Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, May 14, 2012

Review: NYC Up To 8HR City Proof Extended Wear Lipglosses

I love NYC lip colors (the Lipstains and Duets are two of my most recent favorites). I really like NYC Liquid Lipshines, so when I received five of the ten shades from the new NYC Up To 8HR City Proof Extended Wear Lipgloss Collection for review, I was excited to try them out.

Read on for my thoughts on these new glosses:

 NYC Up To 8HR City Proof Extended Wear Lipglosses
(retail: $3.49 each, 0.22 oz)


(Apologies for not getting a good shot of the ingredients list of these glosses--it was impossible to clearly photograph the safety seals. But in case you're wondering, these glosses do not contain parabens, and they are made in Taiwan.)

I'm always a bit skeptical when I think of long-wear lipglosses. Lipgloss, by its very nature, isn't built to stay on the lips for an extended period of time. But, pushing aside my preconceived notions, I went in with an open mind about these glosses. So allow me to summarize my experience for you in a few simple sentences:

Do they last eight hours on my lips? 
No. 

Do they last longer than a "standard" lipgloss? 
Yes. I can get a solid four hours of wear from these, provided I don't have a meal within that time.

Are they sticky?
Yes. 

As sticky as a MAC Lipglass?
Yes.


So here's what I love:
  • First of all, the applicator is perfection. It fits the size of my particular lips perfectly, allowing for one-swipe application. And I love how it's slightly bent (see pic above) as well.
  • Three of the colors in particular stood out for me. 24/7 Lilac isn't normally a shade I would gravitate toward but, on my lips, it's a pretty nude that leans a bit taupish-lavender. I also love Perpetually Hot Pink and Cherry Ever After, which are clearly the more opaque shades in the bunch that I received for this review. If you're a fan of sheer reds (I personally own a zillion of them), Cherry Ever After is a beautiful one and it's the shade I've been gravitating toward the most.
  • I also love the fragrance of these glosses. To me, they smell like peach bubblegum and they taste like peach bubblegum too. Those who don't find the idea of peach bubblegum appealing will be happy to know that both the flavor and fragrance fade very quickly.
  • Most importantly: not only does the color last a long time on my lips, but the SHINE does as well (although not quite as long as the color). As many of you know, the shine of a lipgloss can be toast in under an hour, so this was a small miracle for me.


In person, Perpetually Hot Pink and Cherry Ever After are a touch more blue than what you see in my pics.


So here's what I don't love:
  • The texture is reminiscent of MAC Lipglasses, which I find a little too sticky for me personally. I know that many of you adore Lipglasses, so this probably won't be a deterrent for you, but I just wanted to put that out there. Obviously, to be a longer-wearing lipgloss, you need to have some "stick", so I wasn't surprised that these were sticky.
  • None of the shades in this range (please note that I only received five out of the ten shades available) were earth-shattering for me. Yes, I love 24/7 Lilac, Perpetually Hot Pink and Cherry Ever After, but there are similar shades at the drugstore. I was hoping that there would be something in this range that was a tiny bit more unexpected.
  • I'm a little sad that all of the shades I received contain at least some shimmer and/or sparkle. I love my cremes, so I was hoping that the two more opaque shades would be cremes but, alas, they both contain some fine gold shimmer.
FINAL VERDICT: If you're not turned off by sticky, tacky glosses, and you're looking for something a bit less fleeting than your average drugstore lipgloss, I think you might want to check out these new glosses from NYC. For $3.49 (or less if you catch them on sale), I think they're a bargain. Heck, the applicator alone is worth $3.50 to me (seriously, I looove that applicator). Again, you have to like or at least be able to tolerate a sticky gloss to wear these, but it's worth it if you're in the market for a gloss that has some extra staying power. I can get a good four hours from these glosses, and I'm a chronic gloss-eater (in other words, glosses don't usually last beyond two hours on my lips). Granted, my lips don't look exactly as they did upon initial application, but after a solid four hours I can still see the color and some of the shine is there as well (NOTE: unless I've eaten. These don't survive that long if you have a meal while wearing them). PS: In case you'd like to know how these compare to the Liquid Lipshines, you can read my review of those here (Lipshines are not sticky and they last 2-3 hours for me, so those are the two things that set them apart from these new glosses).

Have you tried any NYC Up To 8HR City Proof Lipglosses yet? Thoughts?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I have almost all of these glosses.. I do really enjoy them. I snagged most of them during Rite Aid's 40% off sale a while back, making them less than 2 bucks each. Not to bad! The price has allowed me to play with colors I don't normally go for. Also, I found that if you use these glosses as a base, I can apply a tinted lip balm over them and it gives it more slip, while maintaining some of the color underneath. First I apply the gloss, smoosh my lips together a bit, until you get the "tacky" feeling (which has grown on me, btw).. and then apply the tinted lip balm. I don't do this all of the time, but it's a trick that I have found works. Thanks so much for your blog.. my husband chuckles at my "makeup research" but your blog has helped me try things I would have otherwise overlooked. :) Have a great Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the phrase "makeup research"! I bought one of these, so far so good.

      Delete
  2. These glosses are so pretty! Thank you for the great pictures! I really want to try these. Like you, I wouldn't normally pick the 24/7 Lilac color, but because of the swatch, I think that one's the prettiest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only one of these--Rock on Ruby--but I really like it. I don't mind sticky gloss (I actually like it) and the wear time is stellar, especially with a stain underneath. Rock on Ruby is a great red with less obvious shimmer than the cherry one, so you might check it out. I too am a fan of creams. I'm dying to see some swatches of the rest of this color line, by the way, especially Coffee Break, and especially on lips, if you ever do that. My Rite Aid is always out of them, and they don't seem to have lit up the blogs. Why does NYC have such terrible color "swatches" on their website? They never look anything like the cosmetics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Coffee Break and it is gorgeous. I'm an NC30 brown hair and brown eyes. I highly recommend it!!

      Delete
  4. i have two limited editions (nude at night, and tangerine crush) and cherry ever after. tangerine crush is a cream, and nude at night has fine shimmer :). i think they're really great glosses, and luckily i picked ones with more pigmentation in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the color of 24/7 Lilac...I can't usually do purples, but it looks so much more brown-y on the skin than it does in the tube. As much as I love the color of Cherry Ever After there's no way I can pull that off. I'm much too pale for reds like that...I'd end up looking like a clown. I'm definitely gonna have to pick a couple of these up.

    (your reviews aren't helping my lip balm/gloss obsession any. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how honest you are with your reviews! I have been searching far and wide for lip glosses with staying power and have wasted so much money on Revlon and L'Oreal, so these allow me to have fun and experiment without the guilt!! I love the NYC Liquid Lipshine in Fashion Avenue Fuschia -- great color and TASTE!! Unfortunately, it won't last a long time, and because I'm in my 50's I have to be super-careful about the bleeding problem, but it's sooo moisturizing. I will check your website often, and truly appreciate all you do to fuel the obsession! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww too bad they are so sticky :( But for the price, I might buy one or two :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig