Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Nuance Salma Hayek Mineral Eyeshadow Duo in Sheer Plum/Putty

 Nuance Mineral Eyeshadow Duo in Sheer Plum/Putty
(retail: $8.49, 0.17 oz)

Today I'm bringing you the last review of the products I purchased a while back from the new Nuance Salma Hayek collection from CVS. Since the BOGOFREE sale on Nuance products is going on this week at CVS, I hope this helps some of you who may want a closer look before you make a purchase.




 The names of the shades in this duo are so fitting. Putty, the matte taupeish-gray shade, is actually the color of putty, while Sheer Plum is a sheer plum shade with a beautiful, soft shimmer.


Swatched without primer, both shades are pretty sheer, yet certainly not invisible. I find the texture of the matte shade, Putty, to be incredibly smooth and buttery. It's a joy to apply and much more smooth than even some of my high-end mattes. The texture of Sheer Plum is smooth as well, but it really benefits from the help of a primer. As the name implies, it's pretty sheer on its own. For the pics above, I used my CoverGirl Intense Shadowblast Primer in Beige Blaze and it seemed to darken both of the shades in the Nuance duo. But if you look closely, even though my Shadowblast is a shimmery primer, it didn't add too much shimmer to Putty (which is matte) but it DID enhance the shimmer in Sheer Plum.

Here's an eye look I did using both shades in the Nuance duo:


For this look, I used the following products:

Foundation:  
Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder Foundation SPF50 in Translucent Light

Concealer:  
Nuance Salma Hayek Front & Center Concealer + Brightener in Medium

Blush:  
Milani Baked Blush in Berry Amour

Lip color:  
NYC 16H Smooch Proof Lipstain in Champagne Stain

Eyeshadow Primer:  
CoverGirl Intense Shadowblast Primer + Shadow in Beige Blaze

Eyebrow Pencil:  
Maybelline Define-a-Brow in Dark Blonde

Mascara:  
NYC City Curls in Extreme Black

Eyeliner: 
The taupe shade in the Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Automatic Eyeliner Trio for Hazel Eyes

Eyeshadow:
Nuance Putty from lash line to crease and blended upward
Nuance Sheer Plum in outer "V" and blended across lid

As you can see, these shades work together to create a very natural, safe-for-work, daytime look. I love how they work so well together and I also love the soft, subtle look I can achieve. It's the exact type of look I love to wear on a daily basis.

Thinking of dupes for Putty, I immediately thought of MAC Copperplate, but as you're about to see, it's not really a dupe at all:


Even though these two shades are not even close to being dupes, I do want to note that the texture and smoothness of Putty is quite comperable to Copperplate, which I find to be one of the smoothest matte shades from MAC that I own.

And finally, since I own quite a few soft, subtle, earthtone mattes, I thought I'd swatch Putty next to a few others in my collection, just to help give you a better idea of this shade:



MAC Wedge is MUCH more warm, while Bobbi Brown Woodrose has a touch more pink to it, and lacks the gray that's in Putty.

FINAL VERDICT: If soft, subtle, wearable mattes are your thing, I think you might enjoy the Nuance Mineral Eyeshadow Duo in Sheer Plum/Putty. The texture of these shadows rivals my high-end shadows, although they work better with primer than when worn alone. Over my CoverGirl primer, I can get about eight hours of wear before I start to see creasing/fading. Both shades in this duo blend effortlessly and I can honestly say I don't have a dupe of either shade in my current eyeshadow collection.

I hope this review helps you better determine whether you might want to purchase this duo. If you have already purchased some products from Nuance, I'd love it if you'd share your thoughts below!

All Nuance products were purchased with funds. Some of the other products featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Oh! A 1/2 face shot! You pretty lady you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I wonder how Putty would work as a blonde brow color...

    I made out like a bandit with this sale. A CVS near me had body lotion samples with $2/off coupons for the skincare products, and I had 3 extra bucks, so I got the zit cream and the black eyeliner for 12 bucks. In that transaction, I got 5 extra bucks, which I used in conjunction with the other $2 off coupon to buy the exfoliating gel and the face wipes for a dollar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the lip gloss and balm. I thought it was pretty good. I would like to try the lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I love the Plum, not too cool for me like most plummy shades, looks like! I'm liking mattes a lot more these days too. Nice combo.
    I definitely need to get to CVS for this sale :) some of the lip stuff looked good, dying to see what you & everyone think of those.
    I have a different question for you though G, how are you applying the CG Beige Shadowblast? I have it, and it doesn't seem to dry well, or evenly, or I rub it all off. I want to like it! I like the bronze one but don't have the same issues. Perhaps I'm not applying it right or got a bunk tube b/c my Beige seems thinner/harder to apply than my Bronze.
    Do you blend with finger or brush from the wand? How much do you use each eye? How long do you let dry? Sorry for all the Q's but it's taunting me in my traincase so I want to see what I might be doing differently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I love the Plum, not too cool for me, looks like!
    I definitely need to get to CVS :) some of the lip stuff looked good to me, dying to see what you & everyone think of them.
    I have a different question for you though G, how are you applying the CG Beige Shadowblast? I have it, and it doesn't seem to dry well, or evenly, or I rub it all off. I want to like it, I like the bronze but don't have the same issues. Perhaps I'm not applying it right or got a bunk tube b/c my Beige seems thinner than my Bronze.
    Do you blend with finger or brush from the wand? How much do you use each eye? How long do you let dry? Sorry for all the Q's but it's taunting me from my traincase so I don't know what I should try next. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a more in-depth review- I am eyeing this for the sale this week and was glad for more details. I'm so undecided, but i'll probably get the face tint and a shadow duo since they're so office -appropriate, unlike most of mine. still wearing some Dreamweavers almost every day though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait till I get my hands on the CG shadow/primer thing, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig