Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

From the Vintage Vault (lip edition)

I can't tell you how excited I am that my Vintage Vault posts seem to be a hit with you. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who likes to look at beauty products from the 80s, 90s and early 00s! Sometimes it makes me sad that these products are no longer available, and sometimes it makes me happy to see how far we've come in terms of innovations in the makeup world. Also, it's fun to re-tell "history" for those of you who were not around during this time period, or may have been too young to purchase makeup. I also LOVE taking a stroll down memory lane with those of you who remember, and owned, some of these products, so let's get started.

Today I'm showing you vintage lip products from the drugstore, and I'm super excited about what I uncovered in my stash!

First up, I found my much-coveted red Rouge Pulp from L'Oreal!

L'Oreal Rouge Pulp Liquid Lipstick in Carnal (circa 2002)



If you saw my previous Vintage Vault post about the Blushing Rouge Pulp, you know how much I loved these liquid lipsticks from the early 00s. And Carnal was my FAVORITE because it was just the most beautiful shade of blue-red available at the drugstore during this time (well, to me at least). I remembering wearing the heck out of this shade, and I know several of you loved it as well!

Next up, Do any of you remember Naturistics? This brand was discontinued sometime during the early 00s and, to my knowledge, it was one of FIRST drugstore makeup brands to emphasize natural, vegan ingredients and promote cruelty-free practices.

Naturistics Miss Kiss Lip Gloss (shade unknown), circa 2001

Naturistics was also first, if my memory serves me correctly, to come out with a "dupe" of the ever-popular Stila click-pen delivery system for lip gloss. This delivery system is so commonplace nowadays, but back in the early 00s it was still a big deal and I totally remember freaking out when I first saw these at the drugstore because NOBODY offered click-pens aside from Stila. Naturistics Miss Kiss glosses were the BOMB back in the day, and I swear to you, if this blog was around back then we would ALL have been talking about how much we love these things. They were beyond popular and everyone rushed to get them in every shade available.


Here's an unopened gem from Naturistics:

Naturistics Lip Gloss Stick in Jelly Bean, circa 2001


A few things of interest to note about this package. I discovered that Naturistics was made by Del Labs:


And as some of you may know, Del Labs also makes our beloved Sally Hansen and N.Y.C.! Also, take a look at this:


Like I mentioned earlier, Naturistics was one of the first drugstore brands to promote vegan and cruelty-free products. I honestly don't remember another drugstore makeup brand doing this at this time. Do you?

I hope you enjoyed this stroll through the Vintage Vault and, as always, I would love to hear from you if you remember (or don't remember!) anything mentioned in this post.
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. that Rouge Pulp was the best! messy as anything, but the perfect shade of red!

    i had totally forgotten about naturistics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had (still have I think) a Rouge Pulp in this incredibly dark purple color. Throwback to my goth days!

    I have forgotten about Naturistics too! They made this lip gloss/balm that came in a tin that was AMAZING. Oh, how I loved that stuff. *wipes away single tear*

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a really gorgeous pearly pink Rouge Pulp color that I wore ALL the time. Can't remember what it was called now!

    I'm with Miss Goat up there - completely forgot about Naturistics! Del Labs also had a line of nail polishes back in the day (I'm talking late 70s/early 80s) called Serendipity; Mom had a bottle of their topcoat until very recently. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love Rouge Pulp! :) That was a wonderful red! I wonder if we could campaign to L'Oreal to bring back Rouge Pulp.

    I used to L O V E Naturistics. I had so many of the flavored lip blam/glosses. I wish they still made it. I still collect Lip Smackers but it isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness... Normally I don't post on these blogs, but when I saw this post I had to! I loved Naturistics...and was crushed when I couldn't buy it any more. Especially the chrome eyeliners and those tubes of gloss jelly. They tasted so good... In fact...when I first learned I might not be able to get them any more, I bought a bunch of those glosses, and I am still (yes, I know, years later) working my way through unopened packages... They are really shiny for my style now, but they feel and taste soooo good. This vintage vault post really rang true with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An unopened box of lip tint?! The horror! Why didn't you open it? ;-)

    I've never heard of this company before. What an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had one of those lip gloss sticks! I don't know what flavor it was, but I know I used it a ton & loved it.

    I also believe I had a rouge pulp - I'm sure it wasn't red...

    I wonder why Naturistics went out of business!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naturistics!! Chalk up one more who still misses their glosses in the tin. Best tasting glosses ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had that same shade of Rouge Pulp and wore it everywhere! I also used Naturistics; their powder was perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I LOVED Naturistics. I found a bottle of nail polish the other day that brought back some memories - it's a Love My Nails. Does anyone know if Love My Nails and Love My Lips is even still around? Our selection where I live is pretty limited - Just Walgreens and Wal-mart. I miss Riteaid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. theetinygoat: Totally agree about that red! :)

    princessfats: OMG, I don't even remember those tins! I wish I did, but I can't seem to recall them. Was the tin round or square? Thanks!

    Avalon76: I vaguely remember those polishes! Oh, I wish I could see one right now to fully jog my memory! :)

    Melissa: Yay! I knew you loved that red shade too. :D And yeah, I really loved Naturistics, so it comes as no surprise at all that you did too. Haha!

    Dani: Wow, I'm so happy that this post inspired you to leave a comment! I wish I remembered those chrome liners! I think I would have been obsessed with them. :)

    LT: You know, I think I remember that I bought that gloss to give to someone, so that's why it stayed unopened. Then, obviously I forgot to give it to the person I bought it for, and well, now it's kind of too late. The color looks a bit off, so I'm scared to open it. Haha! :)

    Emily: Oh my gosh, you did? How cool is that?? And yeah, it's a bummer that Del Labs chose to get rid of this brand. :(

    graziaplena: Darnit, I wish I remembered those tins!! I'm totally drawing a blank on what they looked like. :(

    Jules: OMG, you did? That's so cool! We were rocking the same shade of red back in the day. Yay!

    Steph: The last time I was at Walmart (a while ago) I saw Love My Nails, and they also had eyeshadows and lip colors. But I haven't ever seen them anywhere else (my Wags doesn't carry the line). :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had that exact shade from Rouge Pulp, because Milla wore it in an ad.. and I had to have it. What a great texture and full pigment it had! I can't believe they got rid of those. I also wore Airwear foundation constantly. I wore Naturistics products... they had perfumes and body sprays. I wore this stuff called White River Musk.. or White Water.. lmao Can't remember, but it was 10th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i do actually recall Naturistics because one of my friends adored their lip products and i preferred CoverGirl Lipslicks at the time (though now i think i'd switch). she was older than me though- this was like back in junior high or even middle school and lip balms or glosses were the only MU i had!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I like the VV that include things that are a little hazy for me. Or that I don't remember. I only vaguely remember the rouge pulp, and definitely never noticed the other stuff. Yay for VV!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They still sell Rouge Pulp lipliners at the Dollar Tree near me, except they are in colors I'd never use, brown and beige.

    Do you remember years ago a company called Cosmetique? They were in all the fashion/beauty magazines, like Cosmo, Mademoiselle, Glamour, etc. Anyway it was like a club, they sent you a new package of makeup every month for something like $19.99 if you decided to keep it. My introductory package was Calvin Klein cosmetics. I want that eyeshadow palette back! It had the best colors, the blushes weren't bad either. I still have the blush brush, it's awful. It's small and scratchy compared to the nice big fluffy blush brushes they sell now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember having the Naturalistics lip gloss, but don't recall a specific flavor, but knowing me it was probably something like cherry/cranberry or similar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember seeing Rouge Pulp for the first time in the late 90's, I believe. It was the first DS lip gloss w/ plumping action. I jumped right on that. BUT..."pulp" was an apt name for it. It was so pulpy & sticky, I felt like I had sap on my lips. But it did plump the lips, somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw I love these posts G! Think you will do another soon? I totally remember Naturistics! They made one of my favorite lip glosses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to necro, but I absolutely love these vaults!! Seeing the phrase "Miss Kiss" reminded me of something... I have this CRAZY Miss Kiss nail polish in "Celebrity." It's referred to as nail gloss, which is weird, but it's this super-opaque metallic pink glitter. I can't find ANY info. on it online, but it must be from Naturalistics, as it's also made by Del Labs. It's such a unique color and it's held up extremely well for its age. The formula is just fantastic. Have you seen any of this "nail gloss" around?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig