Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, April 18, 2010

Review: Ruby Kisses Flower Girl Nail Color

I first spotted Ruby Kisses nail polishes last year at a local beauty supply store. For around $1 each, I have to say that this lesser-known beauty supply brand offers quite an impressive array of shades, and every time I see a display, something new and unique catches my eye.

I've mentioned Ruby Kisses a few times on Nouveau Cheap (click here and here) but if you are a long-time reader, you know that I generally tend to go for bright, bold or dark shades. I very rarely buy light shades of nail polish, and I generally tend to stay away from sheers altogether (unless I'm buying them for layering purposes). But this Ruby Kisses shade, called Flower Girl, really caught my eye the other day and I just had to have it.

In the bottle, Flower Girl looks like a ballet-slippers-pink shade with green and gold flashes. The flashes were what drew me to this color because I always love a traditional color that has a little spin or unique twist to it.

Ruby Kisses Flower Girl (retail: around $1)


It was cloudy when I took these pics so I really could not capture the green and gold flashes in this color, but trust me, they're there and far more obvious in real life. The green stands out more toward the top of the bottle.

Who knew, when I put this on, that I would instantly think, "MANNEQUIN HANDS!" (If you're not familiar with this term, click here for the definition).



It's so bizarre! The pink color of the base, mixed with the gold and green flashes, makes this shade an almost spot-on match for my very own skin! Until, of course, my nails catch the light and the green shimmer appears. But anyway, I think this is the closest I've come to a true "mannequin hands" color, and I wasn't even looking for one. Pretty funny!

All in all, this is probably not a shade I'll reach for too often. It's VERY sheer (the above pics were taken after four coats) and even then, it's barely noticable on my hands, unless of course the light hits my fingers in just the right place and then you can see the gold and green flashes.

I was thinking I could get more use from this shade if I used it layer, but I can't even think of base color that would be enhanced by a coat of this polish. Any suggestions?

PS: I hope you all are having a wonderful Sunday! Mr. R and I went to the farmers' market today to get our weekly produce, and then we had lunch at Tender Greens. If you are in San Diego, I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant, and definitely get one of their iced teas to go with your meal. You will not be disappointed!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Ooooh, I'm in SD, and I'd love to know where you found these! I've been looking for Ruby Kisses everywhere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you expect it to be this sheer? I find after a while, with experience with a lot of polishes, you really can tell by just moving the bottle around if a polish or sheer or not. Not all, but this one just looked sheer from the get go.

    I think it'd look nice layered over some brighter pinks, corals, peaches, and even reds or magentas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THat is your perfect mannequin hands shade! I like it but I understand that it's not the best if you like bright colors. It looks like there are some tender greens near me! I'd love to try it soon, but today I had Sushi on the Rock; the best sushi I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous on you! I love Ruby Kisses polishes. There is a beauty supply near my house that sells them for $1. I have a few and really love the quality and the neat color selection. I wish they were more readily available since I know a lot of people have a hard time finding the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate: Sure! I found them here (and they also have a huge selection of Jordana nail polishes too!):

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/o-k-beauty-supply-san-diego

    Ariana: I did expect this to be sheer, but I didn't think it would be *this* sheer (as in, four coats needed to see it). lol! And thanks for the suggestions on the layering colors. I didn't think about using a coral--that might be gorgeous! :)

    PCS: I know! Isn't it crazy?? And OMG, you must visit a Tender Greens. Soooo yummy. And YAY for good sushi! :)

    Tropical Mind: Thank you, honey! I really love Ruby Kisses too. I wish they were more widely available. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen RK nail polishes but I haven't tried one yet, I need to check that out! Mannequin hands, lol. That term still makes me chuckle. But it really is a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig