Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Paula Begoun's Top 10 Beauty Products and more

This just hit my in-box and I thought it would be fun to share with you, since so many of us are fans of Paula Begoun.

I'd love to hear if you agree with her 10 Makeup Commandments and also if you've tried any of the products on her Best of the Best list. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!


Paula Begoun’s 10 Makeup Commandments
  1. Expensive Doesn’t Mean Better!  There are good and bad products in all price categories, and there are brilliant inexpensive products you should absolutely consider before going for the expensive stuff. 
  2. Shop With A Clean Slate!  If you plan to test foundation or concealer, visit the store or salon with a clean, bare face that’s prepped for makeup application, or be willing to take off the makeup you have on.
  3. The Right Light is Key!  Always check foundation, concealer and powder colors in natural light.  Department store lighting is deceiving; what looks perfect under artificial light can look glaringly wrong in broad daylight.
  4. Tone Down the Shine!  Be careful with shiny blush and eyeshadow.  Generally, for daytime makeup, a blush with a matte finish or just a hint of sheen works best.  Shinier makeup is best reserved for evening use or special occasions.
  5. It’s All in the Tools!  Whenever possible, test powder-based products (e.g., blush, eyeshadow) with the appropriate brushes.  Avoid sponge-tip applicators for eyeshadows and those cheap, super-tiny brushes often packaged with powder blushes.
  6. Protect Those Peepers & Lips!  Never test mascara or liquid eyeliner in the store.  Even if the brand offers disposable applicators, you don’t know how many people have double-dipped, how old the testers are, or how contaminated they may be.  We know it’s a pain, but for the health of your eyes, it’s best to purchase these products and test them at home.  The same is true when it comes to lip glosses.  Most glosses have sponge-tip or brush applicators that can harbor germs from other people.  It’s best to swipe the gloss on the top of your hand so you can get a sense of how the color “reads” on your skin and can assess its texture and finish.
  7. Smack On Lips, Not Germs!  Before you test a lipstick on your lips, have a salesperson sanitize it for you with an alcohol-based spray.  Lipsticks at the counter can become contaminated with germs and microbes that you don’t want near your mouth.  No alcohol spray?  Then wipe off several layers of lipstick with a clean tissue or have the sales associate “shave” off the top portion of the lipstick with a disposable spatula.
  8. Take Cues from the Pros!  See a cosmetics salesperson whose makeup you admire? Ask them for application tips, especially if their skin tone is similar to yours.  Chances are good you’ll pick up some great tips and begin to feel more confident about selecting the best colors for your needs.
  9. When In Doubt, Take It Back and Try Again!  If you buy a product that doesn’t work for you, don’t be afraid to take it back.  Almost all drugstores and mass-market stores (think Rite Aid and Wal-Mart) will provide a complete refund on cosmetics purchases if you have the receipt—even if the item has been used. 
  10. Bye, Bye Blues!  Lastly, as stated in Paula’s first book, Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal, AVOID blue eyeshadow.  Unless it’s a deep navy, which can almost pass for black, most shades of blue are difficult to work with.  Plus, they do not play up blue eyes; actually, the opposite is true.  The same goes for any eyeshadow shade that’s too colorful, including orange, green, fuchsia, teal and especially red, which can make your eye area look inflamed rather than attractive.  Not ready to give up such shades?  Think of the fashion magazine covers you’ve admired, and then ask yourself: How many of those models or celebrities were sporting bright, colorful eye designs?


The Best of the Best

The following is a partial list of products that not only rated extremely high for performance but also really impressed Paula Begoun and The Cosmetics Cop team.  Given how many thousands of makeup products Paula and her team review annually, rest assured that these are among the best of the best.  For the complete reviews and lists of the best products in every makeup category, please visit Beautypedia.com on your computer or mobile phone FREE for a limited time!
  1. Boots No7 Cheek Tint ($9.99)
    • Generously-sized cream-to-powder blush that can go from sheer to intense
    • Application is super-easy and all of the colors are gorgeous
  2. M.A.C. Haute & Naughty Lash ($18.00)
    • Two mascaras in one component, each with impressive, distinctive effects
    • Wears beautifully yet  is easy to remove
  3. Sephora Rouge Cream Lipstick ($12.00)
    • Elegantly smooth cream texture imparts rich color
    • Brilliant range of shades without garish frost or sparkles
  4. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow Blush & Bronzer ($12.49)
    • Beautiful pressed powder blush and bronzer in one sleek compact
    • Looks great when used separately or together
  5. Victoria’s Secret VS Makeup Soft Focus Liquid Foundation SPF 20 ($16.00)
    • Outstanding sun protection from gentle mineral actives
    • Supremely silky with a satin glow finish to enliven dry skin
  6. Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Voluptuous Mascara Waterproof ($8.49)
    • A waterproof mascara that does everything right, but nothing too extreme
    • Quickly enhances lashes, then wears without a worry
  7. Revlon Luxurious Color Satin Eye Shadow ($4.99)
    • Powder eyeshadow singles that’s shine done right
    • No matter how much you apply, the shine won’t flake!
  8. Revlon Age Defying Moisturizing Concealer SPF 25 ($8.99)
    • Creamy, eye-area concealer with broad-spectrum sun (and wrinkle)  protection
    • Provides great coverage without magnifying the look of lines
  9. Physician’s Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation ($14.95)
    • A powerhouse of potent sun protection to help prevent wrinkles and discolorations
    • Enviably smooth texture with a soft, flattering matte finish
  10. N.Y.C (New York Color) Extreme Lip Glider Lip Gloss ($3.00)
    • One of the least expensive lip glosses with a smooth, non-sticky texture
    • Enticing range of sheer colors in a convenient squeeze tube for quick application 
     
    BONUS: Paula’s Choice Illicit Lash Maximum Impact Mascara ($10.95)
  • Nimble rubber-bristled brush reaches each and every lash fast
  • Brilliant way to get longer, defined lashes with a soft curl
Want to know if one of your favorites got a top rating?  Visit Beautypedia.com FREE through February for a complete list of the best makeup and skin care.


So, dear readers, what do you think? I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see that two of the products I constantly rave about on Nouveau Cheap (#4 and #9) made her Best of the Best list (and #4 just so happens to be on clearance at CVS right now if you want to try it!). As for her 10 Makeup Commandments, I have to admit, I still enjoy an occasional pop of teal on my eyes, and sometimes even teal eyeliner.

So, let's hear it! What do you think? Do you agree with Paula Begoun's advice or choices for Best of the Best? Have you tried any of the products on her list? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. #6 and #8 are one of my favourite drugstore products so happy to have it on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blue eyeshadow should be illigal? i think thats a bit of an overstatement! Yes bright shadows and eyemakeup a bit more difficult to work with then neutrals, but if you do it right, it can look great! limiting yourself to neutrals is boring... and i have seen LOTS of beautiful celebrities rock bright eyemakeup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blues can be hard to work with, and I understand the temptation to ban them outright (because that's easier than explaining subtleties) but the right blue can be amazing. I like turquoise and warm-toned baby blues. The brighter and clearer the color, the better. Anything grayish won't work on me, but it might look great on someone with cool-toned skin.

    And lime green is my FAVORITE.

    Her other suggestions are good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a sense I think she is right about brights, because technically the purpose of eyeshadow is to shade the eye and bright shadows oppose that, but I think bright colors can be nice sometimes. I think intense shimmer during the day can be overwhelming, but what would I do with all my shimmery shadows? Mattes are harder to come by and I never go out at night. I follow most of her advice, but since I can only get away with crazy makeup for so long, I think I'm going to milk it for all it's worth! Also, her product recommendations are spot on. I have all those products and LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything EXCEPT her disdain for bright shadows. My bright eye makeup is totally a part of me at this point. I feel like it's my signature. I think anyone can pull off bright, even red shadow, if they find a way to apply it that works for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Paula Begoun... I'm a little ambivalent towards her. Half of her rhetoric is based on scare tactics, but taken generally, I don't really disagree with her points.

    But seriously, sometimes I feel like she needs to get over herself. That last "Commandment" just made any respect I had for her drop like 50 points, LOL. I mean, how pretentious can you get?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea. I am a long-time fan of her work, but I really think she's getting a little too overbearing. I mean, yes, bright shadows are tricky, but I wear what I want, and it makes me happy. I know blue eyes aren't as flattered by blue shadows (and I mention it every time a company makes an eye-enhancing kit and the blue eyes get only blue shadows!) but come on, most people are too scared to wear brights, so those that can enjoy them should have fun! Makeup is more kinetic and expressive than she would like to dictate.

    Also, when going out I do wear more metallic eye shades, but I save my shiny face powders or blushes for other times, because they look amazing IRL but they typically photograph as over the top shine.

    Paula, we love ya, but chill out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta say I wasnt crazy about the blue shadow comment. I have a couple that i use on my blue eyes and boy do they make my eyes POP. Also I often use navy eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew about the Sephora Rouge Cream lipsticks.. those things are amazing. They are a lower priced Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense, in my opinion. I keep looking at the Revlon concealer, but I never buy it. I don't like NYX eyeshadows for the most part, but I buy a lot of their Mega Shine glosses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stocked up on the physicians formula pressed bronzer love love that stuff

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say that I love really bright eyeshadows, and they work with my dark eyes! Acid/lime greens look especially flattering, and I always get compliments when I wear anything in that colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a lot of respect for Paula's opinions, and I like a lot of her products, but I also find her kind of humourless. There's an element of fun in beauty products that seems to have completely passed her by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought the commandments were sensible and helpful (though very few places in England will allow returns on used makeup :( ) until number 10. It's just so dull and unimaginative to say that no-one should use blue eyeshadow. I have blue eyes and it's true, blue shadow doesn't 'bring them out' but it still looks fun and pretty! The same with the bright coloured eyes. And actually the majority of magazine covers or adverts that have stuck with me HAVE featured bright, eye-catching colours. I really hate the idea of their being 'rules' of makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't disagree with her more about the last Commandment. Sure, we've all seen the ladies with the garish makeup who wear blue eyeshadow, but they're just doing it wrong. I have very fair skin, dark eyes, and dark hair and blues happen to look good on me, especially those that air on the purple side. There are so many different shades of blues, so that generalization couldn't be more wrong. I used to read stuff like this and totally trust the advice-giver, but now I take it with a huge heap of salt. As long as you look at your makeup with a critical eye you probably won't end up looking like a clown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm kind of tired of all these "Rules" of makeup. Everyone is different and I personally think it's silly to limit yourself- makeup is one of the few things you can experiment with harmlessly! Just wipe it off if you don't like it. I understand having guidelines and tips for people that are seeking a natural way to enhance their features but if you like to express yourself through you makeup, hair and clothing then throw out the rulebook and make it up as you go along. Do what makes you happy! Life is way too short to forbid yourself to wear any color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this. I really like that this is more about hygiene and lighting, not about so-called "rules" of makeup! I'm writing a trackback to this post as we speak!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig