Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review & swatches: L'Oreal Limited Edition Nail Color in Brit Invasion

Remember the Limited Edition L'Oreal London Fall Nail Color Collection I showed you a few weeks ago? Well I finally found the display in my area, and when I saw the colors in person, I had a hard time deciding on just one bottle (I gave myself a limit since they weren't on sale when I found them). After much debate, I finally decided on the shade Brit Invasion, which I purchased for around $5.99 at my local Rite Aid.

 L'Oreal Brit Invasion
(retail: around $5.99, 0.39 oz)

Looking at this bottle, I think you can see why I picked this shade. As you know, I'm a sucker for taupe polishes, but I have to admit that if I'm going to add another taupe polish to my ridiculously large stash of taupe polishes, it has to be pretty darned special. And this one looks extremely special:



Brit Invasion is sheer, so it required three coats (even after three coats, you can still see a little bald spot on my finger to the far right in the following photo):


I took pictures in a variety of different lights so that you could better see the lovely golden shimmer running through this polish:


(Can we get a moment of silence for my long, pretty nails? Notice how they're back to sad little nubs in these pictures? Yeah, that's thanks to a nasty, clean break on my index finger, which is the reason why I'm only showing you three fingers in these pics. I had to file all of my nails down after that break, but that's what I get for pushing my limits and growing my nails past their usual breaking point. Sniff sniff.)



Sadly, the beautiful golden shimmer that you see in these photos is MUCH more pronounced in photos. In real life, the shimmer actually looks closer to this:


As much as I want to say: "GO! Run, don't walk, and FIND THIS POLISH NOW!" I simply can't. I wish I loved Brit Invasion as much as I should love it. And really, I should freaking LOVE this color. But, on the nail, the shimmer is so faint compared to what you see in the bottle and in photos that I actually don't think it's a true must-have. If you already have some taupe polishes, you could probably achieve a similar effect by slapping on a layer of fine gold shimmer polish.

I was really hoping that Brit Invasion would be the taupe version of Revlon Perplex. A taupe with mesmerizing, glowy hidden shimmer that dances on the nails at every angle. Sadly, I'm just not feeling that from this polish...but who knows? Maybe it'll grow on me and I'll learn to appreciate it for what it is.

If you own Brit Invasion, do you agree with me here, or do you think it's a must-have?
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. Ooooh! Thank you for sharing this one. I finally found the display at a Walgreen's and debated over which one to get. I chose Hyde Park which I just love even though I had a hard time getting it on. The first coat was streaky...the second coat was patchy/baldy and the third coat was kinda goopy....but in the end I just loved the color. It was kind of a classic British Racing Green. Now I guess I'm just going to have to go back and this one too!!!! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny is this - I just purchased this polish today! I hadn't seen it before but it's gorgeous. I love a good taupe polish (conservative work environment) so one with a little pizazz is awesome! Great swatches. I like your nails. Even though they're short to you (for me that would be 2-3 wks worth of growth) I think they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought pretty much the same thing. I feel like it's a gorgeous color but the formula is a little wonky so it just doesn't translate on the nail. I'm glad I picked it up, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how it compares to China Glaze's Ingrid? (I think that's the one!) I remember it having a similar base and a really pronounced golden shimmer..

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty! looks like this color has a lot of dimension

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a grey version of the L'oreal Owl's Night from last years collection. It would be great to see them side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I was thinking the same thing!

      Delete
    2. I nearly posted that but now I don't have to! It really does look like an 'office safe' Owl's Night.

      Delete
  7. I need to pick this up! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how it would fall flat in real life rather than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi G! thanks for another fantastic review on nail polishes.

    can you give your readers some pointers and tips on how to tell if a nail polish is a jelly polish? i LOVE that jelly texture for the spring and summer, but it's hard to tell in the bottle. the only jelly polish i have is by sheer luck! i want to buy more polishes with the jelly texture but every time it seems like a gamble. help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi G! thanks for another fantastic review on nail polishes.

    can you give your readers some pointers and tips on how to tell if a nail polish is a jelly polish? i LOVE that jelly texture for the spring and summer, but it's hard to tell in the bottle. the only jelly polish i have is by sheer luck! i want to buy more polishes with the jelly texture but every time it seems like a gamble. help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What if you put white under it? Smart or crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. your nails are looking awesome!!! i'll have to get some of that cuticle stuff you talked about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didnt get this as I have Owls Night and I think they are very close. The color selection in this group are fun

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brit invasion is gorgeous!! Now I'll be in the hunt for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hm, any thoughts on how this stacks up with Butter London's All Hail The Queen? LOVE that polish; hate the formula; it would be cool to have a dupe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replying to myself--nope, saw it in person in the store and it's not even close :(

      Delete
  16. This reminds me of a lighter version of an old Rimmel polish of which the name escapes me at the time (why do I think the name had something to do with a cat)in the flatter oval bottles. If anyone knows the one I am thinking of, please post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to say that this color looks similar to Illamasqua Baterium.. its very very close!.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I grabbed the green and blue from this collection, I love them. I was on the fence about this color and the yellow as well. I love their formula for their polish, shame this doesn't dry like it looks in the bottle =(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love the pictures of this.

    I lolled when you requested a moment of silence for your long nails. I was living vicariously through your newfound length. But believe me, they look wonderful whether short or long.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sat in my untrieds until yesterday and I am in love! I dont know why i waited until NOVEMBER. Formula is great. one coat gave me almost complete opacity but a second coat was all that was needed. Wasn't sheer in the slightest. Maybe I just got lucky with a good batch. I have heard several comments about it being sheer. Mine was perfect though. It dazzles on my nails and isn't dull. I just adore it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig