Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, January 29, 2010

Swatches of some new Wet n Wild MegaLast Nail Colors!

Happy Friday, my lovely readers! I don't know about you, but this week has really flown by and I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be in terms of posting new reviews and my latest info about the CVS beauty clearance sale, etc.

So let me take a minute to catch you up to speed before I show you these polish swatches. Hope that's OK! (If not, please feel free to scroll past these updates and get right to the swatches!)

First of all, over the weekend I'll be posting more info about the CVS beauty clearance sale, so please check back because I'll let you know whether or not I was able to return some things I purchased during the clearance, and I've also got some info about some new products that, as far as I know, were not a part of the original batch of clearance products but are on clearance now.

Second, if you're a Lost fan, I don't need to tell you that the premiere of the final season is THIS TUESDAY! Yay! I feel like I've been waiting five years for this premiere, I tell you! I also wanted to tell you that my pals over at WeHeartThis.com have been writing some great Lost-themed posts this week and I'm honored to say that yours truly was asked to write an entry for this special series. If you'd like to see my Lost post for WeHeartThis, please click here (non-Losties might find this interesting too--I promise!).

Third, I wanted to let you know that I finally purchased one of those new Physicians Formula Gel Cream Eyeliner Trios, so please stay tuned because I'll be posting my review very soon (hopefully before the end of the weekend).

And lastly, I've got one more very special Valentine's Day Giveaway planned for you and I promise you don't want to miss this one. So stay tuned because I'll be posting that this evening!

Now, on to those swatches!

[Note: all swatches were taken after two coats, with the exception of 2% Milk, was was taken after three coats]

If you saw my original review of the new Wet n Wild MegaLast Nail Color, Disturbia, you know that I am loving this new collection (click here for my original review to find out more about the formula, brush, etc.). I'm delighted to have received some additional colors to share with you, and I am really loving these colors so far (but I've got an unexpected favorite, which you'll see in a second). So let's get started!

Under Your Spell


OK, let's here it: Ooooh! Aaaaah! Under Your Spell is a sheer black base with a ton, and I do mean a ton, of gorgeous blood-red shimmer running through it. I was able to get full opacity with just two coats (yay!). If you are a fan of dark, vampy or black shades, you need this. Period. In real life it is SO much prettier and in certain lighting you can truly see that it's a sheer black with red shimmer as opposed to this pic which kind of makes it look like it's just a really dark red. In person, it's a real stunner.

2% Milk


2% Milk is just that--a milky sheer that, in my humble opinion, would look fantastic on just about anyone. It's definitely not a pinky sheer (I detect no pink at all in this) but more of a neutral milky beige cream that goes on far less yellow than it looks in the bottle. This is by far one of the nicest milky sheers I have worn in terms of how it looks against my NC20 skin--a lot of times milky sheers make my hands look either ruddy or jaundiced but this is really a nice, clean, sophisticated neutral on me. This is the kind of polish that screams, "Wear me on a job interview! I will make you look put-together and polished!"

Through the Grapevine


Do remember a few years ago when OPI My Auntie Drinks Chianti was all the rage? At one point I think every woman in my office owned a bottle because it was just one of most stunning violet-purple cremes to come around in a long time. Well, I rummaged around my nail polish stash the other night for a good hour trying to find my bottle but, sadly, I couldn't locate it. So you're going to have to trust me that, in real life, this reminds me so much of My Auntie Drinks Chianti that I would venture to guess it's a perfect dupe. And just in time for springtime toes (I loooove this shade on toes, I tell you!). So apologies for the picture but my camera really messes up certain shades of pinks, purples and reds. In real life this is a lush, deep, violet-purple creme that has a beautiful blue tone to it--nothing like the pink-based shade you see here.

Tropicalia


Whoa! My swatch makes this look like it's practically a neon, but I promise that's not the case in real life. This a bright, cheery true coral creme that, in my opinion, does not veer into the obnoxious. It's bright, yes, but not too bright. Put it this way: you could definitely wear it to the office without fearing any snide remarks from coworkers. This would also make a stunning toe color for spring and summer.

And last but certainly not least, let me present to you my unexpected favorite of this collection so far:

Break the Ice


Now before you go writing Break the Ice off as a boring frosty white, allow me to tell you about what can't see in this picture. This is a white like no other in my collection, because it's got the most baby-fine irridescent/holographic shimmer running through it that makes the entire color just pop and come alive when you paint it on your nails. I'm not even really a white nail color fan, but this sheer, sparkly white truly had me at hello. For me, it instantly makes my entire nail bed come alive! It has an ethereal quality to it that I really wish I could show you in pictures. This one surprised the heck out of me, and I think it would look even more amazing on deeper skintones.

If I could ask each of you to try just one color out of this new collection (I know, why would you limit yourself given the low price of these, right?) but if you did have to pick just one color, I would say try Break the Ice. It's versatile, yet stunning at the same time and unless whites in general look horrible on you, I would venture to guess it will be your unexpected new fave too.

So...do you already own any of the new Wet n Wild MegaLast Nail Colors? As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I really really really want Under Your Spell. It will probably be the next nail polish I buy. I am trying to cut back on buying new polishes because I have a ton already. lol. I don't think I can resist this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mz. More: Oooh, I think Tropicalia would look amazing on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi: lol, I know what you mean about trying to cut back. But Under Your Spell is a true dazzler so I am deeming it worthy of your dollars. lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was looking at through the grapevine the other day and i should have grabbed it. next time i'm at the store, i'm going to get it. instead i picked up sunny side up and kalaidescope.

    btw, i think i found a possible essie mint candy apple dupe from sinful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for these but haven't found them yet...:(

    Loving Tropicalia, Through the Grapevine, and Under Your Spell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh - these are pretty - these are more like the colors I would wear :D Thanks for the awesome swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...I'm on such a nail polish kick right now. I want to buy so many colors (totally lemming rimmel pro steel grey, i think that's what it's called) and I want to get my hands on tropicalia and under your spell! I'm also on the search for an inexpensive pale lilac. Unfortunately, it seems as though either my nails are really weak lately or they react badly with nail polish :( They have been peeling like nobody's business. Do you have any advice on increasing the strength and health of my nails?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just what I need - more polish lemmings right after I've discovered the nail board on MUA and transdesign!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those are all so pretty! I need to book me a flight to the US just to buy makeup XD I especially like Under Your Spell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have "Undercover" and I love it! I did a small review @ my blog. I *need* Break the Ice and Through the Grapevine! Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Niki: I really think you need to go back for that one (and can't wait to hear about how you like Sunny Side Up)! And a dupe for Essie Mint Candy Apple???? Do tell! Please!!! :)

    MMM: I think those three shades that you're drawn to would love amazing on you! Can't wait for you to find them so I can see your blog post! :)

    ndoodles: So glad I could offer you pics of some colors that interest you! Yay! :)

    Rubychopsticks: lol--yeah, I hear ya. I'm on a major nail color kick myself these days. lol. And as for that pale lilac--OPI make several great shades like that. Maybe go to your local beauty supply and check them out? I was on a pale lilac kick a few years ago and the danger with buying drugstore versions (for me at least) was that they tended to be very streaky and impossible to apply. So my suggestion to you is to splurge and get an OPI, China Glaze or Essie color if you really want a nice pale lilac. What it costs you in extra $$ it will save you in headaches when you're applying it. lol. As for nail treatments, I have yet to find one that truly works for splitting, peeling nails (a problem I have too). But I have noticed that since I've been using Orly Bonder as a base coat, and keeping my nails manicured, the peeling has lessened a lot. But that's just what has worked for me. Hope that helps!

    JT: LOL!!! Well...I could apologize but...am I really "sorry"? LOL!!!! :) xo

    Lillian: lol! If you book that flight, you'll need to bring a few empty suitcases with you, for sure (and I know I'd have to do the same if I went to the UK). xo

    Susie: Yay!! Finally someone who is drawn to Break the Ice! Yay! I tell you, it is flipping GORGEOUS in person. I'd love to know what you think of it if you get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @recessionista: i'm going to do a post on my new spring nail colors. the sinful colors mint apple polish that i got is not quite a dupe for essie's mint candy apple, but it's a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Niki: Thanks so much for the update! I am really looking forward to your spring nail color post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! Thanks for posting those! Now I can't wait for them to arrive in canada =D

    Under Your Spell, Through The Grapevine and (especially) Tropicalia look amazing! =DDD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gaby: You are so welcome!! I am crossing my fingers for you that these will become available in CA soon!! I think Under You Spell would look amazing on you (and the others of course too). :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did a very quick LOST manicure for the premiere last night. Thought you might find it amusing. I would also love some ideas for more LOST manicures. The Dharma symbols were just too hard for me to render accurately that small. http://concreteandnailpolish.blogspot.com/2010/02/sally-hansen-mosaic-creme-my-lost-nails.html

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig