip" or "ledge"), just the tiniest movement will end up causing the design to look blurry or fuzzy. And before you ask, yes, I've used my hand as a stabilizer to keep the magnet in place, but that's still not good enough because the magnet also has to be held perfectly STRAIGHT and PARALLEL above the nail, which is very challenging since you're holding it in a free-floating position. No matter what, there's always going to be a slight angle there (unless you're a robot and can hold a flat surface perfectly parallel to your nail without any variance, in which case you'd really freak me out and I wouldn't want to know you. Joking of course, but not really.). 

Regarding top coat, I mentioned in my Sally Hansen review that applying clear top coat to magnetic polishes can disrupt the magnetic pattern. This can be the case even if you want until your polish is fully dry before applying top coat, so I wanted to show you what it looked like when I waited until my nails were completely dry, and applied NYC clear top coat. If you look at the above pics, you can see vertical lines running up and down my nails, which weren't there before I applied the top coat. So just be aware that this can happen.

FINAL VERDICT: I LOVE the starburst pattern of LA Girl Magnetic Field, but I don't like the magnet itself and how challenging it is to get a crisp, defined pattern on each nail. The color of Magnetic Field is a beautiful, almost icy teal, which just makes me wish even more that the magnet was easier to work with, because the starburst pattern looks awesome with this color. If you have zero experience with magnetic polishes from the drugstore, I would recommend buying one from Sally Hansen or Pretty Woman first (I haven't tried the LE Wet n Wild polishes yet but I hear they're good too). I think those polishes are more user-friendly, and once you have several applications under your belt, you might be ready for the free-floating magnet of the LA Girl polishes. I certainly wouldn't START my magnetic polish journey with these, but if I had, it probably would have made me hesitant to try other brands. So just know that not all magnetic polishes are this challenging.

 You can purchase LA Girl Magnetic Nail Polish at select Rite Aid stores and online here

Do you own any LA Girl Magnetic Polishes? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Psst! The Rite-Aid on Clairemont Dr near the 5 still has a pretty full display of these... I believe I saw at least one of every color and type of magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only magnetic is the rose/pink shade of LA Girl. I could only get it to work right on my index finger too, and I tried everything you did. I love the color, and the wear is nice too for the basic color. But the magnets are craptastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there the possibility you could leave the magnet on a flat surface like a table, then hold your finger over it? i have to try magnetic polish, im really curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the rose color as well and couldn't get the magnet to work on ANY of my nails. I agree with sanguinepen that the color is still pretty to use but the magnets suck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAVE to get on the magnetic polish bandwagon-they look so cool. Thanks for this review! I'll try to pick one up from Sally Hansen :)

    -hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok.. this is oficially awesome! I am getting myseld over to Rite-Aid tomorrow! The star design did me in!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really makes me regret getting the $15 ones from nails inc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the review. I only tried the Sally Hansen one so I was curious how the others stack up. I love the pattern of this one but I'm apprehensive about trying it out since I found the Sally Hansen one so frustrating work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Essence sells the magnet seperate from their brand of magnetic polish. You can pick it up at Ulta for about $2.50

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review! I really wanna try one of these and the WnW ones since they're so cheap compared to other brands.

    One thing I'm wondering, maybe you could attach the magnet to something like a popsicle stick or similar and hold that over the nail? You'd have to attach it good so it doesn't fall off into the wet polish but it might make it easier to hold. I might try that if I manage to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I going to copy you, if you don't mind, Miss DeVious DiVa. :)

      Delete
  11. I know this sounds stupid (and you've probably already thought of this) but if you already have a magnetic polish that works well you could try using that magnet on this polish. That will really tell whether its the magnet or the polish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For using magnets without a lip, I usually brace my forearms against a table to minimize wiggle, then hold the magnet and my nail sideways so I can see through the tiny gap between them to know I'm not touching the polish. I also usually only hold about 5-10 seconds unless I'm really having trouble getting the design to show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same one and I had the same issues with the magnet, but I have to admit the starburst pattern is too pretty to let that set it back. I found mine at Five Below for the same price, I wish I had gotten more, but I was afraid it would be a dud and have all these useless polishes. If anyone lives near a Five Below store they also sell Funky Fingers and fresh paint polishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love five below! They have a straight-up, 100% dupe of China Glaze's flip flop fantasy! It's by fresh paint and it's called guava.

      Delete
  14. China Glaze also sells a separate magnet with three different designs on it. I use it for all of my magnetic polishes. I just got a bronze Finger Paints bottle yesterday from Sally Beauty in the clearance bin for $3. I love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One Rite Aid near me had a bunch of colors for this one. Now I'm curious since I love the star pattern. Is the magnet heavy? I wonder if you could stick it on some tape in a tape dispenser and rest your finger under there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What if you set the magnet on the table facing up and held your finger over it (palm up)? While you would have to keep your hand/finger steady, that would be easier than trying to keep both hands still. Thanks for your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sound cool but after seeing the reviews on these and the Sally Hnsen ones (my fiance's mom told me about this during our WNW Be Jeweled hunt), I don't think I will be using these. I wouldn't even know the pattern is coming up due to visual impairment. I rather stick with the basics and try to find the crackles since they sound cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've found that using Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" clear polish as a top coat works better than actual "Top Coats". It still dries quickly but does not smear the pattern as bad as the quick drying top coats I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  19. $3 at 5 below! I got mine a while ago, and it WAS my first magnetic nail polish. I've only just gotten it to work properly. I think the polish dries up too quickly. I really have to rush to get the magnet over my nail or the polish will be too dry and there won't be a pattern at all. Als I agree it is hard to keep the magnet perfectly still without it touching the wet polish.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig