Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, April 16, 2010

Follow-up Friday!

The last time I posted one of these follow-up reviews, several of you indicated that you really like this type of thing, so I'm back with another (and thank you for the great feedback!).

Today I'm going to revisit two past reviews, so let's start with one I did back in July of 2009 for the (then brand new) Styli-Style 24-Hour Power Line & Seal Twist Eyeliner (click here for my original review but please note, this was written before I had a decent digital camera so all pics are blurry thanks to my crappy Blackberry camera).

Not to be confused with the traditional pencil liners from Styli-Style, this is an automatic pencil and the color I reviewed was Topaz, which is a bronzy brown which reminds me a lot of MAC Teddy.  I loved this pencil back in July, and I have to tell you that I love it even more today. I still wear it 2-3 times per week (just yesterday, in fact!), and it's my go-to pencil when I'm in a hurry and just need something that's dependable, always looks great, and lasts.

What I really love the most about this pencil is that the tip is the perfect width to line my eyes quickly and precisely. I also love that it never needs sharpening, which just adds to the I'm-in-a-hurry-and-I-need-something-quick approach that I so often depend on with this pencil. I really can't recommend these Styli-Style Twist liners enough, and if you already love the traditional pencils from Styli-Style, I think you might like the Twists just as much (if not more). I find that I rarely reach for my traditional Styli-Styles since I bought this automatic version. It's just so darn easy.

You can find Styli-Style Twist pencils at CVS, Rite Aid, and probably anywhere else where Styli-Style products are sold.

For my second follow-up, I'm going to revisit a review I wrote back in April of 2009 for some various Sally Girl products from Sally Beauty (click here for my original review). 

In my original review, I talked about the following products (all 99 cents each except for the polishes which are 79 cents each):

Sally Girl Connecting Eye Shadow Compacts in Black Brown, Espresso and Olive
Sally Girl Mini Lip Gloss Wand in LOL
Sally Girl Mini Squeeze Tube Lip Gloss in Hoopla
Sally Girl Nail Color in Champagne Kisses, Way 2 Disco and Type A

So...what do I still use now, one full year later?  Believe it or not, the Mini Squeeze Tube Lip Gloss in Hoopla totally stole my heart, and I still use it probably three or four times a month to this day.  It's a sheer, maraschino red which isn't scary on the lips. It translates more to a "flush" of color (as opposed to a bright neon red) and it smells and tastes like chocolate covered cherries. What's not to love? It's just such a quick and easy way to bring a little color and some shine to your lips without any fuss whatsoever. It's perfect for a light makeup day as well as a when you're all dolled up. It's great by itself as well as layered over a more pigmented lipstick. Love love love. And oh, don't forget the price: just 99 cents (94 cents with your Sally Card).

I do also use my Sally Girl Eyeshadow singles occasionally, and I'm still quite happy with them, but I've got so many new eyeshadows to use these days (thanks Wet n Wild, Rimmel, NYC, Revlon, etc.) that I find that these poor Sally Girl shades are taking a back seat in my stash.

As for the Sally Girl Mini Lip Gloss Wands, I'm afraid these get NO love from me now. After trying and trying to make them work, I've found that most of them don't show up at all on my lips, and due to the size of the wand, it's just really hard to get the product out of the tube and on to my lips. I never find myself reaching for these, sadly.

And let's not forget about the Sally Girl nail polishes. At just 79 cents each, these are a real steal, especially if you want to experiment with colors that you wouldn't normally wear.  BUT, I have to admit that, due to the tiny size of these bottles and brushes, I very rarely reach for these polishes. I hated Type A (a neon purple that dried to an ugly matte finish and chipped like crazy) but the other two shades I bought back in April are nice layering colors. It's just that darn tiny brush that keeps me away from these.

I hope you enjoyed my follow-up reviews. I will continue to do this as long as you continue to enjoy them, so please leave your feedback in the comments and let me know what you think!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Love these 'down the road' posts! Everything is always da bomb when you first try it, but it's great to see which products have stood the test of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Musicalhouses: Yay! I'm so glad you like these. :) And I totally agree--at first when I like something, I get so excited about it, but it's good to know how something performs in the long run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so awesome you keep coming back to these products! I hardly ever keep using something long after I buy it, so when I do have something i do that with, it's definitely worth repurchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the follow-up post. The Sally Girl eye and nail products are the first items I bought shortly after you suggested them in your blog.

    I bought the Styli-style eyeliner in black (all they had that day) but no love there. It smears on my oily lids as bad as the Rimmel. However, I am REALLY loving on automatic eye pencils. Sooo much better than the waste from pencils that break when they are sharpened.

    Love the Sally Girl polish I bought in a bright glittery candy pink. It's on my nails now and has worn really well with the ORLY BONDER and a topcoat.

    I have the same purple color e/s in some other brands that are more pigmented, so this has gone in the little bag I carry in my purse for emergencies only.

    I absolutely adore your reviews - the things that I have chosen NOT to buy are possibly more important than the things that I did buy. Thanks for all you do and I hope you do it for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought and subsequently hated Type A as well!

    I completely agree with you on the Sally Girl polishes too. I bought florescent pink and fluorescent orange to paint my toes with because I knew it was just something to try to satisfy a whim. However after giving it more thought, if I can find the same colors in WnW or NYC I might as well just buy those -- a lot more polish for only 20 cents more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PCS: Thanks, honey! The thing for me is that, if I write a review about something that I really like, chances are it has already become a staple in my stash. So it's easy for me to find things to revisit. The only challenge is trying to remember the things that DIDN'T work for me, because I usually end up tossing those, returning them, or giving them away shortly after I've tested them. lol. :)

    Denise: You are so welcome! I am SO sad that the Styli-Styles didn't work for you. Bummer! Have you tried Revlon ColorStay automatic liners yet? They are awesome and definitely one of my holy grail automatic liners. And I'm glad to hear the Sally Girl polishes are working so well for you (and Bonder too!). Thanks a million for your words of encouragement. That means SO much to me. :)

    PB: Type A = Big Fat FAIL! lol. And you bring up a good point about spending just a tiny bit more for more product (and a bigger brush!). lol! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig