Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, November 8, 2010

Have you tried...New Blistex Five Star Lip Protection?

I'm starting a new feature today on Nouveau Cheap where I pose the question "Have you tried..." in reference to a brand new product that I've spotted but have yet to try myself. Seeing as I cannot try every new product I see on the market  (oh how I wish I could!), I thought I'd open it up to YOU and get your feedback!

So today's Have you tried... goes out to:

From Blistex.com:

As an all-weather, all-season lip balm, Five Star Lip Protection keeps lips covered regardless of the condition, moving beyond standard to amplified protection.

Blistex Five Star Lip Protection contains an advanced formula including natural essential oils and extracts and a proven active skin protectant to provide the ultimate daily protection, as well as comfort for dry, chapped lips, including:
  • Glycerin - Retains moisture in dry air by pulling in up to 20 percent of its weight in water from the surrounding environment
  • Candelilla - Forms a barrier against moisture-robbing wind
  • Wheat Germ Oil - Rehydrates heat-stressed lips
  • Calendula Oil - Soothes and helps heal cold-chapped lips that result from colds and the winter months
  • Four sunscreens - Provides a broad spectrum SPF 30 UVA/UVB for year-round sun-protection recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology
With an expected retail price of $1.59 - $2.49, Blistex Five Star Lip Protection will be available at supermarkets, drug stores and mass merchandisers nationwide in October 2010.

So basically, this lip balm claims to: (1) protect lips against dry air, (2) sooth cold-chapped lips, (3) rehydrate heat-stressed lips, (4) form a wind-resistant moisture shield, and (5) provide UVA/UVB sun protection. Thus, its "five-star" title.

That's a pretty tall order, so I'm curious if you've tried it yet and, if so, what you think! I spotted this balm at my local Vons grocery the other day, and whenever Vons puts out a new beauty product, they offer it at an "introductory price" so it's on sale right now for $1.59, in case you live near a Vons and would like to try it.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Weird! I've owned this for quite a while now...

    I love it! I'm not a big lip balm wearer, but it always leaves my lips feeling moisturized and never greasy. And it has the BEST soft vanilla almond scent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin: Did you say vanilla almond scent?? OK, that is a definite selling point for me! Thank you for the great feedback! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its not easy to find one with SPF30. The only one I know is from Cancer Council Australia, which is definitely not available to most people. This new product comes in just at the right time. Thanks for sharing the news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I got this a few weeks ago. It reminds me of one they used to have in a light blue container - I wonder if they've used the same formula and just renamed it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. jojoba: You know, I never thought about that! Most seem to have SPF15, right? Well...looks like *two* good reasons to try it now (the first being Erin's comment about the vanilla almost scent). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JenJen: Really? Hum...that's very interesting! I don't think I ever used the one in the light blue tube, so I would never know the difference! Thanks hun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanilla almond wind resistant dry air protection? I MUST HAVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My lips are ultra sensitive and for some reason the only balm I can use is Blistex. This is definitely going to be mine list for my next trip to the drugstore. I need this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought this last week while looking for the tinted carmex and I really like it! I always look for something with SPF and with winter coming up my lips are starting to chap BIG time. The taste/scent is a bit strange for me, but I like it. Not sure if it's worth a repurchase for me, my got to is blistex mint with SPF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yes that scent sounds perfect and i love lip balms...will be looking for this to add to my collection :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got this today and so far so good! I agree with JenJen - it reminds me of the one in the blue container. It does have a hint of vanilla almond scent, and tastes sweet despite the spf in it. It's very moisturizing! I found it at Target for $1.57

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm alternating between two different balms and jojoba made me check them for SPF, the Chapstick Fresh Effects (it's mint) says...nothing! I just assumed they all had SPF 15 at least!

    The Softlips (honeydew melon) has SPF 20, but since I got it from the Dollar Tree, I'm not sure if I can really count on that. It might be old stock. I understand that every year you're supposed to buy new sunscreen because the SPF degrades over time? Wouldn't that also be true in your lip balm?

    I want to try this one and it's because of the vanilla almond fragrance too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. meh.
    I didn't like this one at all. Something about the smell and taste. The SPF 30 always tastes funky; not that I am eating it off my lips but I'd rather my lip balm not taste funky.
    I'm just saying.
    It DID moisturize and it had a small amount of shine ( I kept this in mind bc I wanted to suggest a lip balm to my guy friends).
    Plus I'm a HUGE lip balm junkie. I have one in every purse I own, and considering I lurve purses like I love air, that amounts to a lot of lip balm and purses. I disliked this so much that I left it at my friends house when I went to visit her and didn't ask her to send it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a guy and this is great, second time purchase, last bought one in 2011, and it is now 2015. The only chap stick it's equal is Gosling's (for trumpet players) so that should speak volumes. I Longboard to the office and I'm very happy with it for use in heat and wind I can attest that it is effective. Love the smell and taste, I would happily purchase the Ice Cream version. Call this a cross between Amaretto and Vanilla Bean. You'll be happy to wear this for your morning coffee. I actually craved lip medicine as I walked to the store and this totally nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it. It smells great and taste sweet too. Leaves lips soft and moisturized.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig